+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 7/13 Show Discussion**SPOILERS** Season Premiere

Echoing MrDob's thoughts. Please keep the discussion focused on the show, and not each other. Thanks!
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

FORT Fanatic
    Sorry guys...didn't mean my comments to be so flamable.

I just wish the kids luck.

I agree with a almost everyones post. Its the kids and the parents. But I think I'm leaning more towards the parents fault. Like the kids that are doing drugs and drinking and having sex. Why are they allowed out of the house at night to go do these things? And given money? If one of my kids were getting so out of hand I would put a stop to it immediately. I told my husband last night as we were watching that they should have a school for the parents. While the kids are at camp they should have classes for the parents.
    I do feel sorry for Dereks parents. I think he's a kid with a legit medical problem and the parents are older and not capable of dealing with it. But I did get mad when they said "he" decided to stop his medicine. Why are they letting him decide. He obviously really needs them. And I'm one of those who thinks Ritilan and other ADD meds are to freely distributed. But its obvious that Derek needs them. It will be very interesting to see how the camp helps him. It will really be a big break through for kids with ADHD. Whoever said they wondered if Tom Cruise was watching Derek you made me laugh.

You know, CGN....a class for the parents would be a great idea! I have to imagine that after 40 days, they bring the parents in for at least some kind of "session" or whatever it is. Someone else mentioned this idea previously...not sure who.

I agree about Derek too. I think, however, that it was fine to let him decide to not take the meds, but they should have insisted he find a better outlet for his energy than to just turn into Beavis on espresso. Like I said earlier...a sport or something physical. The hiking is obviously taking its toll on him...in a good way.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    You know, CGN....a class for the parents would be a great idea! I have to imagine that after 40 days, they bring the parents in for at least some kind of "session" or whatever it is. Someone else mentioned this idea previously...not sure who.

I agree about Derek too. I think, however, that it was fine to let him decide to not take the meds, but they should have insisted he find a better outlet for his energy than to just turn into Beavis on espresso. Like I said earlier...a sport or something physical. The hiking is obviously taking its toll on him...in a good way.
    oh too much .. beavis on espresso , seriously though Derek really needs a way to channel all that energy.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar
    I watched this show and had some major problems. My own opinion on the parents who lied to their children-"Oh no-you didn't!". And these parents want their children to become upright citizens. I might not have liked what my kids said and how they said it, but they would have deserved to have the truth spoken even if they didn't like it. All in all, I hope the kids continue to grow. I am a parent of 3 young men who are still in the learning stages and I hope that one thing I taught was how important integrity is. It seems to me that these kids need someone to be in their corner, be it saying no or you're doing a good job or how do you think you could have said that differently or I love you even though I'm so angry at what you chose to do.

I like the fact that this show is not mean-spirited, as other "reality" shows are, and that this show doles out negative reinforcement for negative behaviors, which is the opposite philosophy behind typical "reality" shows.
    It also proves that you don't need bikinis and tropical beaches to make a compelling survival series. Watching punks make fire and hike and have to dig a latrine is actually interesting -- and without the counsellors raising their voices like a drill sargeant! Who'd'a thunk it?!
    It was also amusing to watch the spoiled brat/compulsive liar Jada be revealed as the soiled brat Phantom Duker.

FORT Fan
    I have worked with thousands of kids over the last 35 years. My experience is that wonderful parents often have disturbed children and some truly horrible parents end up with some excellent children. There are so many factors, but consider that at least two of them are adopted. How old were they when adopted? What horrific abuse/neglect might they have experienced as infants or toddlers or even pre-natally? Is there a genetic predisposition towards alcoholism, addiction, mental illness in the birth parent? I like this show, because it gives hope to parents struggling with children like this. Many of these kids are self-medicating with drugs and alcohol and need to learn to deal with their anger in a non-destructive way. I, too, am curious about Derek responds to this experience. Hopefully, he will choose to control his ADHD with both behavior changes and medication. ADHD kids don't like how the meds make them feel and they are embarassed to be taking it. (Yes, Tom, there is such a thing as a chemical imbalance and different brain patterns for truly ADHD kids). Most of these kids have had some interruption of "normal" family life. The counselors seem excellent, and I am anxious to see positive changes.

FORT Regular
    I too found myself really enjoying this show. I had really low expectations of it before I actually watched it. What I especially like about the show is that there is no voting off or anything like that. These kids need help and will ALL get help, not just one "winner". I went to the SageWalk website and checked it out. It indicates that during the entire time the kids are at the camp, that SageWalk has contact with the parents and that every family has counseling after the kids come home for six months after. They even offer them the chance to re-send the kid if bad behaviour creeps up again for up to 2 years after the original time spent at camp. Of course the fees were pretty steep! $22,000 + per kid.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie98642
    I too found myself really enjoying this show. I had really low expectations of it before I actually watched it. What I especially like about the show is that there is no voting off or anything like that. These kids need help and will ALL get help, not just one "winner". I went to the SageWalk website and checked it out. It indicates that during the entire time the kids are at the camp, that SageWalk has contact with the parents and that every family has counseling after the kids come home for six months after. They even offer them the chance to re-send the kid if bad behaviour creeps up again for up to 2 years after the original time spent at camp. Of course the fees were pretty steep! $22,000 + per kid.
    I like this show, had a feeling I would. I read about it before watching and it is more like a documentary. It shows that there are programs out there that can help a family in crisis with a child that needs more than an hour session with a psychologist every week.
    While the cost is steep, I wonder just how steep it really is. Do we hesitate to spend that amount on a new car? How about vacations? Some of these kids came from really nice houses which I'm sure are equipped with the latest in technology which can be very steep. Sometimes its sad how much we will spend on the external and not the internal. I'm glad these parents decided to spend it on the kids.

+ Reply to Thread