+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I promise I will no longer watch Canadian Idol

eny
    FORT Fogey
    This tired old argument? Agaian? Heard it all . Said the same thing from AI1 . If they didn't listen then , not likely they'll change so many franchises in.
    Too much of that teenybopper demographic cash at stake.

Kalen *screams*

Quote Originally Posted by addena
    This is not a Talent Contest!
    You're right about that.

In every reality show there ever was and that there will ever be, it's not only about talent. Let me explain; you, me, even Bob that works over at CTV, we have no control over what people do with their precious time. They want to spend 2 hours voting, let them do it, I say. It's an experience for some, let them have their fun.

As far as your idea to charge for the votes...
    There's a similar talent show in Québec called "Star Académie" where they charge 1 dollar for each vote. At the end of the show, the host always mentions that "part of the money from the votes will go to "fill in the blank" charity." The rest of that goes straight into the pockets of the owner of the TV station.
    Since he's already filthy rich and obviously doesn't need the huge amount of money per week the show gets from the votes, I hate the idea. It's just a scam to make the viewing public vote even more. I would actually love to know the amount he actually gives out to charity.

Thanks for posting your idea, though.

Well here's a question then...
    For those people that think limiting it to one vote per person is such a bad idea, how would you react if the next federal election was held without any law or penalty to prevent people from voting as many times as they wanted?

Answer: you'd say it's unfair, absurd and a silly way to reach a democratic decision.

Hmmm...

Haha, yes, I might be more concerned if the ruling of my country was at stake, but seeing as this is a singing competition where someone who is that exceptional will succeed anyways, I say let the people have their fun. And anyways, I am sure that all of the contestants have people who sit at the phone and vote for them for 2 hours straight, so it's not really that big of a deal. It all evens out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by misterhyper
    Well here's a question then...
    For those people that think limiting it to one vote per person is such a bad idea, how would you react if the next federal election was held without any law or penalty to prevent people from voting as many times as they wanted?

Answer: you'd say it's unfair, absurd and a silly way to reach a democratic decision.

Hmmm...
    Is anyone saying it would be wrong to limit the vote to one per person?
    I think many people would like to see that change in the voting made, even though it still wouldn't definitely mean the "most talented" person would win.
    Perception of talent is subjective anyway, plus not everyone bases their vote on who they think is the better singer anyway.

There would be nothing to stop people voting "623" times as long as they didn't mind paying $623 as far as I can see from the original post in the thread.
    The $1 charge has been proposed as a deterent to multiple voting, there was no definite comment about using technology to actually physically limit the votes.
    If they did that there would be no reason to levy a fee at all.'

Maybe they should change it to voting off the person that you want to go home instead of voting for your favorite...Any how we'll be on the phone voting for Jacob because he deserves to be there more than Jason!!!

Now THERE'S an idea. I've wished for that myself on more than one occasion.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple
    I don't really like the voting system either, but it seems to be the best way.
    Apparently for Last Comic Standing they were able to limit the number of call-in votes to a maximum of five.

If Canadian Idol limited the voting to five per phone number, they would only be able to announce that "600 people voted and these are the results ..." instead of saying "2 million votes were cast for tonight's finalists ..." although it's still probably 600 voters who made the 2 million votes. But that would mean that CTV would have to PAY advertisers to sponsor the show.

One thing that people seem to forget is that as far as the tv station is concerned, it's ALL ABOUT RATINGS!!! And they (the producers, etc.) want the person to win that is going to sell the most cds, tickets to concerts, etc. It's all about the all mighty dollar. Look at Brittney Spears! Can she sing? No, but she sure can sell.
    Darn Kangaroos!! I am le tired.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmac
    Maybe they should change it to voting off the person that you want to go home instead of voting for your favorite...Any how we'll be on the phone voting for Jacob because he deserves to be there more than Jason!!!
    This one's been discussed already too, so I'll give you the conclusion.
    This method would only cause the weaker singers' fans to gang up and vote out the best singer so that their singer could continue. Kalan would be gone first, then Theresa, Jacob, etc. Or if they voted regionally, it could be a nightmare as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast