+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canadian Idol 09/08 - You Want Me To Sing WHAT?

Canadian Idol 09/08 - You Want Me To Sing WHAT?

Yes, it's true. After a brief hiatus where real life got in the way, your friendly neighbourhood recapper has returned for the final two weeks of the season. It's down to Jacob, Theresa and Kalan who have been arguably the best competitors have found their way into the top three. Will the best one win? Do Theresa and Jacob's fans have a chance to outmaneuver Kalan's rabid fangirl base? Who knows, but we're about to find out. Well, soon anyhow, we have one more performance until the top two are decided. Of course, by this stage most fans have their favourites and they could come out and recite the Iliad and fans would still vote for them. However, it is customary that the Idols at least get a chance to sing and go through the motions.

Get The Party Started, Sort Of
    Ben is really psyched about these last two weeks. I can tell because he nearly tripped as he ran out to centre stage. I mean, the guy is almost showing some personality!

Tonight's theme is Judge's Choice. Apparently the judges didn't agree on all the song choices, but were able to come to a decision. Jake, Farley and Sass all discuss testing the contestants and trying to flesh out some of their strengths. Or at least, I gather that's what they were rambling on about, the audience is particularly loud tonight, perhaps there was an open bar. Zack, as per usual, ignores Ben's question but launches a monologue about the value of being the Canadian Idol and how the final three should all want to win. Apparently Zack surfs the net and has heard the rumblings that Jacob and Theresa possibly would prefer not to take the title. Or, they could be saving face since chances are slim that they can overtake Kalan. Just my opinion, as always, so don't get your trousers in a twist, or if you simply need to, email me at missfilangi@fansofrealitytv.co m

If You Don't Know Him By Now, He's the Unpredictable One
    The judges have selected If You Don't Know Me By Now for Jacob. Jacob is dressed in a ridiculously long jacket and sings very understated. No theatrics, just Jacob using the song to showcase his voice.

Jake congratulates the judges on a great song selection. He also adds that if people don't vote for Jacob, they're crazy. Farley is also impressed and thinks he did a great job. Sass applauds him on his charisma and then says he's a big juicy ham with a side of cheese. And I think she meant it as a compliment. Zack then calls Jacob out on what he perceives as someone that doesn't really want to win and says his performance was just okay. Jacob, who obviously respects Zack's opinion, looks a bit rattled. As Jacob turns to walk away, Jake calls after him and asks him if he want to win. Jacob perhaps didn't catch the questions and turns to join Ben at the side.

I Hope They Fought Over THIS Song
    Theresa follows with What The World Needs Now. I'm sorry, but this is not what I would pick. The judges claim this would be a great song to challenge Theresa. I'm not seeing how this song would go outside her safety zone, but then again, I'm not a professional. Theresa does a good job and does the most that she can do with a horrible cheesy song. Perhaps that was the challenge they had in mind.

Farley is at a loss for words and Sass congratulates her on a job well done. Zack, still cranky, says he doesn't feel that she's the one to win this competition. Jake, doing his best to cushion Zack's blow says they should ship her to the Middle East to solve the problems over there. That's quite an expectation Jake, and with all due respect to Theresa, I'm sure her sing that song would be used more for torture purposes than for problem solving.

Looking For A Breakthrough
    The judges have selected I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For for Kalan. Again, the judges have selected a song to challenge Kalan and give him the opportunity to really show what he can do and give them, namely Zack, the breakthrough performance that they know he's capable of.

Kalan, although not as animated as Joshua was earlier this season, certainly brings more emotion and movement to the song than usual. However, he doesn't go so far as to attempt any choreographed moves, that always spells bad news for Kalan. Kalan hits the glory notes as expected and does what he's best at, even bringing his performance to a new level.

A frightened Kalan turns to the judges for his assessment, but he needn't have been so worried. Sass says Kalan reminds her of a volcanic eruption and I'm too grossed out to even go further. Let's hope the symbolism wasn't intentional. Zack hated the backtrack, but thought Kalan did an awesome job, obviously jolted from his previous bad mood. Jake says he was worried there might not be any emotion in his performance, but thankfully, he was wrong and thinks it was his best performance to date. Farley says with that performance, Kalan just took it. To be fair, Farley had also called Kalan winning the competition before Kalan even reached the top ten. If I were Farley I'd mention that ever episode, alas, Farley is a better person than I.

Is It Filler? It Is A Shameless Plug? You Decide!
    Since there are only 6 performances, itís time again to drag out another LíOreal moment. Rather than bore us with yet another segment on hair care or hair styling or hair colouring, theyíve decided to follow the Idols on a photo shoot. Good choice. Theresa is glammed up, Jacob is in a suit and Kalan, well Kalan is pretty much dressed like heís always dressed. Itís a glamourous life they lead, these Canadian Idols of yours.

What He Really Wants is AttentionÖ
    The contestants are back with their second round of performances and Jacob once again leads it off. The judges have selected I Want You To Want Me. The reasons are as expected, they think itís a perfect song for him and it can really bring out the best in Jacob as a performer.

Jacob is dressed normal, for him anyway, which means no bowties, props or outrageous costumes. He drags the mic stand to centre stage and sings the song way better than Iíve ever heard Cheap Trick sing it. Of course, I donít particularly like Cheap Trick, so it wasnít exactly a stretch.

Zack, his contempt seemingly subsiding, says Jacob killed it and did a great job. Jake once again congratulates the judges for an excellent song selection, which I take it to mean he thought Jacob did a good job with it. Farley says even with his limited amount of performing experience, heís ready to go and entertain the world. Sass adds to the lovefest and then calls him her favourite Mexican Jumping Bean. And no, I have no idea what that means.

Yeah, But My Dad Introduced The GST!
    The stars are out in full force tonight to cheer on the final three contestants. Among the Canadian stars are figure skaters Kurt Browning, Brian Orser and fellow son of a former prime minister, Alexandre Trudeau. During another round of filler, Ben goes out to greet some special guests; his mother Mila and his father, former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney. Jon Dore appears and heís supposedly miffed because Ben knew HIS parents were coming and Ben just wanted to one-up him. They play a little Ďmy parents are better than your parentsí before they all just hug and make up. Maybe I was incredibly tired or something, but I found it kind of fun. A half decent Jon Dore sketch AND a half decent LíOreal moment? Perhaps I am quite tired.

Does Zack Have PMS?
    For Theresaís second song, the judges have selected Ready For Love. Apparently this is a favourite song of all of theirs, so yeah, thereís not too much pressure on Theresa to perform well.

Theresa takes her spot on the serious stool on centre stage and begins singing the song. Iím not familiar with the song, but Theresa sings it very understated and the effect is really quite powerful.

Jake tells her that no one can captivate the audience quite like she can. Farley thinks she excels when she sings in the first person and refers to Good Mother and Hello as other standout performances. Sass says Theresa has a limited range, but in this case, the heart is more important and thinks she did a fantastic job. Zack says heís often asked why heís part of this silly little show and next time heís asked, heíll say ĎTheresa Sokyrkaí. Zack has a tear in his eye reminiscent of Jenny Gear. Heís very emotional tonight with his angry outbursts and sudden tears. Think he has a stack of chocolate bars hidden under the desk?

Golden Boy, Meet Nature Boy
    For his final performance of the night, the judges have selected Nature Boy. The judges all want to bring out the best in Kalan and give him something that he can put some emotion behind. I havenít the foggiest clue about this song as Iím quite certain Iíve never heard it before.

As per usual, as Kalan take to the stage, there are deafening screams. They continue as Kalan begins the song. Itís a slower, more subdued song, but Kalan manages to do it justice and even bring some emotion, honest to goodness real emotion to the song.

Farley congratulates him and says heís proud of him. Sass says heís continually taking medicine out of his hat, and makes everyone feel better. I donít know whatís with her tonight, but I hope for next season Sass finds some writers because she obviously needs some help with these sad, pathetic lines. Zack says heís shocked that Kalan was able to dig so deep and it was the best thing heís ever done. Zack is again almost brought to tears.

So thatís it for the final three and itís on the next episode, find out who will make it to the top two. Iíd bet good money that someone whose name begins with a ĎKí will likely have one of those spots.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Theresa does a good job and does the most that she can do with a horrible cheesy song. Perhaps that was the challenge they had in mind.

Sass says Kalan reminds her of a volcanic eruption and I'm too grossed out to even go further.

Excellent job MissF.
    Good to have you back

Miss F great job. The volcanic eruption thing was my favourite quote too.

And btw, I kinda thought the Dore/Mulroney parents thing was funny too (mind you, I was also tired, having come home from work and watched CI on tape last night). Maybe I should rewind it and watch the L'oreal spot I fast-forwarded through.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    Zack says heís often asked why heís part of this silly little show and next time heís asked, heíll say ĎTheresa Sokyrkaí. Zack has a tear in his eye reminiscent of Jenny Gear. Heís very emotional tonight with his angry outbursts and sudden tears. Think he has a stack of chocolate bars hidden under the desk?
    I completely noticed that, and it seemed to carry on (dare I say- even worse) the following night. Tsk tsk.
    And Sass was certainly being extra revolting as well. Something in the water, perhaps?

Heís very emotional tonight with his angry outbursts and sudden tears.
    Someone who talked to one of the contestants said Zack is their favorite judge - that he's actually a big softie, and loves kids and puppies.

And that yes, Sass is soused often. Which is too bad because earlier in the year, her comments were often quite cogent and helpful, not stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogopogo
    earlier in the year, her comments were often quite cogent and helpful, not stupid.
    It is too true, and endlessly depressing.
    If you watched the shows from the beginning of this season to the end in order, you could see her slowly falling apart.

It's actually quite sad, seeing her like that. At first it was amusing, but now I actually worry for her sanity (or lack thereof?).

+ Reply to Thread