+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canadian Idol 06/30 - I Like It, But I Donít Like It

Canadian Idol 06/30 - I Like It, But I Donít Like It

Welcome back everyone to our own little talent show, we call, Canadian Idol. Group Three takes to the stage which means that weíre almost done these qualifying rounds and in a few short weeks weíll be in the Top 10. Or Top 11. Or even Top 15, whatever they decide to milk out of the show, also known as the only Canadian-program-that-makes-money-despite-being-created-because-of-the-huge-success-it-was-in-the-States.

Ben does the introductions like he always does, with a lame theme and then beats it like a dead horse. (This week, musical instruments!) The judges do their best to hide their disdain. Zack rolls his eyes.

Itís time for the performances and Rockland, Ontarioís Constant Bernard starts off the show. Ben makes a lame joke about pinching himself and Constant takes the opportunity to make Ben look like an idiot. Isnít that kind of like the unpopular kid in school picking on the more unpopular kid only so he can look a bit better? Constant takes to the stage with Me & Mrs. Jones. Constant has a good voice, but his performance is quite a bit over the top. Jake says the performance was the best heís seen Constant. Farley also likes it and tells him he gave a great interpretation. Sass quotes her youngest daughter when she tells him that she liked it, but she didnít like it. Zack echoes the sentiment.

In lieu of the usual LíOreal spot, Jon Dore has a pretaped segment where he goes Mission:Impossible in order to feed the kids. He ends up breaking into the hotel kitchen to feed them KD, (thatís Kraft Dinner to our 2 American friends reading this recap) Itís every bit as lame as it sounds, but I do notice that Jon looks almost hot in his black spy wear. Maybe my standards are slipping.

Back to the performances, where Jerrica Santos from Surrey, BC sings Evergreen. She does a nice, if not boring, job. All the judges are impressed. Sass admires her control, Zack says he thinks Jerricaís shown a lot of growth and Jake likes the lower lip quiver than she does.

Andrew Broderick from Sharon, Ontario follows with a Stevie Wonder song. Andrew gives one heck of a performance for a 16 year old, even if itís not all that impressive technically. Sass concedes that it was a tough song to sing, but he pulled it off with his charm. Zack, however, is not impressed and says it wasnít even close. No word yet on what Zack was exactly referring to. Jake is proud that Andrew rose to the occasion and Farley tells him he has star potential.

Saint-Jerome, Quebecís Valerie Jalbert is next with Open Arms. Valerieís English is still a bit shaky, but her accent is almost undetectable with the song. Zack isnít impressed and harshly tells her she has zero charisma and didnít sell the song. Jake strongly disagrees and says that they should just sell Zack. Farley and Sass agree with Jake and heap more praise on Valerie.

After revealing to Ben that his musical idol is Elvis, Edmontonís Bernard Quilala takes to the stage with Angel. Jake says he doesnít know the song, but thinks it was a poor song selection and will hurt him when it comes time for Canadians to vote. Sass loves it and Farley tells him he nailed it. Zack again has his star power meter out and tells him that he rates a zero. Apparently singing a song well doesnít matter. Who does Zack think he is? Simon Cowell?

Woodstock, Ontarioís Diane Archer follows with Nobody Does It Better. Diane is a strong performer and knows how to sing to the camera. Unfortunately, the judges are less than impressed. Farley says she has a great voice and had some very nice moments. Zack says she should insure her legs with Lloydís of London and has a great personalityÖ oh, and sheís an unremarkable singer. Sass says she had some fantastic moments, but didnít live up to her potential. Jake says it wasnít the greatest, but he appreciates that she sold the song.

Jacob Hoggard, Abbotsford, BCís favourite lightning rod takes to the stage with Only The Good Die Young. My first impression is that itís such a perfect song for him and he does a very entertaining performance, complete with knee slide halfway through. Sass calls him a bonafide star. Zack tells him if the French can love Jerry Lewis, Canadians can love Jacob Hoggard. Jake says that his middle name is actually Jacob and Jacob does the name proud. Wow. That is some high praise. Iím not sure why mugging through a Billy Joel song would make Jake proud, but then, thatís just me. Farley gives Jacob the dubious title of being the most anticipated performer of the competition and says he didnít disappoint.

Now normally, I donít detail what happens backstage with Ben. Lame puns, awkward conversation, numbers to call and vote. In this instance, Ben looks SO uncomfortable, that heís actually trying to move away from Jacob. Quickly, Jacob bounces behind the couch and does some impromptu puppetry, indicating which numbers fans are to call for Jacob. Ben had no idea what was going on or what to do about it. Even more than usual, I mean.

Finally, the much praised Theresa Sokyrka from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is up with Summertime. Itís probably just a coincidence that AI3 winner Fantasia sang the same song several times. Theresa makes no attempts to sing the song like Fantasia and sings the song completely differently yet equally as well. The judges, naturally, are thrilled. Zack calls her his favourite of the last 2 years. Jake calls her the class of the class. Farley comments on being able to find soul in Saskatchewan. Sass says sheís full of grace, charm and style. Zack then pipes up again to tell her itís a long show and not to dare choke.

Tomorrow: Which two will advance from this group, especially since there isnít anyone from Nova Scotia?

Have a great Canada Day everyone!
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Ben is actually getting worse with each episode. Everytime he speaks it's uncomfortable. Forget the unfunny jokes. He can't even start a decent conversation. Dump him already!

Quote Originally Posted by happyblue
    Ben is actually getting worse with each episode. Everytime he speaks it's uncomfortable. Forget the unfunny jokes. He can't even start a decent conversation. Dump him already!
    No kidding. With Ryan Seacrest, at least *some* of the jokes and statements seem spontaneous. With Ben Mulroney, it feels like every single word out of his mouth has been written out and rehearsed ahead of time. As for John Dore? He makes me grateful Canadian Idol can't be seen in other countries - it would be too humiliating.

P.S. good recap of the episode!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi

Tomorrow: Which two will advance from this group, especially since there isnít anyone from Nova Scotia?
    How about this: ultimately, the ability of small towns to develop fanatical community-based voting networks combined with the bizarre Canadian Idol "many-of-us-vote-for-unusual-looking-singers-just-to-prove-we're-different-from-Americans" mentality will result in the final being between:
    Brandy and Constant.
    Which will leave the rest of the world wondering "Is everyone in Canada an Endomorph?"

For me the only contestants that stood out were Jacob and Theresa. I wasn't crazy about Theresa's version of Summertime (preferred Fantasia as it had a lot more soul, that style of jazz is technically fine, but lacks a little in the emoting department), but her voice is very good and she is different. I wonder if the judges being so keen could backfire on her?

Jacob I liked for a few reasons. He connects with the audience (and camera), sings decently, and Most Importantly, chooses songs that stand out! Whew, what a relief not to have to sit through another ballad. Why do all these kids choose such samey songs "well, shucks it really meant something to me." Yawn. Thanks Jacob for choosing something with a beat. Good luck tonight.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    [
    Ben makes a lame joke about pinching himself and Constant takes the opportunity to make Ben look like an idiot. Isnít that kind of like the unpopular kid in school picking on the more unpopular kid only so he can look a bit better?

Quickly, Jacob bounces behind the couch and does some impromptu puppetry, indicating which numbers fans are to call for Jacob. Ben had no idea what was going on or what to do about it. Even more than usual, I mean.

!
    Ben may be getting worse, but you just keep getting funnier. Good job, Miss Filangi.

Huge Lotto Winner..$1.49 westernstar's Avatar
    Jacob reminds me of a young Brian Setzer but without the guitar. I can't help wonder if he will be able to sing other songs as well with his style especially the ones picked to sing by the judges. He has great energy on stage. I would like to hear him with his own Vancouver band. Go BC Boy !!!

Quote Originally Posted by westernstar
    Jacob reminds me of a young Brian Setzer but without the guitar. I can't help wonder if he will be able to sing other songs as well with his style especially the ones picked to sing by the judges. He has great energy on stage. I would like to hear him with his own Vancouver band. Go BC Boy !!!
    His band is really good!

+ Reply to Thread