+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canadian Idol 07/01 – Oh Western Canada!

Canadian Idol 07/01 – Oh Western Canada!

Canadian Idol 07/01 – Oh Western Canada!

It’s Canada Day and what better way to spend the day than finding out who advances to the Top 10 from Group Three? Well, I personally could think of better ways, but Ben says it’s the best, so I’ll just take his word for it. Of course, during his childhood, people from across the country would come to his dad’s place of work to party on Canada Day, so maybe he does think this is better.

Schtick and Attitude
    Ben introduces the judges one by one and Sass has gotten much uglier. Actually, Sass is in Halifax for Canada Day, so Jon has decided to go drag queen in her place. He makes the kind of woman you’d expect; ugly. Zack is thoroughly annoyed and for the second straight night doesn’t formally acknowledge Ben, he just drops his head in his hands.

The contestants are assembled on the couch wearing homemade buttons that state who they voted for within the group. It’s a very sweet gesture, even though it’s technically ineffective as vote splitting. Somehow, I don’t think that was the point. Jon flies in wearing the Canadian flag as a cape to report on the Group Three Field Trip™. This week, the group saw Hairspray, starring American Idol 2 reject Vanessa Olivarez. They get a tour of the wig room and then have a mini Q&A session with Vanessa. Fortunately, none of the contestants asked Vanessa what Clay is like, renewing my faith in this group. (C’mon, you know Vanessa gets asked that all the time)

Spirit of the West
    It’s time to poll the judges and see who they predict will make it to the top ten this week. The judges are unanimous this week and all 4, (including a pre-taped Sass) say Jacob and Theresa. Jacob and Theresa are seated beside each other on the couch, in the very same positions that Kalan and Kaleb were this week. Does this mean anything? Probably not, unless the producers forgot that they used this ‘psyche ‘em out trick’ last week.

Before he announces the results, Ben gives a heartfelt little spiel about what a talented group they all are and how every single one of them is wonderful. He does seem genuine and moments like this I realize why Ben is still there… he cushions the blow. He is Paula. Think about it. Always perky and polite. Frozen on smile. The mean judge is always especially mean to them. Possibly drunk. Maybe that last one is just Paula.

Advancing to the Top 3 of the night is Theresa, (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan), and Bernard, (Edmonton, Alberta) who seems especially surprised and thrilled to advance, if only for the episode. As it comes down to Jacob and Jerrica, Ben asks the judges who he thinks will make it to that last seat. Both Jake and Farley give standard, politically correct answers, although Farley’s does border on the rambling. Perhaps he feels he has to pick up the slack with Sass out of town. Ben asks Zack if there is anyone on the couch that deserves a spot in the Top 3 stools. Zack comments on Jon’s earlier drag queen appearance. Ben then repeats the question. Zack comments on Jon and Ben’s demented Laurel & Hardy act earlier. Ben asks the question a third time and Zack comments on Ben’s shirt. Look, Ben annoys me as much as the next guy, but Zack’s attitude is wearing really thin. Ben wisely moves along and Jacob is awarded the last spot in the night’s Top 3. Big shock.

They’ve Got Personality…
    Last week, two great singers, with little expression or enthusiasm advanced. This week, all three are beaming with excitement and seem really, really, happy to make it there. Even Jacob looks like he’s nervous and excited without being annoying or over the top. He almost seems subdued.

The first to advance to the Top 10 this week, with the most number of votes, is Theresa. Theresa is excited, appreciative and modest and she dedicates Summertime to Group Three. It’s a nice thought, even though I’m sure everyone else wishes that they were singing and dedicating it to her. In any case, she’s so darn earnest, she can’t go wrong. Again, Theresa sings the song well and the judges are obviously pleased with Canada’s vote.

The second person from Group Three to advance to the Top 10 is Jacob. Jacob, like Theresa, looks surprised and pleased and not at all cocky even though it wouldn’t take a genius to figure he would move on as well. He acknowledges Bernard and the rest of his group and takes to the stage to close out the show with Only The Good Die Young.

Next Week – Group Four performs and we’re the much closer to the next round. Thank goodness.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Fortunately, none of the contestants asked Vanessa what Clay is like, renewing my faith in this group.

He is Paula. Think about it. Always perky and polite. Frozen on smile. The mean judge is always especially mean to them. Possibly drunk. Maybe that last one is just Paula.

It’s a nice thought, even though I’m sure everyone else wishes that they were singing and dedicating it to her.
    Great job Miss F
    "That's Numberwang!"

Fluff stole my favourite quote. Great recap, Miss F!

BTW, Theresa was just interviewed on the radio here...she really IS that sweet and earnest.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    Paula! Why didn't we see that before? That's just eerie, that is.
    Another great re-cap, Miss Filangi!

As for Jacob being subdued... is that when he is standing there with his mouth hanging open and his eyebrows raised as he stares blankly at the camera?

eny
    FORT Fogey
    OMG put a long wig on him , and you are so right ...

Great stuff Miss F !

Great Recap Miss F! I have to say I've never minded Barbie Ben too much. In the early shows he was kind to a lot of kids who were feeling down and seemed sincerely trying to encourage them, and that goes a long way with me and lets me like him in spite of his occassional stiffness (minds out of the gutter people!) and unfunny scripted sets......

+ Reply to Thread