+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canadian Idol CNE performance

Maz

Canadian Idol CNE performance

The 5 remaining contestants had a brief show at the CNE tonight so I hauled myself out there with 8,000 other crazy fans. For those of you who missed it, here's a little recap:

Jon Dore hosted the free event and unfortunately, he had the same old lame, sad jokes. Each contestant sang a song, answered an audience question read by Jon, then sang a second song. The questions were unmemorable but here's the songlist for each peformer:

First out was Jacob with Brickhouse. He was much more animated than when he performed the song on CI2. Dancing, running around, hopping...very cool. His second song was Everything.

Jason sang Cuts Like a Knife, then Proud Mary. He did a decent job. Theresa was next and sang her best songs of the Top 10: Good Mother and Song for a Winter's Day.

Jon kept commenting on how hot Shane looked tonight - I don't know about that :rolleyes but he did some pretty hot songs. He sang Angel (the Lionel Ritchie song) and surprise, surprise, I believe in a thing called love.

Last was Kalan....I can still hear all the screams ringing in my ears! haha For the 3rd time in his Cdn Idol history, Kalan performed Paint It Black. Did an amazing job like always. He then rocked it harder with Born to Be Wild.

All the idols came out and did a rendition of their best (imo) group performance - from the rock & roll night. It was pretty awesome! All in all the show was really good but much too short (less than an hour). Hope they do a Canadian Idol 2 tour now that I've had a little preview!

Thanks for your report Maz. Have been axiously awaiting some news. Who did you think put on the best performance (don't imagine it was Theresa's milieu doing more ballad-y songs in an outdoor concert). Who got the loudest screams or was it hard to tell? Sounds like Jacob has his energy back, which is good for him. He's a real performer isn't he. Did Kalan still seem really shy or did he get some energy from the audience. And Shane seems to be the dark horse in all this and gaining confidence by the minute. Enjoyed your report, but tell us even more

Thanks so much for reporting back to us,Maz.
    Sounds like you had a good time.

I have heard rumours of a CI2 tour, so hopefully it'll come to pass.

Maz
    Well, Ogo, it's difficult for me to be objective but I'll try! I thought Jacob did an awesome job because he was so energetic and really got the crowd into Brick House. His performance was so much fun. Shane did a great job vocally but I didn't see him really holding the attention of the audience (well, maybe during "..a thing called love" just because no one could escape that shrieking ) . Jason was ok...seemed a little like Diana from AI3 with his "C'mon everyone"s and "Sing along!". During Proud Mary, he had the crowd sing alternate lines. He's definitely a showman.

Theresa sang well and did a lot of her humble "thank you's" but I actually did find her captivating during her Gordon Lightfoot song. She seemed very comfortable on stage. Kalan definitely, without a doubt, received the most applause and screams. He came on stage seemingly shy but he had to know he had the love of the audience. The show was about 10mins late and periodically during the wait time, the girls in front were chanting "We want Kalan, we want Kalan". There was a grandma standing next to me and the chant was so infectious, she joined in. It was so cute.

Anyway, Kalan was fantastic but it was funny. He would do his rockin' performance, shout out a big "thank yooooooooooooou!" at the end, but then would revert back to his quiet, shy demeanour during the question period. I guess singing brings out his confidence - he really seems to love it.

So hope this tour pans out!!

I'm so excited that someone else was there as well! I was there too, third row center. It was fantastic, though I agree, much too short.

Lol, the 'We want Kalan' chants were always very quickly converted to "We want Jacob" and vice versa. It seems both groups of fans are quite the rivals, and I saw a few fights break out.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkette
    I'm so excited that someone else was there as well! I was there too, third row center. It was fantastic, though I agree, much too short.

Lol, the 'We want Kalan' chants were always very quickly converted to "We want Jacob" and vice versa. It seems both groups of fans are quite the rivals, and I saw a few fights break out.

You saw fights break out??!!?? Real fights with fists??!!?? OMG that's awful.

LOL that's hilarious - and very Un-Canadian
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Thanks for the report, Maz!

What, you mean Shane didn't captivate the audience? I thought the whole rest of Canada loves him and finds him vastly superior to every other contestant!

Glad to hear you had fun.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

You know, I was just thinking, this must be the most incredible, unbelievable experience for these kids. But for Jason, they are all very young and barely out of school. A few months ago, they probably tried out for Canadian Idol hoping to just do well and maybe make it to the rounds in Toronto, and now here they are, living in a $5million mansion, on the top rated TV show every week, meeting music legends, being interviewed by the media, being fawned over by thousands and thousands of fans and having their every word and move analysed, and then being onstage in front of 8000 screaming fans - it must be very surreal for them, exciting, but almost unimagineable for them and their families. I hope they are all enjoying every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogopogo
    You saw fights break out??!!?? Real fights with fists??!!?? OMG that's awful.
    Haha no, I guess I should have elaborated on that one
    It came pretty close to it a couple times, but it was mostly the hardcore fans, and they were arguing and getting in each other's faces.

There was this group of three really obnoxious Jacob fans who, before the concert when another girl was playing an idol mix cd, would cover their ears and scream loudly and make loud, uncalled for objections to all of the other idols. It was mostly them getting in arguments.

+ Reply to Thread