+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I promise I will no longer watch Canadian Idol

FORT Newbie

I promise I will no longer watch Canadian Idol

This is a letter I am writing to Canadian Idol and am sending to the editor and comment pages of The Vancouver Sun and The Toronto Globe & Mail and I hope they will print it:

I promise I will no longer watch Canadian Idol!
    The reason for that is that August 18, there was a (almost half page) article the WestCoast News page
    until the sub-title "Boss gave him a choice: Sing or Sell Perogies" which referred to Shane and his ex employer, Lorisa Janzen, who pushed him into choosing singing over his job. The article says "that out of loyalty" she votes for him:
    "My guess is I get 5 votes in per minute, and I sit for 2 hours". So you figure it out. Its a long time to sit on your butt in front of the phone, but he's worth it.

Elena Juatoc's former drama teacher, Eve Harrison says she become a self confessed Elena groupie, ands so have many of her friends. After the show Harrison voted for Elena 623 times saying: "It's possible to redial instantly, and every individual vote counts. So I challenge people to get even higher."

My point is: This is crazy. This is cheating! This is not a Talent Contest!

I believe you should never complain,or criticize,without offering some possible solution,
    and I think I have it!. Charge for the voting calls. Make it a 1-900 (or whatever) number
    and make it cost $1.00 per call. Offer the proceeds of these calls to boy's & girl's club charities, or music scholarships
    for Jr. & Senior High School students.

This idea might result in some people unable to call, but it might prevent Canadian Idol contestants winning a chance
    to continue, because each their fans make 623 calls, NOT because of their talent.

I thought the of Canadian Idol was for each viewer to cast one vote for the idol of their choice. I am so naive.
    I am Canadian!

Addena Sumter-Freitag
    Vancouver, B.C.

I thought the of Canadian Idol was for each viewer to cast one vote for the idol of their choice.
    If you thought that, then you haven't paid attention to the rules, and that's no one's fault but your own.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    DISCLAIMER
    **I haven't watched the Canadian Idol, nor can I..but I do read the threads without comment.**

If the voting was a 900 number and for every call there was a nominal fee, don't you think it would still be unfair?
    [hypothetically] What if one aspiring singer had more opportunities for total number of votes because (s)he has a family with the financial ability to call more?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

The 900 number is a horrible idea because it essentially means someone would be either buying or be accused of buying the title.

And Maveno, between your appearance in this thread and your Trailer Park Boys affection, I'm starting to think you deserve an honourary Canadian citizenship.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by addena
    I thought the of Canadian Idol was for each viewer to cast one vote for the idol of their choice.
    But even if it was limited to one vote, it still wouldn't guarantee that the most talented person would win. All the teenage girls will vote for the guy they think is cutest, regardless whether or not he can actually sing. If you were a personal friend of one of the finalists, would you cast an unbiased vote for the most talented? No, you would want your friend to win.

Anytime the general public is allowed to vote, it becomes a popularity contest, not a talent contest, regardless of the number of times you can vote. The network does this in order to gain viewers, and therefore ratings. It's about money, not talent.

Fortunately however, through the use of knowledgeable judges, the people with absolutely no talent are weeded out.

Miss F: if you need a "second" for Maveno's Canadian citizenship, you have my vote.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

Oh Canada

I'd gladly take it Miss Filangi. I grew up in Michigan with a HUGGGEeee Canadian/French influence. Spent a lot of time in Mackinac, Iron Mountain, Marquette and Sault St. Marie. It was my first "out of the country" experience going into the Keweenaw County of da upee, aye?
    Oh, and when living in Detroit..the Windsor Tunnel.

Ahh.. great memories, lemme tell ya.
    SCTV & Kids in the Hall..just to mention a couple of faves
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TMI. Sorry everyone for the threadjack.

I don't think the voting process should change..a 900 number wouldn't be good IMO.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fogey
    And, in almost every case in these Idol shows a really talented person won. Yes, sometimes it seems as though the wrong people go first... but in the end we get winners like Kelly, and Ruben(Clay) and Fantasia.

I don't really like the voting system either, but it seems to be the best way. I've thought about them limiting calls or charging a fee per call, but I don't think those would work well either. If someone is really talented, they'll catch the eye of someone even if they don't win. If you have it, you have it. If you don't, you don't. There's never going to be the perfect voting system.

I think making people pay to vote would be even worse than the system we have now.

The whole discussion has been carried out for every series of AI and last season of CI I believe.
    I don't think there has been any major shocker this season.
    The people that most of us thought would last the longest are still in the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    The whole discussion has been carried out for every series of AI and last season of CI I believe.
    I don't think there has been any major shocker this season.
    The people that most of us thought would last the longest are still in the competition.
    Agree, Fluff. The discussion has gone on ad nauseum thru all the shows. It does get frustrating at times when regional voting becomes so prevalent (Gary F Beals anyone? Jasmine Trias?) but you're right, no major shockers most of the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast