+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canadian Idol 06/08 - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Canadian Idol 06/08 - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Time passes by but things don't necessarily change. Summer is here, Paul Martin is still the Prime Minister and Ben Mulroney still hosts Canadian Idol, at the best of his ability. The only change that could happen is that hockey might come back. I’m not dreaming but I will need something else to criticize after Suzi or Moffatt Boy win this competition.

We're Trying to Be Polite, But We Really Want You to Go.

The fighting quartet has to get the contestants down to the magic number of 32. If, like me, the top 24 AI did this year annoyed you, never fear, as we Canucks stick to the good old formula. It’s the duets round, where we discovered how wonderful Theresa was last year.

The show starts with some advice from the judges. For some reason, Zack likes to give out his thoughts of wisdom while shouting. The contestants have the choice between a few different songs and have just a couple of hours to learn them the best way they can. These songs are Time After Time, From This Moment On, I Got You Babe and Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing.

Jon is paid to be annoying so he executes his task marvelously. He visits the singing couple, Dave and Sheena as well as Jason (brown-coat little guy) and Amanda. I’ve been harsh on the guy yesterday but I have to admit he has personality. Some people are even practicing with water bottles as microphones! Everyone wants Jon to go away and someone slips a note under his or her door saying just that.

You Can Run, You Can Hide, But You Can't Escape My Lyrics

First song presented is Time After Time and the first duet is Bree and Stephanie. We also see Erica and Diego, Jade and Alinka as well as a few others. They all sound good, especially the first two girls. Jake has tears in his eyes after their performance. Is Jake vying for a spot on Train 48 with his actings skills? Wow. The man can cry, get mad and later on, create drama.

Others have decided to sing I Got You Babe such as Aaron and the singing couple. Farley likes their performance a lot and they do really seem in love. I don’t think they’ll both advance in the top 32, however, because the fact that they’re together may create some problems. Moving on, we go back to the popular choice of Time After Time with my boy Jenner and his partner Cher. She forgets some of the lyrics many times in the song but he keeps his composure. For some unknown reason, Zack asks Jenner to sing the chorus by himself. Poor guy sings it all wrong and my heart breaks.

Amanda and Jason are up next and as much as I would love to see them do well, they’re all over the place with their voices and timing. Amanda looks like she’s about to cry again and the kids both feel they missed their chance.

Some people sing Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing, like Josh and Sarah Loverock. (I just love her last name!) I enjoy their performance and only one word could describe it, at the risk of sounding like a 8 year-old: cool.

Shania Twain’s songs will never stop playing on Canadian airwaves so why not feature her hit From This Moment On on CI? Some other people do sound great together, like Isabelle and the young Chad. Dave Moffatt decided to grace the judges with his presence and his duet partner is Bobbi Smith. They both feel confident about their abilities. Barrett was there too, at some point. Him and his wonderful dimples.

Goodbye Predictability

The judges deliberate and they have to cut 44 people at this stage. Farley loses some battles 3 against 1, Zack tries to get rid of Diego but fails and Dianelys is nervous. The contestants will discover their fate by looking at their pictures on a board and on the back, it will say if they are safe or taking the long road back to the East or the West.

In a flash, we know that Suzi is safe. I’m nearly shocked. Yeah, right. Melody and Chad are staying. Ivy O is oh so gone and so are Amanda and Jason! This I didn’t see coming at all. Sheena, the female half of the lovebirds was apparently not good enough but Dave (the non-Moffatt one) is lucky enough to stay. Eh, at least he’ll have a couple of votes from his girlfriend. My heart breaks again when my suspicions come true and Jenner is leaving. He wasn’t that good of a singer but I’m outraged when I see that his duet partner, who royally screwed up, Cher, is safe! I’m happy again when I see Rex and Vince make it.

It’s now the last step toward the Top 32 and Sarah, a vocal coach, preps the singers for their last chance to impress the judges. After that, the public decides and hopefully will make as many good choices as last season. We see Vince preparing for his interpretation of Bryan Adams’ Heaven.

Cher is singing Faith Hill’s There You’ll Be and Bobbi does just the same. We see some familiar faces from back in the hometown auditions, such as Casey Leblanc, Amber Fleury and Matt Kennedy. Rocker Rex, to use an Idol cliché, makes Heaven his own. We also see Erica, Vince and many others doing quite well. I’m extremely surprised when I see little Suzi belting out Whitney’s I Have Nothing. Melissa, Jade and Julie all have trouble remembering the lyrics and these three talented girls could go home because of it. In an extremely funny moment, Stephane, a guy that I remember seeing before, incorporates some lyrics comparing a telephone to someone’s face. Hey, at least he tried.

Jake Can’t Act and Sass Is Whack!

This is the last time you’ll have to scratch your head trying to remember everyone’s names! This calls for a celebration. Only 32 will continue on after this segment and my brain is very thankful for that. The contestants are divided in three rooms as per Idol tradition and everyone is on the verge of having a heart attack.

In room numero uno, we can see Suzi, Dave with the gigantic sideburns/half of the signing couple, Barrett "Dimples", Vince, Cher and the girl with the hat, whomever she is. Jake tries to act like it’s the toughest thing ever and fails miserably. Farley says they’re all safe!

In the second room, I’m not so sure everything will be as wonderful. There’s Bobbi, Chelsea, the young Chad and Erica. These people have been on screen a lot and because Erica and Bobbi are in there, I hope they stay. Unfortunately, Sass wastes no time in telling them that there won’t be roses handed out to them today and they must go back home.

In the third room, there’s Daryl, Alinka, Moffatt Boy, Diego, Rex, Luke and Julie. Zack is the lucky one announcing they’re part of the top 32! The two safe rooms are reunited and jump for joy.

Next week, the voting starts! We’ll be voting for Stephane Aubin, Jenn Beaupré, Mélody Bonicel, Daryl Brunt, Dianelys Hernandez, Matt Humphreys, Ashley Leitao and Cher Maendel.

Suffering from a Bryan, Suzi and Shania overload? I can help. But I can’t sing. silverstar@fansofrealitytv.com

CCL
    This is the last time you’ll have to scratch your head trying to remember everyone’s names! This calls for a celebration. Only 32 will continue on after this segment and my brain is very thankful for that.
    Too true - I don't know how you managed to keep everyone straight!
    Great job, Silverstar.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Although nothing would make me watch Canadian Idol (one reason being that seeing Ben Mulroney causes me to have seizures and there's no one here to call 911), I saw your name as the recapper so I had to read the recap.
    It's good to see that you haven't lost your touch. I wish your recaps were as frequent as Shania Twain videos. They are far more entertaining.
    And I found out that you are Canadian. Yeah Silverstar!!!!

Great recap Silver!!
    Thanks!
    ---------------------
    opps....

Great job Silverstar

This had me laughing my butt off!!

Is Jake vying for a spot on Train 48 with his actings skills?
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Is Jake vying for a spot on Train 48 with his actings skills? Wow. The man can cry, get mad and later on, create drama.
    Silver, mi amiga, you are like the Sharon den Adel of recapping (if you're up for analogies). Brilliant job, as always!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver
    The show starts with some advice from the judges. For some reason, Zack likes to give out his thoughts of wisdom while shouting.

You Can Run, You Can Hide, But You Can't Escape My Lyrics

Sheena, the female half of the lovebirds was apparently not good enough but Dave (the non-Moffatt one) is lucky enough to stay. Eh, at least he’ll have a couple of votes from his girlfriend.

In room numero uno, we can see Suzi, Dave with the gigantic sideburns/half of the signing couple, Barrett "Dimples", Vince, Cher and the girl with the hat, whomever she is. Jake tries to act like it’s the toughest thing ever and fails miserably.
    Great job from start to finish.

You rock.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

+ Reply to Thread