+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bonaduce (VH1)

Maybe you're right but I've been leaning toward Bipolar...

High level of energy, grandiose thoughts or ideas, and impulsive or reckless behavior. These symptoms may feel good to a person, which may lead to denial that there is a problem.

Symptoms may appear to be part of another illness or attributed to other problems, such as substance abuse, poor school performance, or trouble in the workplace.

The symptoms of mania, which can last up to three months if untreated, include:

• Excessive energy, activity, restlessness, racing thoughts and rapid talking
    • Denial that anything is wrong
    • Extreme "high" or euphoric feelings
    • Easily irritated or distracted
    • Decreased need for sleep
    • Unrealistic beliefs in one’s ability and powers
    • Uncharacteristically poor judgment
    • Sustained period of behavior that is different from usual
    • Unusual sexual drive
    • Abuse of drugs, particularly cocaine, alcohol or sleeping medications
    • Provocative, intrusive or aggressive behavior

Some people experience periods of normal mood and behavior following a manic phase; however, the depressive phase will eventually appear. Symptoms of depression include:
    • Persistent sad, anxious or empty mood
    • Sleeping too much or too little, middle-of-the-night or early morning waking
    • Reduced appetite and weight loss or increased appetite and weight gain
    • Loss of interest or pleasure in activities, including sex
    • Irritability or restlessness
    • Difficulty concentrating, remembering or making decisions
    • Fatigue or loss of energy
    • Persistent physical symptoms that don’t respond to treatment (such as chronic pain or digestive disorders)
    • Thoughts of death or suicide, including suicide attempts
    • Feeling guilty, hopeless or worthless
    When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Danny is just plain whacko-always has been-always will be. The poor wife would probably leave him in a second (if she's smart) but is probably afraid of what he could do.

He's said he's bipolar actually. But I think some people can have more than one disorder like that. I like him too (what I know of him), and I don't feel a lot of this is his fault. His childhood was hardly stable. Hearing that his father abused him - well one thing a lot of formerly abused kids do, is pick up in adulthood where their abusive parent left off in their younger years. "See dad? I'm being a good boy. I'm beating me, too". They don't know they're doing it. But that is just what they're doing.

That makes it all seem more normal, too, and it's easier than facing maybe the parent loved themselves and their compulsion to control, more than they loved you. The narcissistically wounded child, when grown, needs to be pumped up to bigger than normal size, otherwise, that worst fear - they are bad and unlovable, might be true. IF they're special and bigger than life, it can't possibly be true. Everyone's looking at them. Everyone's saying they're talented, funny, great. For some it's focused on appearance: everyone's saying they're gorgeous, perfect.

Meanwhile they're not so sure, so they spend the rest of the time BEING as bad as they can, and/or mistreating people, etc., (as well as themselves) to test people into saying how bad they are. Then, what their abuser said and did seems validated, and see, it wasn't dad's fault. Dad was just saying the truth and acting accordingly. Dad was Ok, it was me that was bad. These other people are saying so now too.

Then they rebel against that again, and want to prove how special they are. Including doing dangerous behavior and getting away with it and/or living through what would kill most people. It's a real fine tightrope he keeps walking. No wonder then that someone with that background would be bipolar. I think not everyone is born with the illness, I think stress develops it in some people.

Gretchen won't leave him - she needs him in her own way. She needs to see herself as his savior, and she also uses his problems to avoid facing her own. Classic codependent enabler. I don't think either of them are bad people. I do think they are both haunted.

One last thing... steroids can cause bipolar disorder (they did in Jane Pauley) let alone make things worse. He's really playing with fire, using that stuff. (I do think that many mental illnesses have a root in metabolics: Especially since physical symptoms are often a part of it. What seems like depression or bipolar disorder may actually be neurological damage, or possibly metabolical illness of some sort. If it is tied into blood sugar, then his drinking also doesn't help.)
    Last edited by Brandy; 10-02-2005 at 06:16 PM.

No wonder she doesn't like sex.
    Danny says it took him "30 seconds".
    He needs to work allot harder than that!
    Foreplay Danny, foreplay!

I've also got to tell you that I don't think that wanting to get in his wife's pants is Danny "opening up".
    He seems to want to get into every woman's pants.
    How is that supposed to make his wife feel special?
    Maybe if he would talk with her and listen to her she would open up emotionally and be inspired to be physical.
    Why isn't the shrink telling him this?
    Oh that’s right, he sucks.
    Last edited by Nike7; 10-03-2005 at 01:14 PM.

I remember Danny saying he was bi-polar...
    Mixing anti depressants,alcohol,pain killers,
    and steroids is a recipe for trouble,,,no
    wonder he snaps out like he does.......
    You can tell he loathes himself..I feel
    bad for the guy.I think his wife is whacky
    she dosen't help matters either.Who marrys
    someone on the first night they meet.And
    she knew he had issues when she married him.

I have to admit,last night when he hit himself
    upside with the coffee cup,I couldn't stop laughing...

Maybe if he would talk with her and listen to her she would open up emotionally and be inspired to be physical.
    Why isn't the shrink telling him this?
    Oh that’s right, he sucks.
    That sound was every woman in the world exhaling and saying TOO RIGHT...

--

Edit to avoid double-post.

I am playing the TiVo'd episode again... (this last one, where Gretchen has her birthday party - I won't say more in case of spoilers)

Do you not love that hair and makeup guy? More than a bit of a stereotype (those eyelashes!) but - he cracks me up. "Well honey she is a sl-ut." And Gretchen's response: "Be careful who you screw in Hollywood. You never know whose wife will get a reality tv show." Bwwaaaa.

Could that be closer to the real reason for her signing up? haha

When Danny said it was only for the $$ for him though, I believed him.
    Last edited by Brandy; 10-03-2005 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDooGal
    ...I have to admit,last night when he hit himself
    upside with the coffee cup,I couldn't stop laughing...
    I couldn't stop laughing when the shrink said, "I understand that".
    Understand what!?
    Are you saying that YOU hit yourself in the head with coffee mugs?

Who thinks that Danny was REALLY crying?
    I was looking for tears and saw none.
    Could have been the drugs messing with him, bringing him down...
    Painkillers and a hang over will do that to you.

Nice that he flat out said that he did the show for the money.
    At least he has the ability to be honest... sometimes.
    Last edited by Nike7; 10-03-2005 at 08:02 PM.

I think he was crying, but maybe as much out of confusion and exhaustion as anything else.

The coffee mug thing... what the ...?

Speaking of what the. That was one bizarre birthday bash of Gretchen's. Hymns one minute, stripper the next? Hah? Was the stripper the show's idea, maybe? I thought he was singularly unattractive, too. Kinda looked like he had B.O.

I will say that Gretchen must have something going for her if she has friends who'd drive cross country for her birthday party. Well, either that or they like being on tv...

It did seem like the show baited the bull. Did someone (we don't get to see who) HAVE to tell Danny "oh they're hiring strippers - I'm sure of it!"

SHEESH.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    A narcissist in the psychiatric sense, does have an empty core of self loathing, they over compensate by being grandiose and/or making it all about them. Vacillating between a big ego and being counter productive, workaholic or some other holic, and/or self hatred. Simultaneously insecure and full of themselves. Best and worst in the world.

Sound like anybody we know?
    You've met my mom?

I haven't watched the show, but can testify from personal experience that clinical narcissism is, indeed, really, really difficult to treat.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Bi Polar~ Bi Schmolar, The man is whacked out of his mind. He's 50 years old, if he hasn't figured out how to well by now, he never will. He literally tortures his wife and kids with his ridiculous behaviors & it's downright cruel to continue to put them through that hell everyday.

+ Reply to Thread