+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 7/13 Show Discussion**SPOILERS** Season Premiere

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar
    I'm thoroughly invested in this show. Looking forward to the next episode. I can see catching this on DVR just in case

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveIsTheMan
    Dont feel TOO sorry for some of these parents. They shouldn't have let their kids get this way to start with IMO.
    Are you serious? You must have no children, or wonderful "normal" children.

It's so easy to blame the parents. I'm not saying they are blameless, but you really shouldn't be so quick to judge until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

FORT Fanatic
    I'm getting to the age in life when some of my friends are having children...some are more natural at it than others.

I completely agree with Brodie. The problems these kids have is a direct result of their parents.

We'll see such a drastic change in these teenagers by the end of the show. Changes brought on by structure, instruction and disapline. But most importantly the ability of these counsellors to listen and communicate with these people. Keep in mind...strangers are solving the problems.

I was switching back and forth between Rockstar and this. I found it very interesting. There is so much potential in teenagers, most of the time they don't even know it...they're scared to fail so they don't even try. Some kids are never forced to test themselves. I've coached little guys football and it's amazing what a child can do with a bit of confidence, positive rienforcement and the occasional slap on the wrist when they step out of line (they're pretty young so it usually means laps of the field).

I hope the show points the finger at the parents rather than just labelling the kids as Brats. I thought I had a good sense from the snippets of the parents, the letters...the fact that they put their kids on TV of where the problem originated.

Best of luck to the entire group...as selfish, immature and unfocused as they seem.

(wow...did I get preachy....I must be getting older)

I came into the show with low expectations and I really enjoyed it.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Love the show.

I agree on SOME of the responsibility for these behaviors to be the fault/result of the parent's. Whether it be the way they live, act, what they consume, the friends they have..whatever, the parents HAVE to take an active roll in the 'recovery,' and admit that perhaps they could have done better as well.

Nice that they had a Turkey dinner after all.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I really enjoyed last nights premiere episode. I like the drama and the emotion of the show.

I don't know that I can necessarily lay all the blame on the parents of these kids. Sure, parents make mistakes, but I don't feel comfortable with a blanket statement of "The parents must be bad parents". If it is exclusively the parents fault, what about Nick's parents? Nick has a twin brother that seems to be a stand up kid, does well in school, sports, etc. But Nick has dyslexia, and is mad at his family and the world because he feels stupid. What about Lauren whose father died when she was young? Some kids have a lot of trouble dealing with that emotion, and act out because of it. What about Lexie, who was molested by a supposed friend of the family? How could the parents have prevented that, beyond not allowing her any social interaction with anyone? Derek's parents look like they are over 60. Raising a child in a completely different era than they remember.

I just think there is more to blame than bad parenting, or bad kids. There are unique circumstances for everyone, and every person deals with situations differently. I'm looking forward to some good cathartic life-changing drama here.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    I just think there is more to blame than bad parenting, or bad kids. There are unique circumstances for everyone, and every person deals with situations differently. I'm looking forward to some good cathartic life-changing drama here.
    Well said.

I know personally families with hard-to-manage kids. They have been trying for *years* to help these kids, to no avail. They may not be perfect, but I have a hard time blaming them for these kids behaviors.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    No, it's not always the parent's fault.. but in some cases, the bad characteristics and behaviors are a direct result of the parent(s).

I would love to see a more indepth episode (or two) into these kid's parents.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I didn't know we had so many parenting experts on the board.
    It is very wrong to put all the blame on the parents, because the kids are bad. You have to know the family and how they are raising their kids.
    You need to walk a mile in their shoes before you judge them. Like someone else said already.
    I hope the kids and the parents are able to make something good out of this and that things get better for them all.
    JMO

Let's take it easy in here, folks.

I'm sure that if any of these parents truly thought and knew they were terrible parents and the root cause of their children's issues, they would never have allowed themselves to be filmed. Likewise, if they didn't love their kids and want to see them grow as they grow up, and thought SageWalk could help, they wouldn't have put their kids at SageWalk, and allow this show to be filmed.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread