+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 7/13 Show Discussion**SPOILERS** Season Premiere

Some of the kids are 17.. they're legally adults once 18. I wonder how the policy goes for this camp if someone turns 18 while out there?
    I can't see how they would be able to keep the kid there an extra 6 months (councelor says they're not "changing"), or whatever..especially if the kid doesn't want to do it.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Some of the kids are 17.. they're legally adults once 18. I wonder how the policy goes for this camp if someone turns 18 while out there?
    I can't see how they would be able to keep the kid there an extra 6 months (councelor says they're not "changing"), or whatever..especially if the kid doesn't want to do it.
    the kids obviously cooperate. they are on camera so the tvcrew needs
    their ok I would assume. Also a simple act of violence or the refusal
    to eat would get them out of there too.
    Reporting...

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rab
    What is up with the stupid earth names? "Glacier"? "Mountain Wind"? I'd be laughing my butt off if I was stuck in that camp.

Good show though.
    I haven't seen this addressed in any of the other posts so I thought I'd take a crack at the answer.

My suspicion is that they keep their anonymity for security reasons. I would imagine that there are some kids who don't successfully make it through this program. If I were a counselor, my concern would be that these kids might be so vindictive that they might track me down with revenge on their minds.

Of course, that doesn't explain why the second set of "real" counselors (the ones with degrees in psychology and counseling, introduced halfway through the show), were identified in subtitles by their actual names. lol But anyway, this is just my own little half-baked theory.

I think this is a good show and it will help parents and kids watching, not just the kids at the camp
    I was shocked during the intro when the parents of one of the girls (sorry not sure which) was saying that they give her money all the time and they just know she's spending it on drugs and drinking. If they know this why in the world are they giving her money? some of the parents seem really clueless as to how their kids became this way.
    I'm not blaming the parents for everything, I'm a parent also so I'm not going to pretend it's easy to raise perfect kids but common sense would sure help some of these parents.
    "Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole" Roger Caras

I watched the original Brat Camp that was on one of the cable channels, in which a group of 6 or so British kids got put into a similiar camp. That Brat Camp was filmed in a real gritty documentary style and was much more gripping. Also the kids did not have backpacks, they were given tarps and had to learn to pack up all their gear and tie it up and they were carrying 75 pounds, hiking everyday. They had a series of tasks to accomplish to complete the course. Going solo, keeping a journal, learning how light a fire (by the way all future Survivor applicants pay attention) earn a knife which was a tool used to survive the wilderness and a badge of status. The parents also received conseling from the programs psycologists, partly to reinforce the results of the program when the kids came home and also to help the parents with their own parenting skills. I do hope that this show also shows if the parents are getting some conseling, cause lets face it both the parents and child need it.

Now for the kids, my initial impression is that they are a bunch of spoiled selfish irresponsible brats that are lucky that they have parents that love them enough to spend anywhere from $12,000 to $20,000 for this therapy. Although, I do understand that for purposes of this show the producers picked up the cost for the parents.

Which girl, was it that kept saying this was a concentration camp? This is a bit of a hot button for me because I had relatives that were in work camps in Siberia and I grew up listening to their stories and I even have a family photo of them there. This girl has it easy and I just wanted to shut her up because she does not know of what she speaks.

Jada, what a liar, I am enjoying her misery because she is experiencing a direct consequence of her actions. I wonder how long her peers will put up will her constant whinning.

Frank, in the words of Judge Joe Brown this kid is looking at a very short life and will be dead by the time he is 25 unless he turns around because garanteed there is someone out there bigger and meaner then him. Will he break down and see the light??

In the original show the producers did follow up on the kids about 2 or 3 months later to see how they all were doing. All the kids had turned around, had all had some set backs but all seemed more focused and had direction in their lives. One of the girls had applied and was accepted and had started training as a cadet in the local police force.

In one sense it is a sad commentary on our civilization that we over coddle our children and they grow up with out structure, responsiblity and the ability to behave and function as civilized adults and it is necessary to send then to these environments.

I wish that when I was in high school I had the opportunity to go to a wilderness camp, not because of being a problem child, but because it would have been a wonderful experience that would have given me alot of self confidence and self esteem which is vitally important at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by Karennz
    I haven't seen this addressed in any of the other posts so I thought I'd take a crack at the answer.

My suspicion is that they keep their anonymity for security reasons. I would imagine that there are some kids who don't successfully make it through this program. If I were a counselor, my concern would be that these kids might be so vindictive that they might track me down with revenge on their minds.

Of course, that doesn't explain why the second set of "real" counselors (the ones with degrees in psychology and counseling, introduced halfway through the show), were identified in subtitles by their actual names. lol But anyway, this is just my own little half-baked theory.
    TV Guide has some facts on Brat Camp in this week's issue, they said that the kids all get "earth" names during the show and believe it not they love that aspect of the program. Its almost like a badge of honor with them. So while we think it sounds nuts, in their reality it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Karennz

During college I worked at a camp as a Health Director... and any camper, counselor, director couldn't use their real name. Just a camp tradition...

The Rose household loved this show, and Mr. Rose doesn't like too many reality shows. Having backpacked for years, we know how satisfying it can be to get away from city life. Also, we found it fascinating to watch a system that combines minimal stimuli, hard work, few comforts, strict rules and psychology in changing these kids' lives. I have to admit, though, I got some evil enjoyment watching Jada's continual meltdowns.

I, too, think a class for the parents would be a great idea...they could definitely use some guidance also.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I gotta tell you, my 16 year old son's 'bad' behavior is lookin' mighty wonderful right about now!
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

I know what you mean wadahoot. My sons smart mouth doesn't seem so bad anymore.

+ Reply to Thread