+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Article: "Is 'Chaotic' Career Suicide?"

Sher wrote:
    it is. i think everyone suspected she was dumb... i mean, how could you not? but this show is clearing up any doubt. she's stupid and does dumb things - and i think that making that statement so clearly with this show will turn off a lot of her fans
    Couldn't agree more. I mean she marries a "man" that is known to be a "deadbeat dad." What's going to happen when the next big thing crosses his path. I really cannot believe she is this dumb. I hate these young girls are doing this to themselves over men who don't amount to anything.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Great article. Thanks for sharing it. My co-worker summed up the show this way. "Think of a six-part Jerry Springer episode entitled Lifestyles of the Rich, Famous and White Trash."

FORT Regular
    She isn't stupid.. she's just lost it. Whether that journalist or anyone wants to admit it, at one time she was an exceptional performer. Around the same time, she was also very shy when not performing. Whatever percentage of that was her image, the underlying reason to it was no doubt real insecurity. Somewhere along the line (few years ago), she let loose and stopped giving any thought to anything she does, and took the general recognition she gets as encouragement. Unfortunatly, she was only good as a performer, and as we all can tell by now, is quite horrible at coming across as a real person. Madonna never could act human either, and she's fallen flat on her face at every attempt she's tried to do it (talking about religion, acting, speaking her mind on issues..etc etc). I wouldn't classify either of them as stupid, they just overstepped themselves and didn't realize or want to realize their limited appeal. The headline of the article is fair enough, though. Rather than check herself, she's taken it to self-destruction territory with a pack of Marlboros and a lot of money to blow.
    Last edited by trimspa; 05-18-2005 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trimspa
    She isn't stupid.. she's just lost it. Whether that journalist or anyone wants to admit it, at one time she was an exceptional performer. Around the same time, she was also very shy when not performing. Whatever percentage of that was her image, the underlying reason to it was no doubt real insecurity. Somewhere along the line (few years ago), she let loose and stopped giving any thought to anything she does, and taking the general recognition she gets as encouragement. Unfortunatly, she was only good as a performer, and as we all can tell by now, is quite horrible at coming across as a real person. Madonna never could act human either, and she's fallen flat on her face at every attempt she's tried to do it (talking about religion, acting, speaking her mind on issues..etc etc). I wouldn't classify either of them as stupid, they just overstepped themselves and didn't realize or want to realize their limited appeal. The headline of the article is fair enough, though. Rather than check herself, she's taken it to self-destruction territory with a pack of Marlboros and a lot of money to blow.
    Good point.
    I heard that she wanted this show to be like Madonna's Truth or Dare. Maybe she just wants to be known for being Britney. Madonna is a great performer but a lot of her fame is because she's Madonna and she's created a lot of scandal and publicity for herself.

"Federhump" that was great...

JR.
    Here's another wonderfully positive review
    http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles..._stale_script/

'Chaotic' shows desperate Spears using stale script

By Matthew Gilbert, Globe Staff | May 18, 2005

As if aware that her musical talent is limited, Britney Spears has learned to use her private life to stay in the limelight. She has become a glutton for the tabloid lens, manufacturing personal dramas to keep the paparazzi and the public interested. Hoping to follow Madonna's example, the now-pregnant Spears is desperately trying to cultivate a Warholian celebrity that will transcend the ups and downs of her performing career. Soon enough, she must be hoping, she'll be famous simply for being famous.

Last night on Channel 38, the 23-year-old singer introduced her latest bit of showy self-exploitation, a reality project called ''Britney and Kevin: Chaotic." The six-episode UPN series is little more than a pastiche of home movies about Spears's life on the road, her longing for love, and her growing relationship with now-husband Kevin Federline. Not surprisingly, there's nothing creative or original about it, as it follows the overused blueprint of MTV's ''Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica." Like Madonna's own ''Madonna: Truth or Dare," a 1991 big-screen pioneer of today's celeb-reality craze, it's just a tedious public exercise in self-importance and striptease. As Spears tells us that ''the sex is really good" with Federline, she brings new meaning to the phrase ''too much information."

The footage is primarily from Spears's own ''Britney cam," which she frequently turns on herself in the back of her limo, or in her lavish hotel rooms, to film her own funny faces. She films members of her entourage -- her hair stylist, her dancers, her assistant, Felicia, who carries her own ''Felicia cam" -- as they suffer silly questions about love and sex. She films the photographers who wait outside her hotel room. And, after she flies Federline to Europe to join her on tour, she films him clowning around and laying in the sun. She also films him in the shower.

At one point, the smooth Federline claims that he's ''camera shy." As if. Indeed, we can probably assume there are Britney-Kevin sex clips in someone's safe or on someone's computer, just waiting to be leaked onto the Internet at a strategic moment.

All the show's rough footage is punctuated with more recent ''confessional" interviews with Spears, in which she narrates her story. But the story is really more of an aimless and clueless ramble, providing nothing more valuable than a glimpse of how pampered pop stars really live on the road. Spears tells us she's making the series to reveal to the world that she's not just a public figure, that she's human. At one point she boldly challenges our willingness to see beyond her media image: ''Can you handle my truth?" she asks. The answer is yes, we can, but we may not want to.

thanks JR.! people would be hard pressed to actually find any article that critiques this show in a positive light. (because it undeniably sucks SO hard.)

i also want to add... though britney thinks this is following in the footsteps of madonna's "truth or dare" home video, she's wrong. i have seen that movie, too, and this one isn't even similar. at least that movie was interesting to watch - and the camera people were able to steady the handheld. britney's videos are just lame and boring. yes, both movies were about the stars' megalomania, but the silliness of britney's is just in a league of its own.
    Last edited by sher; 05-19-2005 at 11:55 AM.

Sex clips!!!! NONONONO I do not even want to go there. If one gets "leaked" she is even dumber than we think.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    I've seen white trash with money, and it's not a pretty sight.

This is like that, only multiplied infinitely.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Before the show aired I was looking forward to the snark and fun to be had at Britney's expense, but now I am begining to feel sorry for her. (Please, don't mind me, snark on).
    She is obviously desperate for love, which she probably equates with sex. Kevin is along for the ride and the people around her are no help to her at all. It's like another Michael Jackson in the making. A former star become so delusional that they don't realize their lifestyle is dangerous and odd. What must her mother be thinking? Is she like Jackson's mom, in denial and happy for the gifts?

+ Reply to Thread