+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Idol - 2006

Canadian Idol - 2006

The first show has yet to begin but this was recently published about Aaron from last season! I really liked him and am glad he is doing so well.
    -----------------------------------

Attachment 17352
    Hometown: St. Thomas, ON
    Audition City: London, ON

Almost a year after placing third in Season 3 of Canadian Idol, easy-going guy-next-door Aaron Walpole has plenty going for him -- but then again, he always did.

As with many Idol finalists, Walpole had already started to establish himself in the entertainment business before trying out for the show. He went right back to his day job, stage acting, after finishing last year's competition, as well as quickly getting to work on his debut album.

Last April, the 27-year-old Stratford Festival veteran appeared in a month-long run of the musical "Rock and Roll" at London, Ont.'s Grand Theatre (he played Parker, the lead role).

"Even if I hadn't participated in Idol, I'd still be entertaining today," Walpole told Eye on Idol, moments before judging the Kitchener-Waterloo Media Idol contest with Sass Jordan during this year's Canadian Idol auditions in that city. "But Idol definitely sped things up for me as far as recording goes."

Walpole is currently trying to finalize distribution details for his finished album, which he hopes to release sometime this summer. The graduate of Sheridan College's musical theatre program says the music on the album was selected to please all his fans, which vary in age from grade school students to senior citizens.

"I recently got the chance to meet my oldest fan that I have heard of yet," said Walpole, referring to 102-year-old St. Thomas resident Leah Campbell. "She's a sweet old lady, and was apparently calling in to the show constantly to vote for me on her rotary phone!"

The upcoming release includes a cover of the Guess Who's "These Eyes" and concludes with a mystery track that Walpole is keeping mum about until it hits the stores.

"It's going to be a big surprise," he said. "All I'll say is it's me recording with my idols."

In past interviews, Walpole has listed acts including the Barenaked Ladies, Meatloaf, Blues Traveler, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jeff Healy as among his inspirations.

In November 2005, he played with the Barenaked Ladies at London's John Labatt Centre, singing the band's "Break Your Heart" (which he performed on Canadian Idol) with their accompaniment.

Earlier that month, he performed in a massive United Way benefit concert with that year's Idol winner and runner-up, Melissa O'Neil and Rex Goudie, as well as R & B singer Shawn Desman and Glass Tiger vocalist Alan Frew.

He has played in front of crowds as large as 15,000 (although he refers to the Barenaked Ladies show, in front of just 5,000, as the "highlight" of his concert career), and is looking forward to a cross-country tour to promote his CD.

"I can't wait to see all the amazing places in this wicked country of ours," said Walpole.

The level-headed rocker is blunt about the risks he took leaving an established acting career to try his luck on the show.

"I sacrificed months of income to be on Canadian Idol," he said, noting being older than many of the show's competitors meant he had more financial obligations to juggle while taking part in the competition.

"But I made it all back from the promotion I got from being on the show. It was a risk, but I'm so glad I took it."
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 05:31 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Let The Fandemonium Begin!

New show format for Idol season's May 29 launch

Changes in Canadian Idol's format and an increase in talented hopefuls has led to tougher competition for fewer spots in the show's live-to-air episodes.

By the time Idol hits the airwaves on May 29 (8 p.m. ET on CTV), more than 200 hopefuls who began this week's elimination rounds will have been knocked down to 22, a change from the 32 featured on the show's vote-in rounds over the past three seasons.

According to CTV's senior director of programming communications, Scott Henderson, the shift was designed to give Idol viewers a better chance to know the competitors and pick their favourites.

"It provides for a better assessment of who the viewers would want in their Top 10," he told Eye on Idol. "Going with a Top 22 allows us to eliminate people from the very beginning."

In previous years the audition tour culminated with a much-smaller Top 100, but the increase of talented singers walking onto the Idol set led to a blizzard of gold tickets being given out.

The show's voting stage begins in June. From then to the final selection, fans across the country will have the ultimate say in who goes and who stays to pursue their dream of being a professional singer.

"Let the fan-demonium begin!" said Susanne Boyce, CTV president of programming. "We're thrilled to bring Canadians another summer of music and celebration of this country's undiscovered gems."

And Canadians are clearly just as excited. Over the show's third season, more than 38 million votes were cast by viewers. That's more than one per Canadian and an increase of 19 per cent from the year before.

With an audience of more than 2 million viewers, the show was the most-watched in the country by the end of last summer, seen by over 17 million people, making it the most successful English-language Canadian series ever produced.

Future star searches are already being planned, as CTV has secured Canadian rights to the Idol format for an addition four seasons.

Here's how this summer's episodes will unfold (be sure to check your local listings to confirm dates and times):

Monday, May 29 / Monday, June 5 / Monday, June 12 (8 to 9 p.m. ET): Highlights from Canadian Idol's 2006 audition tour.

Monday, June 19 / Tuesday, June 20 (8-9 p.m. ET): Watch the drama unfold as Canadian Idol's first-ever "Top 200" Gold Ticket group is whittled down to only 22 semi-finalists by Canadian Idol's celebrity judges.

Week of June 26: It's Canadian Idol's 100th episode and to celebrate the Top 22 semi-finalists will perform live, after which voters will take to the telephones to vote for their favourites. A different group of 11 will perform each night during two 90-minute live broadcasts. On the third night, the voting outcome is revealed in a live 30-minute results episode, and four members of the Top 22 will be sent home.

Week of July 3: divided into two groups of nine, the remaining 18 finalists will perform live over two nights, after which voters will cast their votes. On the third night, the voting outcome is revealed in a live, 30-minute results episode. Four members of the Top 18 will be sent home.

Week of July 10: divided into two groups of seven, the remaining 14 finalists will perform live over two nights. On the third night, Canada meets the Canadian Idol Top 10 when the final four members of the Top 22 are eliminated in a 30-minute show.

Week of July 17: Canadian Idol returns to Toronto's John Bassett Theatre for the first Top 10 show, a special 90-minute, live episode. On the next night, one member of the Top 10 goes home in the first live Top 10 results show. Idol will continue for the next eight weeks with live performance shows on one night and live results shows on the next.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...ol2006&no_ads=

Is anybody going to post any spoilers about tonight's show? Please?

Ogopogo! I know that you must be from
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Kelowna!
    Attachment 17422

I haven't heard any spoilers yet. And it's on in less than an hour. The judges are the same as last year. Which means not a lot of expertise on the panel

Tonight is supposed to be just highlights, so I doubt there are any spoilers to be had yet. We'll have to wait until it's down to the real competition.

Have fun watching!
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 05:33 AM.

Mods...are we not getting a forum for CI this year?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fanatic
    I was out tonight but taped the show on the tv in my bedroom. Of curse my hubby is sleeping so I've only seen the first few minutes. They opened with a rap song about trying to find the top idol and it was great! I wondered at first if we were losing the familiar idol tune, but it came on afterwards. I gather from an article in next week's TV Guide that John Dore is gone from this year's show as he is doing stand-up stuff. I'm sorry - nutty though they were I enjoyed his additions. Tomorrow as I get I'll watch the rest of the episode.

AJane: Nope. This is it. If you have any pull, , go for it!

Tonight was entertaining. The name of the judges sound like they're right out of Hillbilly Country: Jake, Sass, Zack, Farley. Pretty redneck Canadian, eh?

I thought that Zack was getting a little too nasty to some of the kids. It's just a show, dagnabbit, not the Grammy's He's on video on the main site commenting about Taylor Hick's win. I can't download it so if someone could check it out it would be appreciated. I imagine it's not positive. Nothing he says is positive.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new hip hop Song: Are you the ONE? It's catchy!

I'm tired of seeing my City represented by West Edmonton Mall. There's more to it than that. Really. Like, hockey

I think there's a couple of good or potentially good singers there. Next week will be better when they whittle it down to 22 top competitors.

Official Site FYI is: http://www.ctv.ca/idol/gen/Home.html

I enjoyed the show last night.

That song was catchy at the beginning....and I'm not a big Hip Hop fan...my little one were singing it by the end, so it's pretty catchy! Apparently they guy who wrote it is a big Hip Hop guy from Yellowknife....I did notice that Melissa and Rex were in the mix of people there (atleast I'm pretty sure they were).

Looks like we are in for some good singers this year. Of course I cannot remember anyones name yet! Lol....

Zack was a bit grumpy in KW....it was pretty funny that he almost went flying off the stage though!

I haven't checked out Zack's comments on Hicks AI win...I will and post what he says MissKitty...unless someone beats me to it

Thanks for posting the shows format too....Looks like we'll have CI till August!!

I'm surprised there is no forum for CI yet.....
    ---------------------
    opps....

Alright for some reason I can't get any videos to load from the CI site...I wonder if there is a glitch??

Weird I'll keep trying!
    ---------------------
    opps....

Aw. I loved having a forum. Could we maybe somehow merge it with the AI forum? Pretty please. (misskitty, begging is all I've got. )

Anyway...I saw lots of great hopefuls last night. Particularly liked: kid with piercings from Yellowknife, bodyshop girl, and the high-jumper (man, the guy is an athlete, a talented singer, AND great-looking - talk about a package). We only got a quick clip of blue-haired girl, but I liked the little I heard.

I thought the culture gap between AI & CI was very evident last night. I love that our judges will wave off the divas and embrace the hopefuls who have a more unique look and sound.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast