+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bonaduce (VH1)

Do you think therapy can recapture self-worth?
    Yes I do but, if he is a narcissist, they have the lowest recovery (for lack of better word) rate of any seeking help - partly because they don't feel they really need it, partly because they like living on 'the edge' and fooling others as to their 'real self' and partly cos they feel invincible... And they do indeed have a way of landing on their feet and having those 9 lives!

Does Danny want to change? That is really the question. Or does he want his cake and eat it too? Or Vicodin/Steroids as the case may be?

That old adage about "you can't change anyone only they can change themselves" is true. Thing is, Danny knows and recites the damage from his childhood, and his actions of the past, better than anyone else can. It still hasn't changed him.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by agamergirl
    I can't believe how much of a jerk he is! Why has Gretchen stayed married to him? I would have been long gone. He's a control freak with an uncontrolable rage. What a train wreck.
    because she is an idiot, anyone that would marry him after knowing him for only seven hours deserves what she gets, but he really needs a megadose of electroshock therapy and then have a ballbat do a major tap dance on his skull until he gets some common sence back and starts acting like a human being instead of a spoiled troglodyte

Troglodyte!!!
    Go Tigers!

FORT Fan
    Whenever I hear him describe the things he's done in the past, in that fast talking way of his, it always comes across to me as if he's bragging. I don't usually sense much remorse or even regret. The only time we do see those things are when he really breaks down like when he's with the doctor/ therapist. And even then it's hard for me to feel too badly for him because he makes so many other people pay for his problems with his threats and general all around abuse. Thanks

Does anyone know what Gretchen's background is? What is her occupation? Has she worked since she married Danny? She seems to be a good mom, and I would hate to think that she stays with him for finacial reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by paulvons
    Whenever I hear him describe the things he's done in the past, in that fast talking way of his, it always comes across to me as if he's bragging. I don't usually sense much remorse or even regret...
    He knows he doesn't deserve his wife or his kids and that they could leave at any time. After all he puts them through who would blame them?
    Maybe he thinks that his past is all he really has. He did it himself and he can do it again. SNAP!

Gretchen seems scared 99% of the time. I agree that she keeps herself busy to avoid him. Wouldn't you?
    When he grabbed her head in therapy I was waiting for the dorky shrink to notice how terrified she looked and make him back off.
    No such luck. Fire the shrink!

Does he ever put his arms all the way down to his sides? He looks like an ape when he walks. Yuck!

The crew of the show seems afraid of him too. Danny needs a good old-fashioned butt kicking.

Also...
    Who WAS driving the black car that gave Danny a ride? What happened to going to the W to stop the party?
    Why did he wimp out? Where's the beef now?

I keep thinking that they will wrap the show on April Fool's Day.
    It will all be shown to be bogus and the Bonaduce family will get fat paychecks.
    It happened once on The Osbourne's.
    When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

FORT Newbie

Give them both a break !!

It it extremely obvious that Danny is Bi-Polar and probably a couple other
    things as well. The main thing is to get him completely off of the alcohol,
    drugs and what ever else he is on and start with Lithium and then perhaps other drugs as needed. They come across as good people that seem to love
    each other. But the control issue on his part has to end. When Grechen
    does what she wants to do and he does'nt have a say in the matter, he immediately turns to alcohol and drugs. He ruined her concert and birthday party. Not to mention the affair he had. She has to learn to love him again
    before she can even think of sleeping with him. Everytime she would try to speak in the shrinks office, he would cut her off and try to get her to say she loved him in front of the doctor. He is pretty messed up, and has alot of hard work ahead of him !!!!!! I hope they find some way to make it work for the kids sake.

Like I said in one of my post,Gretchen has to be a little whacky,marrying
    Danny on their first date................She knew he had issues,the drugs,
    picking up transvestites..Also she must have issues about sex,never wanting
    to give him any..Didn't he say he lasts about 30 seconds when they do
    have sex,geez that's not taking up too much of her time........
    What did she expect not giving him any,,,of course he would stray...
    Who WAS driving the black car that gave Danny a ride?
    It was just some guy,,one of the crew said he just jumped in a strangers car,how junior high.

paulvons - too right. I think he's bragging - proud of what he can do and get away with it - which to me says NPD loud & clear but there are degrees of that.

The keyword with him I think is 'selfish'. He seems to break down only when HE stands to lose or can't squirm his way out of a situation. All other times he's bravado and bullying. I don't see him think about the effect his behavior has on his wife or kids - or how it made Gretchen feel to be embarrassed at her party like that. He also seems extreeeemely manipulative (not that she doesn't at times too but he's so extreme it's hard to even guess how she'd be in a normal situation).

guttergal - according to that 'other board' Gretchen was a cocktail waitress when Danny's radio station set him up on a blind date with her in Arizona. From cocktail waitress in Arizona to someone on tv and married to a 'celeb' no matter how tangential... if she enjoys the spotlight, (not to mention big money and not having to shlep drinks to drunks), it's no contest there. Sadly that may be part of the attraction (but who knows). At this point she is dug in deep. As for her occupation since marriage I have never heard of any (and I've seen them on other shows before). Danny in the show refers to her as a stay at home mom. Hope that helps.

ETA: Stay at home mom IS an occupation too. But I know what guttergal was asking about was a career outside the home/family.
    Last edited by Brandy; 10-11-2005 at 08:26 PM.

30 seconds?!

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDooGal
    ...she must have issues about sex, never wanting to give him any..Didn't he say he lasts about 30 seconds when they do have sex, geez that's not taking up too much of her time........
    30 seconds isn't worth taking your clothes off for. He needs to get it right.
    How is she supposed to trust him not to give her some kind of STD if he's cheated?
    Also trust is a major part of intimacy and I wouldn't blame her if she doesn't have any trust in him.
    When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

+ Reply to Thread