+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canadian Idol 06/07 - No Yelling Is A Good Sign

Canadian Idol 06/07 - No Yelling Is A Good Sign

After Miss Filangi’s excellent recaps last week, it’s my pleasure to continue to give you the recaps for the next CI season! The auditions are nearly over and it’s time for the top 187 to impress the judges. According to Ben, this is Canadian Idol Boot Camp. Can you handle it?

We see some contestants back in their hometown. We already witness the Idol machine pimping some contestants at this early stage. First up is Rex, the rocker from Newfoundland who talks about his hometown. We also visit 17 year-old Amanda, who was the one shaking in her audition, Jenner, whom I like to call Goth Elvis, Jessica Grieve, Jordan and a girl named Julie.

One thing most contestants have in common beyond the ability to sing, are their incomparable luggage-filling skills. Some girls decided to bring their entire wardrobe while some brought more shoes than humanly possible. Whether it was by train, bus or by swimming, the contestant made their way to Toronto and our favourite correspondent Jon Dore was there to greet them. The bus driver, who probably would have tried out for CI if the age limit permitted it, started singing the ever-famous Fame and everyone joined him.

Before the judges give out their encouragement speeches and words of advice, we see some familiar faces, such as the singing couple, one half from Quebec and the other from B.C and Suzi the rocker, or as I like to call her, the female Constantine. The 187 wannabes are there to win and they start off singing individually.

So, You Think You Can Sing?

First up is Bree Carson who sounds pretty good. We’re treated to mini-clips of a lot of people, such as Jessica Grieve who sings Natural Woman. The judges waste no time and divide the rows in two, either the back or front one goes home.

Jordan is back and does his thing, as well as Bobbi Smith, who sings, You Light Up My Life. Alinka tries to pull off Wind Beneath My Wings. After all these impressive performances, everything good must come to an end. A girl named Joanne, wearing white fur boots, missed the first notes and makes Sass do a face like she smelled something rotten. Or, perhaps, she had a mental image of Zack naked. Let’s just say our friend Joanne did not make it through.

We see other good performances, like from a girl named Jade. After her, we are treated to a surprise. Dave Moffatt, from the worldwide top-selling group The Moffatts, is there to try to be the next Canadian Idol. Which one was he again? It doesn’t matter, as he seems to be there to stay. I’ll be there for you, if you need some-bodaay Moving on, my buddy Jenner makes another good impression. Finally, a girl named Tonya sings Alicia Keys’ Karma and gets everyone in the crowd grooving with her. She tried out in season one and I hope she goes far this time around. We then see the young Amanda belting out Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree and I notice that she looks scared each time she’s in front of the audience.

This is it for the first day and some people made it out alive! Among them are the singing couple, Dave Moffatt, Jordan, the Italian Guy, Bobbi and many more.

It’s another day in Toronto but people are still nervous and their vocal cords are put to the test. A guy named Paul sings Crazy Little Thing Called Love and pulls it off quite nicely. Amber sings and Farley joins her, making it a nice moment of this competition.

It’s now time for some more “How in the world did they get Gold Tickets” moments. Spencer, a Carson Daly look-alike, attempts to do worse than Camille Velasco’s Goodbye Yellow Brick Road massacre and, without a doubt, succeeds. Alessandra butchers Kelly Clarkson’s Beautiful Disaster and Michael makes me fall off the couch with laughter with his rendition of Whitney’s I Have Nothing. Can we please stop these people from hurting defenceless Whitney songs?

Suzi is back and it’s her take on Janis Joplin with Me and Bobby McGee. Robin talks about Hot Stuff with a rock edge on it. I must admit it’s not that bad. Cher, who is trying out for a second time, sings Mr. Big’s To Be With You.I really liked her performance. We also see Raven who struggled a little bit and Matt, singing Tempted.
    After all of this, 63 go home, Raven included.

How To Lose Dave Moffatt In 10 Minutes

You know how sometimes first impressions are extremely strong? Well, I have this powerful dislike for a contestant. I don’t think I have paid attention to his singing (yet) but he always wears a brown leather coat and looks like Macaulay Culkin. Jon Dore joins annoying boy and two other guys because they are part of a group with Dave Prima Donna Moffatt. He’s missing and it’s almost midnight. The guy goes on and says he understands what Dave is going through, since he has the rock star ego himself. What in the world did the judges see in him? Dave finally shows up, admitting he had more interesting things to do by himself than finding his group. Very professional behaviour for an international superstar.

The group performances start and a lot of the girls chose the same song. Nobody is bad but they sound the same after a while. Jenner and his group receive Zack’s comments, such as spectacularly awful. The four pretty boys, one of them is named Barrett, actually sound pretty good. Barrett is one of those types who thinks they’re God’s gift to women. He does have nice dimples, I must admit.

Another guy group sings a Boys 2 Men song. One guy catches my attention. Is name is Luke and he looks both like Kalan and James Franco. In his group, there’s also the funny Italian guy and two other guys. Together, I must say that they sound really good.

Dave’s group does really badly and I hope they all go home. A girl named Isabelle saves her performance by including “of course, I forgot the words of this song” to the melody of her part.

I’m Really Pissed Off!

Zack is a judge with many talents. One of them is being somewhat of an inconsiderate fool. A guy named Diego tries to start over his song, Brayden laughs at his incapacity to remember the words and another guy says about two lines before giving up. Zack reminds them that it’s not the way to do it and that the show must go on. Amanda is back with her group and they sing Eternal Flame. They do their song but Zack asks Amanda to do it over again, this time by not looking at her group, but at the audience. She starts over again, with only a slight glance over at her partners. Zack screams at her to stop and she looks terrified. They sounds really good and I hope they’ll forget how he handled the whole thing. Jake is extremely mad at his fellow judge and reminds him they are not there to bully them around. Some of them are just kids, after all. Zack says, “Welcome to the real world.” Is that his new catchphrase?

Ben comes to Amanda’s rescue and comforts her, telling her that she has to believe in herself. Personally, Ben is not my favourite host by far, but with the few episodes I’ve seen this season, he, himself, has started to believe in himself. He’s less annoying and more comfortable around people. Good for him.

After all the performances, the judges go to the war room to deliberate. There are plenty of groups that are still intact. In the Drama Group, only Dave Moffatt and annoying Macaulay escape the disaster. Noooooo! A few other escapees are Jenner, Barrett, Mark, Daryl, the girl half of the couple (I don’t know about the guy’s fate), Bobbi and all of the four of my favourite group, with Luke and the Italian Guy.

That’s it for day two and come back tomorrow for the duets and the reveal of your top 32!

This is going to be a long summer without Jacob. Send me your thoughts at silverstar@fansofrealitytv.com

Great recap! I agree Zack was too harsh on Amanda but I do think he really cares about her doing well & is a fan of her's already. I remember during the auditions on season 1 the guy you call Macauley was one of the people trying out. He even had a featured spot on Canada AM where he and his Mom discussed his disability (I think he had encephalitis). I don't know why he was kept but I think they kept the Moffat due to his name recognition. Anyway I'll be looking forward to reading more recaps from you.

Great recap Silver!! And quick too!

Raven included
    Thanks....I wasn't quite sure if she was gone or not.
    ---------------------
    opps....

After her, we are treated to a surprise. Dave Moffatt, from the worldwide top-selling group The Moffatts, is there to try to be the next Canadian Idol. Which one was he again? It doesn’t matter, as he seems to be there to stay.

It’s now time for some more “How in the world did they get Gold Tickets” moments.

How To Lose Dave Moffatt In 10 Minutes

Jon Dore joins annoying boy and two other guys because they are part of a group with Dave Prima Donna Moffatt. He’s missing and it’s almost midnight. The guy goes on and says he understands what Dave is going through, since he has the rock star ego himself.

Zack says, “Welcome to the real world.” Is that his new catchphrase?
    Awesome stuff Silver. And great job keeping everyone straight. I was spinning last night, so I'm glad we have your recap.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Zack is a judge with many talents. One of them is being somewhat of an inconsiderate fool.
    Awesome recap, Silver! Your descriptions are always so clear, it's like seeing the show all over again.

+ Reply to Thread