+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Idol 09/09 Ė The Fall of the Most Anticipated Performerô

Canadian Idol 09/09 Ė The Fall of the Most Anticipated Performerô

Last season, there was Billy Klippert.

For those not familiar with last season, Billy was a rocker. Well, kind of, it turns out that he could sing almost anything. Billy had a rough ride to the Top 32 and almost didnít make it. People either loved or hated him and even the judges were often split. Billy had a band and wouldnít conform to what other people wanted and fought hard for the opportunity to sing Plush, which he eventually sang and it ended up being one of his best performances. Billy then sang a little song called Levon which made everyone sit up and take notice of him. He was not just a Ďrockerí or someone that you could easily pigeonhole.

Billy ended up third.

This year, when he made his guest appearance, he told the contestants that third place wasnít a bad thing. In my neighbourhood, we call that foreshadowing.

This Is A Recap, Not An Editorial
    Weíre down to 3 more episodes before learning who will become the next Canadian Idol. Lately Iíve realize just how much Ben has really grown in his role of host. The powers that be must have noticed as well, because Benís given the big boy role of opening the show, introducing the judges and giving a synopsis of the night before without the help of any performances or Jon Dore. As far as a review of the night before, Jacob was great, Theresa was great, Kalan was great. Millions of Canadians voted and tonight one will be gone. A robot could do this job, no wonder Ben does it so well.

After the break, the fourth place finalist from last season, Audrey de Montigny has returned for a guest performance. I forgot how obnoxious Ben can be with his French pronunciation, you would think he was the only person in the country to speak both languages well. She sings her first English language single, a ballad, I Keep Falling. Afterwards, Ben fawns over her and Audrey dispenses her advice to the remaining contestants, ĎBe Yourselfí.

Sweet Home Western Canada
    Finally, the remaining three contestants are assembled centre stage to recount their visits home. Jacob returned to Vancouver, with microphone in hand, and headed off to do the media circuit. After attending a rally in Vancouver he went back home to Abbotsford to greet the thousands of people there. So help me, I was looking for a Shane Wiebe appearance. I hear he did pretty well in that Canadian Idol competition too.

Kalan headed home to Medicine Hat and was happy to be back in Alberta. After doing the media tour there, he went to the Cultural Centre where he spent so much of his life and then on to a rally in his honour. As Kalan muses that heís just a ranch kid who likes to sing, weíre treated to clips of girls talking about his hair, his eyes and his dancing, but no singing. Kalan autographs some pictures for his adoring fans and I canít help but feel bad for him as he seems a little embarrassed by it all. I do respect him, at least heís in it for the right reasons.

Theresaís trip home to Saskatoon is the last one to be documented and I realize how fond Iíve grown of her. As she narrates from a wheat field, (please shoot the director for that one) she waxes poetic about how much family and home means to her. Like the guys, Theresa does the media circuit before going to a rally and paying a special trip to her elementary school where she breaks down crying, touched by all the outpouring of emotion. It really was quite touching and even though Jacob gets the lionís share of attention for his personality, Theresa certainly has personality of her own.

Why Does Someone Have To Go?
    Ben had previously promised a powerful performance, and while these promises are usually more than a bit overblown, I figure itís gotta be good if weíre being forced to wait until the show is almost half over for them to perform. They sing In Your Eyes and I almost squeal in delight. Back when I was a competitive skater, we used to use the song to warm up because there are a lot of phrases that are easy to jump to and, nevermind, I was excited since itís a favourite of mine. Theresa starts the song and her voice compliments the song perfectly. She joins Jacob and holds his song as he takes over. Jacobís voice also compliments the song, surprisingly, and I realize how much I do like his voice. This guy is so much more than theatrics. Kalan takes over his part and throughout the song all they alternately exchange meaningful glances and Theresa runs from one to the other holding their hands, ensuring no one feels left out. It should be noted that while they sang, In Your Eyes I noticed that each of them have abnormally nice eyes. It also should be noted that that big screen behind them, recapping each journey to this point, is responsible for choking me up and making me shed a few tears as they sing this song. Itís a great moment and Iím glad I taped it. There is not a weak link in this trio and Iím glad that we managed to get it right.

One More Time For the Road
    Ben says that itís time to discover the results. Of course, heís lying because itís not yet 8:55 and if the results were actually revealed before that point it would in fact, be miraculous. Rather than name the bottom two, which would essentially reveal the front runner in the competition, all three are given the chance to perform.

Theresa starts with Ready For Love, one of the songs she sang the night before. Perhaps Iím the one PMSing as I again find myself in tears. Theresa is undoubtedly an amazing singer and I enjoy it even more the second time around.

Kalan follows with Nature Boy and does his best to deliver with as much emotion as he did the night before. Itís also rather sweet to see Farley singing along with Kalan.

Last but not least is Jacob, who starts off in standing in the stool in order to create more force when he inevitably jumps off of it. He sings I Want You To Want Me and like the two before, puts even more life into it than the previous night. Near the end of the song, he heads down to sing a line to each of the judges much to their chagrin, delight and embarrassment. He mockingly takes a sip from Sassí cup. Good thing heís of age.

Seriously, why does one of them have to go? Canít we just keep them all until the final episode?

Threeís A Crowd
    Itís finally time for the results.

As the three are once again assembled centre stage, Ben takes his sweet time revealing the eliminated contestant: Jacob Hoggard. Ben is genuinely broken up, Theresa, who could have been relieved that her name wasnít called, is genuinely saddened, refuses to look at the camera until she composes herself. Tears are flowing all around.

Jake tells Jacob there are four people on the panel who would be willing to help him in anyway, gives a shout out to Jacobís band Hedley and says to call him when heís ready to record. Farley echoes Jakeís praise, but adds to call him first. Sass praises him for being unique and a consummate performer. Zack, the most emotional of all of them, once again reiterates that winning the competition is not a bad thing, he admires Jacob for going out on a strong note and tells him he loves him.

Jacob closes the show with I Donít Wanna Miss A Thing as his proud and adoring girlfriend looks on.

Love him or hate him, Jacob made this Idol installment very unique and his vocal skills were often ignored or dismissed.

It wonít be the same without him. Fortunately the final two are equally deserving.

Wanna tell me how great I am? Wanna criticize me some more? missfilangi@fansofrealitytv.co m
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I forgot how obnoxious Ben can be with his French pronunciation, you would think he was the only person in the country to speak both languages well.

There is not a weak link in this trio and Iím glad that we managed to get it right.

He mockingly takes a sip from Sassí cup. Good thing heís of age.
    Another excellent recap MissF.

This was your best recap, full of emotion. You really want to win the best re-capper prize!

I agree fully with oxide. This was your best recap, full of emotion.

Thank you

Great recap I am glad I have taped all Jacob"s performances and Kalan's too. They sure made the show great
    Last edited by cathy92; 09-11-2004 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    So help me, I was looking for a Shane Wiebe appearance. I hear he did pretty well in that Canadian Idol competition too.

Itís a great moment and Iím glad I taped it. There is not a weak link in this trio and Iím glad that we managed to get it right.

Seriously, why does one of them have to go? Canít we just keep them all until the final episode?

It wonít be the same without him. Fortunately the final two are equally deserving.
    Great recap Miss F. Just as a by the by, there had been a rally scheduled for Shane in B.C. too, but since he lost the night before, he had to stay in Toronto for media appearances that weekend. They had his rally a couple of weeks later.

FORT Fanatic
    Bravo MissF!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    Love him or hate him, Jacob made this Idol installment very unique and his vocal skills were often ignored or dismissed. It wonít be the same without him. Fortunately the final two are equally deserving.
    I couldn't agree more... great recap, Miss F.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    When I heard Jacob went , Billy was the first person I thought of. I'm glad you were brave enough to watch Miss F. Great recap.

A robot could do this job, no wonder Ben does it so well.
    Oh yeah.

FORT Fogey
    Very nice recap.

A small correction: Jacob brought along a megaphone, not a microphone on his hometown trip.

Also, I'd cut Ben some slack regarding the "annoying" French accent. Since he grew up speaking French from childhood, there's really no way for him to speak it without an accent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast