+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7/27/05 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    I'll see if I can glean the song info from the credits when I watch the show again tonight while writing my recap.

Maybe checkout ABC's website....maybe they have a "songs heard on Brat Camp" page just like WB has for Smallville or any of their other shows.
    I'll try again but I couldn't find it before.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

FORT Regular
    It's possible that Nick doesn't think in equations. I am twenty years old and have to really stop think out simple division and multiplication problems like Nick was faced with, and it's not about the calculators or anything, actually - it's more about the fact that I don't think in numbers and equations. If you were giving me WORD problems, on the other hand, visibly written that I could read, I do much better, but if you just say "15 / 3 = ?", I have to stop. Not so much now but especially in high school, now I have done them so many times that I just remember, but when I was younger, it sucked hardcore when we had to go up and do equations on the board in front of other students and I was still counting on my fingers to make sure I didn't do it wrong.

I don't have any problems with words or letters, I am a lit. major, and can write papers, articles, poetry, etc etc etc like nobody's business, but math-y things, including written music is very very difficult for my brain to grasp, and that might be some of the problem for Nick.

All in all, what a tearjerker of a show! GOD!

Hmm, your post makes me wonder Alcina....does dyslexia manifest itself in math as well? I have no idea if it does or not. Honestly, I don't know that I fully understand dyslexia in the first place.

It just seems that, if dyslexia is a reading issue exclusively, then perhaps Nick could, in the future, apply himself more in the math area and excel there.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    Hmm, your post makes me wonder Alcina....does dyslexia manifest itself in math as well? I have no idea if it does or not. Honestly, I don't know that I fully understand dyslexia in the first place.

It just seems that, if dyslexia is a reading issue exclusively, then perhaps Nick could, in the future, apply himself more in the math area and excel there.
    I have a close friend who has dyslexia and does transpose numbers frequently and has trouble with numbers and reading.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    ... therefore (Nick) probably can't use a calc either. But I think he's a smart kid...
    Based on what?? He's a punk who is in a Brat Camp and can't figure out 5 x 3 in his head -- he's not READING it, after all. Dyslexia is a cop out and it's this rationale that has lead him to where he is. Finally he must face consequences for his defiance and laziness, and he will finally get a chance to grow up by being held accountable for his actions, and forced to actually apply himself.

I think that in spite of his behaviour which landed him in Brat Camp, he's probably a GOOD kid deep down, and this will be brought out in the course of the show, but there is nothing to suggest that he is "smart".

Not picking on you, Gabriel, just making a point based on the evidence we've been shown so far. A kid half his age should know 5 x 3.
    Ay carrumba!

Quote Originally Posted by getreal
    Based on what?? He's a punk who is in a Brat Camp and can't figure out 5 x 3 in his head -- he's not READING it, after all. Dyslexia is a cop out and it's this rationale that has lead him to where he is. Finally he must face consequences for his defiance and laziness, and he will finally get a chance to grow up by being held accountable for his actions, and forced to actually apply himself.

I think that in spite of his behaviour which landed him in Brat Camp, he's probably a GOOD kid deep down, and this will be brought out in the course of the show, but there is nothing to suggest that he is "smart".

Not picking on you, Gabriel, just making a point based on the evidence we've been shown so far. A kid half his age should know 5 x 3.
    Ay carrumba!
    I know a few people who cannot do math in their heads for anything, it just does not happen, and for that friend of mine who has dyslexia you put numbers on paper it is all a jumble to him. but he is a smart person.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Ay carrumba!
    Dyslexia leads many kids to frustration because of their inability to read and do math concepts. This is further heightened by those who don't believe there is a problem and tells them to straighten out and buck up. My son has a learning disability, not dyslexia, but he has a very hard time with math concepts and cannot do math in his head. He is a very smart kid in many areas but doesn't do well in a school setting. He is very self conscious of his disabilities and struggles to maintain some kind of good self image.
    Nick has probably dealt with many people telling him that he's stupid and a trouble maker and many other things. He may not have been diagnosed soon enough and felt inferior for a long time. These things add up and when they aren't dealt with, they may manifest into a child raging at the world.
    Until you have a child with a disability, you may not realize how difficult it is to deal with this and don't have the sympathy for a child struggling with his or her self esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamsohooked
    My son has a learning disability, not dyslexia, but he has a very hard time with math concepts and cannot do math in his head. He is a very smart kid in many areas but doesn't do well in a school setting. He is very self conscious of his disabilities and struggles to maintain some kind of good self image.
    <snip>
    Until you have a child with a disability, you may not realize how difficult it is to deal with this and don't have the sympathy for a child struggling with his or her self esteem.
    My hat's off to you, Iamsohooked. Best wishes to you and your child.

I know dyslexics who have overome many obstacles. But Nick (and all the kids on Brat Camp) is also in the throes of puberty, so there's a lot more going on with hormones etc.

But saying that Nick is "smart" in spite of no evidence in favor of, and clear evidence to the contrary (he can't figure out 5 x 3 at the age of 14), is like saying that someone who can't swim is a great swimmer. Sure, you can put them in the deep end of a pool and they will quickly travel 12 feet through the water, so they must be a great swimmer. But that would be ignoring the fact that they can only travel through the water in one direction -- straight DOWN!

any luck finding the info for that song I was looking for?
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

My hat's off to you, Iamsohooked. Best wishes to you and your child.

I know dyslexics who have overome many obstacles. But Nick (and all the kids on Brat Camp) is also in the throes of puberty, so there's a lot more going on with hormones etc.

But saying that Nick is "smart" in spite of no evidence in favor of, and clear evidence to the contrary (he can't figure out 5 x 3 at the age of 14), is like saying that someone who can't swim is a great swimmer. Sure, you can put them in the deep end of a pool and they will quickly travel 12 feet through the water, so they must be a great swimmer. But that would be ignoring the fact that they can only travel through the water in one direction -- straight DOWN!
    Being dyslexic has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not a person is smart! A person's inability to process things in a certain way is in no way an indicator of their intelligence. A comment like the above "evidence to the contrary" is exactly what can make a person with dyslexia feel inferior and stupid!

I should know -- I'm dyslexic myself. Yet despite the same "evidence to the contrary" that Nick displayed, I am a college graduate and on my last IQ test scored one tick away from being a so-called 'genius' (by IQ test standards).

I now have a 15 year old daughter who is also dyslexic and who has also gone through periods of feeling "stupid" simply because of her inability to process things as easily as others can. In order to keep her self-esteem up, I let her know every single day that she is, indeed, very smart - because she is!

Your analogy to drowning in the deep end of a pool could not have been more wrong.
    Love lives forever <3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast