+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Idol - 2006

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I thought the culture gap between AI & CI was very evident last night. I love that our judges will wave off the divas and embrace the hopefuls who have a more unique look and sound.
    i don't quiet know what you mean?

Well, I think that AI pays lip service to the idea of having a *unique* Idol, but that concept is not evident in the people who end up in the top 24. Could anyone tell apart most of the girls who were in AI's top 12 this year? Taylor is an anomaly - remember, the judges didn't even want to put him through to the top 24 (IMO, the only reason Randy & Paula put him through was to spite Simon). AI seems to be looking for a completely different kind of Idol than CI is - how far would Theresa Sokyrka, say, get on AI? And Jacob Hoggard? Josh Palmer? Billy Klippert?

This may have to do with our judges - both Sass and Zack have rock n'roll pedigrees, and Jake had the Tragically Hip. They favour a more alternative sound, and seem to be looking for a new artist, rather than a new pop tart. IMO, that's what makes CI better than AI (although I admit last season's CI was utterly dismal).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    oh i see what you mean. Well you have to keep in mind, the first thing Ai is concerned about is how the show would do on TV, Ai is more about the characters. If you're too boring in the auditions, unless you are very good you won't make it far.
    I agree Ci is kind of the contemporary sound side, Theresa, jacob and the other would not have made it that far, i am sure they would have been cut the hollywood round. Kalan could have made it but not real top 5 there in AI.
    the bottom line: 2 differents countries with diffents cultures.

Yes, last season's CI was a complete utterly dismal

Aw. I loved having a forum. Could we maybe somehow merge it with the AI forum? Pretty please. (misskitty, begging is all I've got. )
    I'll join you in that begging. CI had it's own forum every other season, what happened this year?
    This is going to be hard to follow thats for sure.

Aw. I loved having a forum. Could we maybe somehow merge it with the AI forum? Pretty please. (misskitty, begging is all I've got. )

Anyway...I saw lots of great hopefuls last night. Particularly liked: kid with piercings from Yellowknife, bodyshop girl, and the high-jumper (man, the guy is an athlete, a talented singer, AND great-looking - talk about a package). We only got a quick clip of blue-haired girl, but I liked the little I heard.

I thought the culture gap between AI & CI was very evident last night. I love that our judges will wave off the divas and embrace the hopefuls who have a more unique look and sound.
    I'm joining in on the begging too.

Did the high-jumper guy make it? (I can't remember)

Quote Originally Posted by march View Post
    I'll join you in that begging. CI had it's own forum every other season, what happened this year?
    Yeah, I concur, it should have it's own forum!!

On an unimportant note, I noticed they misspelled Ponoka, Alberta (as 'Panoka') last night.

I'ev always been a big fan of C.I. and have been telling my b/f how its quite a bit different from A.I. He watched it last night for the first time ever and really enjoyed the laughter and overall light heartedness from the judges in comparision to Paula, Randy and Simon. We were rolling on the floor about the farts and Zack scooting around in his chair. Great start so far! Can't wait for the next epi.

Quote Originally Posted by march View Post
    What happened is that we're not covering it this season. A thread is what anything we're not covering gets.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    What happened is that we're not covering it this season. A thread is what anything we're not covering gets.
    John, is there a particular reason you're not covering it this year? And by covering, do you mean having it recapped or is there more to it than that? I'm sure a recapper could be found if that's what is required. Cause I'm right there too, hat in hand, with the rest of the beggars!
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ivy
    I'ev always been a big fan of C.I. and have been telling my b/f how its quite a bit different from A.I. He watched it last night for the first time ever and really enjoyed the laughter and overall light heartedness from the judges in comparision to Paula, Randy and Simon. We were rolling on the floor about the farts and Zack scooting around in his chair. Great start so far! Can't wait for the next epi.
    Glad to hear your b/f enjoyed it. I've always thought our judges were so much superior, and your mention of the laughter and light heartedness is a good description of why. I know it wouldn't take much to be an improvement on all the Dawg's and the loopy babbling, but right from the beginning, they've always had coherant relatively intelligent things to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00
    Theresa, jacob and the other would not have made it that far, i am sure they would have been cut the hollywood round. Kalan could have made it but not real top 5 there in AI.
    Have to disagree with you here. Theresa probably would have made Top 10 as I'm sure U.S. voters would have appreciated her utter sweetness too, but maybe not too far into the competition, particularly with her voice problems. Jacob would have been a big hit, I'm sure. His uniqueness would absolutely have grabbed the viewers. Look how they glommed on Bo for his rocker schtick. And Kalan would have made it very far, with that voice and that cuteness. AI has never had a contestant with a voice like Kalan's (except maybe Clay who didn't do too badly. ) I'd like to think the Americans would have appreciated his grace and humility as well. Simon Fuller has been quoted as saying that if Kalan had been on American Idol, he'd be a worldwide star by now. But I agree, CI 3 didn't nearly measure up.
    Hi AJane!! As usual, I agree with you. Although I've read a spoiler that there is a diva that the judges are pimping big time. She apparently brings them to tears. My only consolation about this news is that the audiences, on both AI and CI, don't seem to embrace the divas as much as the judges do. Yes, they usually have some very vocal fans on the boards who think the very loudness of them means they are wonderful, but fortunately, the viewers and voters only agree to a certain point and my ears are eventually spared.

Monday, May 29 / Monday, June 5 / Monday, June 12 (8 to 9 p.m. ET): Highlights from Canadian Idol's 2006 audition tour.
    So is CI not on tonight? There are only three nights of audition shows once a week spread out over three weeks? Hmm, wonder if that's enough to get the audience's attention. These audition shows are not particularly riveting t.v., and last night seemed to me to be even less so. Too many geeks and freaks and not enough of the people that are actually going through.
    Monday, June 19 / Tuesday, June 20 (8-9 p.m. ET): Watch the drama unfold as Canadian Idol's first-ever "Top 200" Gold Ticket group is whittled down to only 22 semi-finalists by Canadian Idol's celebrity judges.
    And they're only taking two nights to show all the cuts? That's a huge wack of cuts to make, from 200 to 22. Mind you, I do think the format is going to work better this year, in that we'll see all the contestants (those that make it past the weekly cuts at least) every week, instead of only once in four weeks like happened with the groups of 8 in the past.

misskitty, you're on to me! Have you been here? Beautiful spot.

A couple of people caught my eye last night. The be-ringed guy from NWT did, but not in a good way. The Asian girl from Vancouver had a very distinctive voice. I liked her. The one that did the impersonations was terrific, but I would have liked to have heard her own voice. Did she make it through? Giovanni was cute (his family was not) and had a good voice, but again, only 16. Too young to handle the competition, IMO.

I liked Ashley from KW - wasn't she the cutie who rounded her height up? I didn't see the comparison to Suzi Rawk though. Katie who did Leaving on a Jet Plane was ok, but I sure didn't get the goosebumps the judges did. Didn't see any guys that really grabbed my attention for their singing ability.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Anyway...I saw lots of great hopefuls last night. Particularly liked: kid with piercings from Yellowknife, bodyshop girl, and the high-jumper (man, the guy is an athlete, a talented singer, AND great-looking - talk about a package).
    And, um, AJane, which package would you be talking about???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast