+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canadian Idol: The FORT Interview with Jake Gold

Canadian Idol: The FORT Interview with Jake Gold

An established manager of many successful artists, including The Tragically Hip and The Populars, Jake Gold returns to his judging gig on Canadian Idol this week. Jake was kind enough to answer a few of our questions as the third season of Canadian Idol gets underway.

Last season, Canadian Idol really came into its own. Do you get tired of the comparisons to other Idol franchises and particular Idols from other countries?
    We only see the American show. But I am sick of being compared to the German show.

With the memory of Kalan, Theresa and Jacob fresh in our minds, do this year's contestants stand up to last years?
    Yes

As a manager, what qualities in a performer appeal to you? Are they different from what you're looking for as a Canadian Idol judge?
    No, it's all about communication.

Everyone already knows the songs that have been sang to death, literally. Are there any songs or artists you would like to see performed?
    Yes, lots, unfortunately we can't get them cleared for TV.

What is your favourite stage of the Canadian Idol process?
    The live part. The live audience is invigorating.

What is the most common mistake contestants make?
    Singing songs that are beyond their talents. Or, unfamiliar songs.

In the past, we've seen things get heated between the judges. Have there ever been any instances where you've fought hard against a performer advancing, only for them to prove you wrong down the line?
    Yes and no, in the audition stage there are times when I don't get it, but have come around later on. That is why there are 4 of us.

Did you envision either Kalan or Ryan winning when you first saw them during the audition process?
    Actually yes, in both instances.

The Canadian Idol judges have been widely praised over the past two seasons for being well balanced and fair. Is that by design or does it just come naturally?
    We are who we are. We were picked to do the job because of that.

How long do you see the Idol franchises continuing for? Will we see a Canadian Idol 10? If so, will you be part of it?
    I will stay on as long as they will have me. I think the show can go on a long time.

Many thanks to Jake Gold for answering our questions and to CTV for granting us the interview
    Last edited by Miss Filangi; 06-02-2005 at 04:15 PM.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I've always liked all the Canadian Idol judges.
    Jake is one of my favs (although being a Hip fan helps...)
    Thanks for the interview!
    Sounds like we are in for another good season!!
    ---------------------
    opps....

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    In the past, we've seen things get heated between the judges. Have there ever been any instances where you've fought hard against a performer advancing, only for them to prove you wrong down the line?
    Yes and no, in the audition stage there are times when I don't get it, but have come around later on. That is why there are 4 of us.
    The biggest example of this is Jacob. Zack and jake were adamant about him not being good enough and gave a resounding no. At first, Sass was giddy with joy when Jacob was singing but it seemed like Farley had to convince her to vote him through. So he went from a borderline gold ticket to one of the favourites.

Strange, isn't it, how for this interview he gave such short, terse answers, yet on the show, he's ticked off if he doesn't get lots of face time, if the fans cheer too long and cut into his time. Sorry, he's my least favourite of the group, and IMO, gives the most banal and useless critiques to the contestants.

Ah, a man of few words.

Thanks for the interview, Miss F!

+ Reply to Thread