+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canadian Idol 06/28 Ė A Fresh of Breath Air

Canadian Idol 06/28 Ė A Fresh of Breath Air

Itís Tuesday night, which means itís time for another group of relatively anonymous faces to perform for us on Canadian Idol before we form what will be our Top 10. Will it beat last yearís group? I guess that depends if you like the cast of The OC, which the Top 10 is quickly shaping up to resemble.

First, as always, Ben greets the judges. Jake and Farley both give their usual awkward wave, as does Sass, who is donning a baby blue scarf which doubles as a neck brace and something to hide her hickeys. Nifty. Zack does his usual finger swoop which I have yet to discover the meaning of and the reason for. Ben asks the judges his questions that heís been working on all week. Jake says that after last week, he hopes Group 3 realizes they only have one shot. And not to listen to the judgeís predictions, of course, since they all thought Josh would be a shoe in. Farley thought song choice was the biggest problem last week and what ultimately did Josh in. With all this talk about Josh, Iíd be thinking there are only 7 Wild Card spots left, guys. Sass thinks the Top 10 is lacking some testosterone. Geez, give Daryl a few years, lady. Zack says there is a bit of friskiness in the air, which can only mean one thing Ė Sass has been hitting the sauce early this evening.

DJ Jazzy Barb & The Fresh Ben
    First up is Barbra Preisman from Thornhill, Ontario who is a big jazz fan. She tells Ben she has a special connection with the legendary Ella Fitzgerald and feels that Ellaís singing directly to her when she hears her sing. Um, Barbra, I wouldnít be showing off your crazy too early in the competition.

Barbra selects I Canít Give You Anything But Love and there is something oddly fascinating about a girl that looks so young singing such a mature style of song. Better choice than Britney Spears, thatís for sure. Jake says sheís the cutest thing, congratulates her on doing her thing and hopes people realize how special she is. Farley says sheís wonderful to watch. After mangling the words, Sass finally says that sheís a breath of fresh air and a vast improvement over last week. Zack is less than impressed and only agrees that sheís very cute.

Gonna Make You, Make You, Make You Disappointed
    Another Toronto area girl, Giselle Correia from Mississauga, Ontario follows to the stage with the Pretendersí Brass In Pocket. I immediately give her credit for selecting an original song and Iím blown away by her power. I personally, really enjoyed it and felt she did a great job when I wasnít expecting very much. I could have done without the piano accompaniment, but I guess she doesnít have much choice in the matter. Weíll quickly realize that I, not surprisingly, know nothing.

Farley starts with the comments and says sheís one of the more powerful singers, but she had some groove issues and didnít win him over. I am very uncool and donít have the slightest idea what he means by groove issues. I keep thinking of a warped album record. (For you kids out there, itís what music was on before CDís, itís black and shiny and has lots of grooves. But not the kind of grooves Farley was talking about, I donít know what that meant, remember?) Getting back on track, Sass agrees and says it was uninspired and felt Giselle could do something more dynamic. Zack says she likely wonít get through because Canada seems to be voting for Lawrence Welk type singers. Great, Zack, ĺ of the audience has no idea what that means. I do, of course. Iím starting to feel really old tonight. Wrapping up the comments, Jake says she sang it slower than the original and she didnít get in the pocket of Brass In Pocket. Clever. Much of Canada collectively rolls their eyes.

At Least Heís Memorable
    Columbian born Diego Alvarez, from Montreal says he wants to be the Canadian Idol in order to represent both Canadians and Non-Canadians. I assume he means Non-Canadian born people that live in Canada because thatís a whole lot of people and almost every country, it seems, has their own frigging Idol show now. Diego sings George Michaelís One More Try and it immediately reminds me of those dark, dark days in Grade 9 when I would repeatedly play this song after a horrible boy named Ryan broke my heart. Diego sounds better than he performs as he looks very awkward and uncomfortable, much as I was back in those Grade 9 days and probably the reason Ryan broke my heart. :sniff:

Sass is speechless, but does manage to tell him that there were glaring inconsistencies, despite the fact he hit some great notes. Zack says there are some great singers in the Top 32, but Diego is not among them in any way, shape or form. Ouch. Iím guessing Diego was not one of Zackís choices to move on. Jake says Zack was deaf last week and continue to be so, even though Jake has a hard time coming up with something positive to say. Farley says he wishes he could give Diego one more try. Farley, donít bother. It didnít work when Jake made a bad pun, itís no better when you do it.

Mariah Goes To Bollywood
    Yet another girl from Toronto, Devika Mathur takes to the stage with Mariah Careyís Hero, not to be confused with Nickelbackís Hero. And yes, okay, Devika isnít technically from Toronto as she just moved to Canada last year, but she currently lives there. I guess the producers blew their travel budget last week and had to resort to bussing in the local competitors. Devika, as with her initial audition, sings with a tremendous amount of elegance and grace and pulls of a good performance.

Zack says she looks ridiculously amazing and the best theyíve had so far. Jake agrees and thinks tonightís performance was the best sheís performed. Farley thinks she exudes serenity and could go on until the break of dawn with his praise. Sass joins the fan club and agrees that sheís the best so far.

At this point in the show, we have a lame LíOreal spot. I normally donít comment on these because theyíre so incredibly lame, but the guys end up making pink ĎHOTí T-shirts for the girls in Kensington Market. Itís cute. Oh, and Iím so going to buy that hair straightening lotion. My hair gets so frizzy in this heat, doncha know. Crap, I guess that means LíOreal wins.

Jason Greeley Meets Jacob Hoggard
    Burlington, Newfoundlandís Rex Goudie explains to Ben that he always wears his white hat because his family gave it to him before he left for Toronto, all leaving encouraging notes on the inside brim. Apparently, heís very much attached to it as we see many clips of him, many clips, of Rex wearing his beloved cap. Ben asks if Rex would trade it for $7 and an autographed picture of himself. Do people actually want an autographed picture of Ben? In any case, Rex refuses the last of the travel budget and takes to the stage with After The Rain

Halfway through the performance, Rex pulls out a lighter and does that lighter thing that they do at concerts. It seems rather hokey to me, but itís different and his fellow competitors on the couch all join in. Jake says heís a great performer and Farley agrees, complimenting him on his natural presence. Sass starts tripping over herself at the sudden appearance of some testosterone and ends up calling him Sexy Rexy, convinced heíll be hearing a lot of that. Not from me, Iíve always had a natural aversion to the word Ďsexyí. Zack says some people in this group are going to have to get in through the wild cards, since Rex is going all the way.

The Obligatory Whitney Houston Performance
    Another Mississauga girl, Michelle Madeira is next with One Moment In Time. Michelle says that she chose the song because itís something she can really connect with and feels it means something special to her. Of course it is, Michelle, but likely the rest of the competitors could also relate, so itís not all that unique. At least itís not A Moment Like This. Nonetheless, Michelle does a very good job and sings Whitney better than most. And as you know, many, many try.

Farley says tonight is shaping up to be a battle of the composed, but Sass thinks her performance was a bit too composed. Zack predicts Michelle would have gone through if she sang last week, but thinks there is a spark of personality and personal genius that is missing about her. Jake says sheís likely the best technical singer of the night, but he agrees with the judges that sheís on the wrong side of boring. Michelle counters by saying she hopes she has another chance to show she belongs in the Top 10.

Who Says Good Looks Donít Get You Everywhere?
    Next up is pretty boy Barrett Peitsch from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Seriously, this is a good looking guy. Barrett had previously auditioned, but didnít make it through, so heís even more determined to do his best. Unfortunately, he chooses a song that I hate, Walking In Memphis, which automatically means itís a bad song choice. After all, it doesnít matter if the rest of Canada loves that song, if I hate it, youíre screwed. (I donít really believe that, by the way) Barrett seems to initially have some difficulty with it, but struggles enough to pull off a reasonably good performance. I think, I donít really know. I was preoccupied by his dimples.

Sass says he has a real specific tone and he knows what to do with it. She says heís not the greatest, but not the worst. She manages to restrain from saying anything about his looks. I guess sheís not into pretty boys. Zack says that there was some fear of putting Barrett through since heís so good looking and has so much charisma that heíd make it to the Top 10 no matter what, but after tonight, he deserves it. Give us a little credit, Zack, weíre not THAT shallow. (Heís probably right, though). Itís Jakeís turn and he has to wait until Farley stops laughing until he can comment. It seems Jake isnít a big fan of Barrett and his favourite part of the song is when it got silent for a moment. Jealous much? Farley brushes off the criticism and says Jake was thinking of something mean to say before Barrett even opened his mouth. Farley agrees with Zack and says that he did a good job, but the dimples are Top 10. Geez, I guess we now have Barrett and Rex as a shoe in, the rest of them can all go home. At least Sass has her testosterone fix. As Ben stands with Barrett afterwards, he says now he knows what Seacrest must feel like. Iím puzzled for a few moments, as youíd think Ben would get that feeling back in, oh, season ONE, but then I realize he was comparing how tall Barrett is next to himself. Ah, Ben made a funny. See what happens when youíre not overly rehearsed?

You Go And Save The Best For Last
    Despite the fact that the judges have already made their predictions, Amber Fleury, from Calgary takes to the stage with I Canít Make You Love Me. For those of you keeping score, sheís the first female of the night that doesnít hail from the Toronto area. I suppose I could be the only one that cares about such things. Amber does an incredible job and sings each and every word with a tremendous amount of emotion. You donít take a bathroom break when this girlís on.

Zack says itís going to be really tough for her to beat cute boys, but Canadian Idol could be on for 100 years and sheíd still sing better than anyone theyíve ever had on the show. I guess that officially makes Theresa second best. Again. Jake says his whole body was vibrating, which isnít as pervy as you might think it is, and agrees that Amber is the best singer theyíve ever had. Zack pipes in that itís total heartbreak when she sings. Farley makes his second bad pun of the night when he says that her performance will make everyone love her. Sass says there is a stunning and haunting quality of emotion that comes from her and she was almost in tears. Afterwards, all four rise to their feet as they give her a standing ovation.

As Group 3 takes to the stage to wave goodbye, I canít help but chuckle at the sight. Rex, Barrett and Amber are all beaming, while the rest of the group looks as if their dog just died. Who will make it through the Top 10? Will it be Rex & Barrett? Barrett & Amber? Or Amber & Rex? Will the other 5 even show up? Find out Wednesday nightÖ
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Holy fast recap Miss F! Great job!!

As Ben stands with Barrett afterwards, he says now he knows what Seacrest must feel like. Iím puzzled for a few moments, as youíd think Ben would get that feeling back in, oh, season ONE, but then I realize he was comparing how tall Barrett is next to himself. Ah, Ben made a funny. See what happens when youíre not overly rehearsed?
    I had NO idea where Ben was going with that comment....
    ---------------------
    opps....

FORT Regular
    It took me a couple of minutes to pick up what he meant, but then I just rolled my eyes. LOL

Barrett seems to initially have some difficulty with it, but struggles enough to pull off a reasonably good performance. I think, I donít really know. I was preoccupied by his dimples.
    Hahaha. Yeah, I was too.

CCL
    Sass thinks the Top 10 is lacking some testosterone. Geez, give Daryl a few years, lady. Zack says there is a bit of friskiness in the air, which can only mean one thing Ė Sass has been hitting the sauce early this evening.

So quick and so good! Nice job, Miss F!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    That was a great recap Miss F. Very descriptive, and yet quite humorous. I had a great time reading. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread