+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canadian Idol 08/05 Ė Believe It Or Not, Itís Just Josh

Canadian Idol 08/05 Ė Believe It Or Not, Itís Just Josh

Canadian Idol 08/05 Ė Believe It Or Not, Itís Just Josh

This week, the 8 remaining Idols rocked the party. Then, Canada rocked the vote, voting for the finalists that rocked our world the most. So after they rocked the house and we rocked the vote, hopefully, we all were able to rock ourselves to sleep. All this rocking is exhausting.

Rock week closes off with the elimination of yet another hopeful, paring down the field from 8 to 7. The show begins with the usual group performance. The 8 perform Old Time Rock & Roll, We Will Rock You and I Love Rock & Roll. Personally, these are my favourite moments of the week and as a group, they do a great job. However, I hope that neither of the two girls get eliminated any time soon as the guy/girl themed banter in these performances will get creepy if just one girl is left. This performance also highlighted Kalanís acting debut as 'The boy, about 17, standing there by the record machine'.

Paging Mikey Bustos
    As always, we must check in Jon Dore. Jon has borrowed Mark Wahlbergís wig from the movie Rockstar so he looks like a bigger idiot than usual. Jon tells Ben that because rock & roll has itís own language, heís going to speak to him through his guitar. Itís both sad and pathetic. They cue a tape of Jon crashing the Idol mansion. For some unknown reason, they flash Jonís name on the screen in case we wouldnít recognize him. Wig or no wig, heís still the same jackass weíd spot anywhere. As Jon attempts to bring some rock and roll to the finalists, I wonder why the producers havenít thought to bring back some of last years contestants. Whereís Billy Klippert? Jenny Gear? Even Gary Beals canít be that busy. What about Ryan? Or are we just leaving that until the final episode? Come on. I understand the need for some filler, but Iíd rather see some actual performances than Jonís Jerry Lewis impressions week after week.

Going Through The Motions
    After several delays, itís time to visit the anxious Idols on the couch. As Ben runs through their performances the night before, most of them look nauseous. The first member of the bottom three is Elena, followed shortly by Josh. It comes down to Shane, Jacob and Theresa and Shane is the lucky contestant to round out the bottom feeders.

The judges are neither surprised nor unhappy with the results. Both Sass and Jake mention that theyíd like Elena to survive and encourage whoever makes it to the next week to attempt to show more of themselves in future weeks. The judgesí wish is granted and Ben sends Elena back to the couch. Finally, a guy is actually going to be sent packing.

Both Shane and Josh look nervous, with Shaneís wife shooting daggers in the audience. Ben says a few kind words and reveals that Canada has decided to send Josh home. Josh, wearing his heart on his sleeve, looks heartbroken as they roll his tribute clip. Top 10 is pretty good for a guy who just auditioned because he drove a friend. In his final words, Josh thanks his friends at home and on the couch, explaining that whoever wins the competition will be an amazing representative, obviously touched by the friendships heís made. As he sings Iris to close the show, he changes a few of the words to reflect his current situation as the rest of the Idols come out to say goodbye. I guess Canada only has room for one golden haired boy, and Josh was the weakest link. Central Canadaís lost itís last representative. Who says there isnít life beyond Ontario and QuebecÖ

Next Week! Dancing on the ceiling with Lionel Ritchie!
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Maz
    Great recap!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I understand the need for some filler, but Iíd rather see some actual performances than Jonís Jerry Lewis impressions week after week.
    It has become increasingly embarrassing to have to endure Jon's very unfunny antics. Hopefully with Billy's new album out, he'll be on the show soon to infuse it with some real rock!

Sad to see Josh go ...I knew he wouldn't win but imo it seems a little early in the competition for him to leave. I was very surprised at the emotional reaction from the other contestants - most of them shed some tears at his departure. Just shows what a great guy he must be (or perhaps it was really tears of relief that they weren't being sent home!).

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Ms. Filangi, you rock!!!

Sorry, I saw you standing on the "Edge of Reason" and I couldn't resist seeing whether one more 'rock' would cause you to jump.

Paging Mikey Bustos
    That's the asian kid from last year, right? If so, I just saw his original audition for the first time, and man did he kill it! You guys had a lot of really strong people audition last year and this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina

That's the asian kid from last year, right? If so, I just saw his original audition for the first time, and man did he kill it! You guys had a lot of really strong people audition last year and this year.
    Yes, that was Mikey Bustos. He had some fans, but honestly, his audition was his best performance and he just got schmaltzier from then on (IMO of course).
    But this year's CI top 10 definitely has more talent than last years CI top 10.

(P.S. I'd heard some place in the U.S. near the border were able to pick up Canadian idol over the airwaves; sounds like your part of Michigan is one of those places. If you managed to see any of the early episodes of this season's Canadian Idol, then you also know that there were lots and lots of excrutiatingly BAD singers auditioning too!)
    Last edited by misterhyper; 08-09-2004 at 01:31 AM.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Yeah, but I tend to gloss over the bad ones. I don't find them entertaining in a good or bad way.

+ Reply to Thread