+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bonaduce (VH1)

I can't argue with that - I simply don't know.

I was referring to the past when I said he'd always taken care of his family/provided well. I have seen them on various shows before (not the first time they've invited cameras in - including during the male talk show he was on a while back, and other times) and they always have had really nice homes, etc. Even that dog they have costs a lot of $.

I know he was fired... (having read the whole long thread at the other site ) but one thing I read had Howard Stern mulling over hiring Danny for Sirius. A lot depends upon how healthy he can stay tween now & then, and how reliable he is seen to be... Or how worth the risk. If Stern thinks it will bring listeners over, he might risk it for a year at least. Practically speaking, Danny's scraped bottom before and bounced back. It just wasn't televised those other times. I think the therapy brought it out of hiding for his wife, and the show brought it out of hiding for well, the rest of the world LOL. But the tranny incident etc., those things show this stuff's been going on a long time.

Just like when one of his friends said "We haven't seen that since high school" when Danny jumped into some stranger's car - So does that mean he used to do that then, too? Scary.

I feel really bad for Isabella - she is already talking like a co-dependent and if she feels responsible for her family at her age, she's heading for trouble.

lei
    FORT Fogey
    lots of good insights here. thanks all.

i'm curious about what has happened since re: sobriety (and the family, though i bet one has much to do with the other.) does anyone have current news (or, though i feel tactless asking, can anyone direct me to spoilers?) thanks and aloha.

I can't believe they talk about all their troubles with their kids. The little girl shouldn't know as much as she does, that's too much stress for a little girl..That's what angers me about Gretchen, HELLO lady!!!!!!!.. get your kids OUT of that MESS!!!!

Isabella is going to need therapy when gets older, heck she could probably use some now...

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    I can't argue with that - I simply don't know.

I was referring to the past when I said he'd always taken care of his family/provided well. I have seen them on various shows before (not the first time they've invited cameras in - including during the male talk show he was on a while back, and other times) and they always have had really nice homes, etc. Even that dog they have costs a lot of $.
    Yeah, I know.... I don't know either. I know DJs do seem to bounce back, at least to another station, but before I posted about his firing, I did a quick Google and can't find that he's been hired anywhere since. I guess maybe they got paid for doing this show...? Maybe he also earns residuals from Partridge Family...?

When I first started watching this series, I thought it seemed they both were both "acting" for the cameras, but now I fear that they are both really the way they are showing.... it makes me very sad. And now that I've been sucked into this reality(?), I'm hoping it is an act for their soap opera(?)

I find myself rooting for her to leave, but then I find myself rooting for him to mature and tell her how he really feels without being the macho meany he's coming across as, but of course that probably not going to happen unless she leaves him and he gets the help he needs. And, then as the cycle of abuse goes, that's probably not the end of it.

It's like a bad dream I can't turn off. I guess it's good(?) TV. Must be. I keep tuning in... I think I need therapy from watching this program.

I think in a sense they're acting... old scripts from their childhoods. She, the ever-patient, ever-understanding angel. He, the perpetual screwup. Who prides himself in not missing a day of work throughout.

This show happened at a time the scripts changed - she stopped being SO understanding, others called him on his James Dean act, and his work was threatened (and later lost). No wonder he said "What in the H happened here?" He truly is so used to that old, old cycle.

I keep tuning in... I think I need therapy from watching this program.
    I know exactly how you feel! And usually I make it a point not to crane and look at (real life) car crashes. However, he smartly foresaw even that - those ads giving us all "every right to slow down and look at the car crash."

The thing is one day he's gonna run smack into some reality for real... not a hyper dramatic abuse cycle filmed for tv... & then it'll be too late.

There's already signs of Isabella growing into a future version of her co-dependent mother. Scary. Dante - who will he imitate? The poor kids. I didn't know he was quite this dedicated to destroying himself.

ETA: To answer your questions: No residuals from Partridge, I'm pretty sure. In those days they didn't foresee syndication and also, no one counted the actors as deserving a share of the pie. Actors did not make residuals in those days. They did get paid for the (reality) show - I dunno how much, but he referenced that in one episode: "This show means exactly as much as the amount my check is for."
    Last edited by Brandy; 10-18-2005 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    ETA: To answer your questions: No residuals from Partridge, I'm pretty sure. In those days they didn't foresee syndication and also, no one counted the actors as deserving a share of the pie. Actors did not make residuals in those days. They did get paid for the (reality) show - I dunno how much, but he referenced that in one episode: "This show means exactly as much as the amount my check is for."
    Sorry to hear they don't get residuals. I've seen Danny on many programs over the years. Gretchen and him were even on TLC's baby program. I forget the name of it, I don't watch it ... was channel surfing awhile ago and saw he was on it and he was entertaining even on that program so I kept it on. I believe it was their first child so it may have been before they had so many problems.

ANYWAY (I do go off on tangents), most of the programs I've seen him on have been interviews concerning child actors and he always expresses his gratitude for the experience unlike most child actors who resent the long hours and perceived exploitation.

OK, FINALLY my point ... maybe he got paid for all those appearances, but still, yeah they're living pretty high on the hog right now as far as possessions/property go. Hopefully, they can rise above all this other crap he's going through.

Breaking Bonaduce is so sad for me to watch.

I would like to think Gretchen has had control of their checkbook and may have made good decisions about how to manage the income. There is one thing that Danny does well... and that is sell himself. So he is a earner, who can afford to feed his kids and pay the light bill. Can you image what he would be like now if he did not have his wife and kids. Something tells me he might not still be around.

But I have seen him speak about how brutal of a father he had... and after watching these shows with Danny and Gretchen... it seems like Danny never has really address the issue of growing up with father that saw him as the "meal ticket" for the family. I recall that his father was not a "earner" and Danny's salary from P.F. was spent long before he was 18.

I would have hoped that Danny would recognize that he is doing to his own family... what obviously his own father had done to his... just flat out terrorizing them daily. I have not notice this doctor really address what in the world makes Danny, crazy. Telling Danny he needs anger management seems lame when there has not been any real work done to base where all that crazy anger came from... Anger management won't help till Danny can realize that he is carrying the bulk of that anger from 1971...

I felt so sad for Isabelle,when Gretchen was telling the counsellor how upset Isabelle was about the situation....
    I can't believe they talk about all their troubles with their kids. The little girl shouldn't know as much as she does, that's too much stress for a little girl..That's what angers me about Gretchen, HELLO lady!!!!!!!.. get your kids OUT of that MESS!!!!
    I agree 100 percent!!!!!!!!

As for Danny's childhood,from what I understand,Danny wasn't expected to be the breadwinner,his father was jealous when Danny hit it big on the PF.
    His father wrote for All in the Family and I noticed just recently while watching Goodtimes on TvLand Danny's dad also worked on that show.
    But I think the counselor should of first started with his childhood,work on that...Maybe with the magic of editing,they might of talked in detail about his childhood,,who knows.....

I'm pretty sure they were on "A Baby Story" and it was with Dante, their second child, according to what I've read.

I saw some of that show too, and I recall him being funny as always.

He does seem punctual and reliable when it comes to his job/his work (even appearances like that which are sort of just publicity I think). I recall seeing a few eps of that show he was on with Dick Clark and Mario someone? And another guy?

On one ep a woman was going to give birth 'live' on the show... and Danny was the only one to show up immediately, and stay through the whole thing. When the others got there hours later, Danny was like "I was here - where were you?" I think he's very Type A (energy/ambition to BURN), and life isn't offering him enough challenges so he creates his own (negative ones). That plus all the other reasons he's manic, addictive, etc., etc...

I think he does not know what to do with downtime nor can he stand it. He should learn some new things, volunteer for charity... but he seems a sensation junkie (no pun).

Yeah, Danny was co-host of a show called "The Other Half", basically a male version of "The View", and it was on for a few seasons if I recall. It was then that it seemed like Danny really FINALLY had his life in order..no such luck I guess...He's more of a mess now than ever.

+ Reply to Thread