+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canadian Idol 06/24 Ė Special Kís

Canadian Idol 06/24 Ė Special Kís

Group Two stand before the audience like some demented beauty pageant contestants as the results show opens. Host Ben Mulroney explains weíre about to find out who will advance to the Top 10 from this group. Youíll have to sit through at least 15-20 minutes of filler first though.

Oh The Inanity!
    The idol hopefuls have now retreated to the couches where Ben attempts to engage them in witty banter. He asks Filomena if there were any surprises with last nightís performance. She says no. Ben looks at her incredulously. Me too. She expected to be so bad that Jake would tell her it reminded him of bad karaoke? Despite Benís many efforts to engage any of the hopefuls in conversation, none of them attempt to exhibit any sort of persona except maybe Elena, who is dying to be asked a question. Good thing for this group this isnít a pageant because they would get horrible marks on the personality segment of the competition.

To make an awkward situation even moreso, along comes Canadaís answer to the Village Idiot, Jon Dore. Heís back to report on his latest field trip with the kiddies, but first announces to Ben heís leaving the show. Jon asks Ben to guess why heís leaving and then makes some bizarre motions. Ben guesses that Jon is becoming a very bad mime. To Benís credit, that line actually made me laugh and seemed unrehearsed, unlike 95% of everything Ben does. Jon then explains that he took Group Two to the Dragon Boat Races in Toronto and the tape rolls on the excursion where they race a Dragon Boat and sing Oh Canada. Nothing against the organizers of the Dragon Boat Races, which Iím sure is a big deal, (even though I lived in Toronto for several years and never once heard of these races), but canít the producers of this show find something better for these guys to do? Donít they have a house to live in? Canít they go to Canadaís Wonderland or something? If we all chip in $5 surely that would help cover the gas money for the 40 minute drive.

Oh Right, The Results
    Ben asks the judges who they think will advance from Group Two. Every judge picks Kalan and Kaleb, except for Farley, who predicts Kalan and Liz. Judging by their placement on the couch, it doesnít look good for Kalan and Kaleb, who are seated right beside each other. I immediately guess that weíre headed for an upset. The Canadian Idol producers are smarter than I am though, as Ben bounces around from contestant to contestant in no particular order. To no oneís surprise, Kalan is first to advance to the top 3. Soon to follow is Kaleb who makes a point of acknowledging everyone in his group and seems as though he feels almost guilty to advance. Or advance to the top 3 anyhow, there is always the possibility of that last, cruel cut in an attempt to fill more airtime. Finally itís down to Mark, Liz and Elena. Ben continues with the awkward trend of asking the judges who they think should feel that last spot. Most of the judges give safe answers like Zack, who says that some people will be back for the Wild Card show. Sass says that both Mark and Liz would be deserving of that last spot. Ben asks, Ďand Elenaí? Sass tells him he said it, not her. Ouch. Unlike AI, Ben doesnít wait for the break and announces that Elena advances to the top 3. No one is more surprised than Elena. Except for maybe Liz. Elena bounces up to the stools, tugging her short skirt as much as she can, obviously rethinking her outfit selection.

Itís Still All About The Blond Curly Hair
    The first to go through from this group and the third member of the top ten with the most amount of votes is Kalan. Kalan looks shy and embarrassed as Ben tries to get some reaction from him. Kalan isnít giving it up, so Ben chastises him for not giving him a soundbite and lets him sing. Kalan sings it just as well as he did the night before.

Itís down to Kaleb and Elena. Kaleb looks like heís eaten something that didnít sit well with him while Elena still looks happy to be there regardless. Joining Kalan in the top ten is Kaleb. Again, Ben tries to get some reaction, but Kaleb is quiet and only tells him his heart is at room temperature. I think Ben wanted to know how fast your heart was beating, Kaleb, not when youíd expect it would be fully cooked.

Next week, Group Three performs and two more contestants advance.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi

To make an awkward situation even moreso, along comes Canadaís answer to the Village Idiot, Jon Dore.

but canít the producers of this show find something better for these guys to do? Donít they have a house to live in? Canít they go to Canadaís Wonderland or something? If we all chip in $5 surely that would help cover the gas money for the 40 minute drive.

Itís Still All About The Blond Curly Hair

Again, Ben tries to get some reaction, but Kaleb is quiet and only tells him his heart is at room temperature. I think Ben wanted to know how fast your heart was beating, Kaleb, not when youíd expect it would be fully cooked.

Great re-cap, Miss Filangi!

may
    FORT Regular
    Something is really not right with this Kaleb character. Either he has a zero IQ or he is simply not there.

The Dragon Boat Race has been a big event in the Chinese community in Toronto for years. It is actually a festival in memory of a famous poet in ancient China. I am sure Jack Layton was there.

Ben looks at her incredulously. Me too. She expected to be so bad that Jake would tell her it reminded him of bad karaoke?

Elena bounces up to the stools, tugging her short skirt as much as she can, obviously rethinking her outfit selection.

I think Ben wanted to know how fast your heart was beating, Kaleb, not when youíd expect it would be fully cooked.
    Great job MissF
    "That's Numberwang!"

I LOVEEE Kalan! I don't like Kaleb.
    cARRIE uNDERWOOD iS mY aMERICAN iDOL

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by may
    Something is really not right with this Kaleb character. Either he has a zero IQ or he is simply not there.

The Dragon Boat Race has been a big event in the Chinese community in Toronto for years. It is actually a festival in memory of a famous poet in ancient China. I am sure Jack Layton was there.

It's pretty big through most of Southwestern Ontario with many communities staging races. Some groups travel from city to city competing. In our community one of the groups that races are the breast cancer buddies. Theyr ace to show strength, solidarity and that one can come back and as an added plus, the regular rowing practice is good for damaged muscles.

I think the producers fixed the voting to keep Kaleb in the show because he makes Jon Dore seem witty and intelligent by comparison

Personally, I would have preferred Elena to make it in - spunky/wacky/kooky yes, but at least that girl has a real personality to go with a great voice.

Well, I'm 3 for 4 in predictions. I knew Kaleb would have a strong performance but I didn't think Canada would accept him. And I think I underestimated the power of the Nova Scotia voting-bloc. Thankfully, there aren't anymore NS singers.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Who are we kidding here? Kaleb is stoned out his gourd. If his eyes were any heavier or more bloodshot, he could get himself a big, goofy cat and make a live-action Ren and Stimpy movie.

+ Reply to Thread