+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Isaiah

Isaiah arrested

I heard about this on the radio this morning. Isaiah and a friend apparently painted racist graffiti outside a preschool teachers home. Can't say it surprizes me too much given the attitude Isaiah displayed on parts of last nights episode. IMHO Isaiah needs a longer term intervention. 40-60 days isn't going to cut it for this kind of kid. This opinion springs from my own experience with my own son. He needed a year or so to break old habits and terminate harmful relationships. I hope Isaiah gets a chance to do better.

The story is in today's Modesto Bee. I can't post the link since I'm new here but the story is there for anyone who wants to look!

Here is the article.
    http://www.modbee.com/local/story/11...11790364c.html

Reality is, Atwater student not reformed by 'Brat Camp'
    17-year-old confesses to slurs on preschool teacher's home

By ADAM ASHTON
    MERCED SUN-STAR

Last Updated: August 4, 2005, 06:13:29 AM PDT

WINTON — The 17-year-old boy who allegedly spray-painted racist slurs in front of a black woman's home last week is one of nine teenagers who participated in a reality TV program to learn better manners.
    Isaiah Alarcon has a national audience once a week on ABC's "Brat Camp," which documents his progress through a 50-day Oregon wilderness camp with a focus on disciplining troubled teens.

Now back from the camp, the Atwater High School student reportedly admitted to Merced County Sheriff's Department deputies that he used spray paint to scrawl "spook" and "N---ers live here" in front of preschool teacher Angelic Royal's home on Palomino Drive early Friday morning.

Alarcon and his friend Christopher Farenelli, 18, wrote the slurs and drew a swastika in the street after a drunken night of partying in Ceres, authorities said.

The teens told sheriff's deputies that they did not mean any harm with the graffiti, and Royal said Alarcon tried to clean up the slurs before he was taken into custody Saturday.

Alarcon spent the weekend in Juvenile Hall and was charged with damaging property and interference of civil rights, Sheriff Mark Pazin said.

He said the situation was ironic, but with some serious consequences for Alarcon.

"Reality TV has taken the place of long-term rehabilitation," Pazin said. "These kids had some real serious issues that needed to be dealt with in a long-term process, not a multiweek TV program for entertainment."

Alarcon's mother, Virginia, declined to allow her son to comment Wednesday. She told the Sun-Star last week that his behavior had improved since he returned from "Brat Camp."

The TV show's Web site describes him as an "angry punk rocker who smokes, drinks and has an obsession with fire." The show airs Wednesday at 8 p.m.

"Brat Camp" takes place at SageWalk, a wilderness school at which teens can learn anger management and educational skills. It was filmed between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Alarcon escaped from the camp in one of the episodes, according to an ABC press release.

Farenelli was arrested Saturday after he turned himself into the Sheriff's Department. He faces charges of suspicion of a vandalism and criminal conspiracy charge. He was released after posting $5,200 bail.

Both young men might face increased penalties if they are charged with committing a hate crime. The district attorney's office has not decided what charges it will pursue in their prosecution, Chief Deputy District Attorney Larry Morse II said Tuesday.

Royal, 37, discovered the graf-fiti when she looked out her window early Friday. She said she brought Alarcon water when she saw him scrubbing the graffiti Saturday morning.

"I think maybe he got caught up in the moment, and what a price to pay," she said.

FORT Regular
    That's really a shame, my sister said she had seen him on The Early Show a week or two after the show (Brat Camp) actually started, with Lexie, I believe, and they had been talking about how he had shown the most improvement, etc.

Call me silly, but I am going into social work and plan to have a ranch a la Neon Rider, I think that might be the best sort of situation for someone like Isaiah, and like they were saying on the show last night -- if he goes through all this intervention over sixty days or whatnot, and then goes home and the situation there is exactly the same, the youth will revert to the same behaviour -- that's what they were mentioning re Heather and boarding school.

This is so sad.

That is a shame. It does seem he's shown a little morose for his actions. I think the teacher handled it with a lot of class and really put it into perspective. "I think maybe he got caught up in the moment, and what a price to pay." I think thats what happend too. Sagewalk probably didn't stop him from wanting to do things. Like being destructive and drinking. But it has probably given him a conscious.

I wonder if being on the show has directed his actions. I can see him getting ragged by his friends for being on the show and then he has to prove he's still a tough guy. "Hey guys just because I cried and shared my feelings on national tv doesn't mean I'm not still cool. Watch as I get drunk and then graffhiti this poor innocent victims house."

They just said on our local news that he spray painted a swatstika (sp?) on the sidewalk in front of someone's house.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Lock him up
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

i dont tolerate racisim and now I have absolute no respect from Isaiah

From CNN Monday, August 8, 2005; Posted: 11:51 a.m. EDT (15:51 GMT)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/08/08/br....ap/index.html

Brat Camp' teen charged in racial graffiti case

WINTON, California (AP) -- A 17-year-old featured in the "Brat Camp" reality TV series was charged for allegedly spray-painting racial slurs in front of a home.

Isaiah Alarcon of Winton is one of nine teenagers featured on the ABC program, which documents their progress through a 50-day Oregon wilderness school known for its success at teaching children better behavior.

Alarcon told sheriff's deputies on July 29 that he used spray paint to scrawl the slurs on the street outside a black preschool teacher's home, said Merced County Sheriff Mark Pazin.

The teen was held in a juvenile facility for two days and charged with interfering with the exercise of civil rights and damaging property, Pazin said.

A hearing is planned Tuesday to determine if he will be tried as an adult.

"These kids had some real serious issues that needed to be dealt with in a long-term process, not a multiweek TV program for entertainment," Pazin said.

The Web site for the TV show describes Alarcon as an "angry punk rocker who smokes, drinks and has an obsession with fire." It said his mother sent him to Oregon's SageWalk camp to "learn how to deal with his anger issues."

ABC declined to comment, and producers did not return repeated phone messages.

A teenage friend of Alarcon also was detained and faces the same charges, plus a charge of conspiracy, Pazin said.

Pazin said both told deputies they didn't mean to cause any harm with the graffiti. If convicted, each could face up to two years in jail and a $15,000 fine.

They should get whatever maximum they can get. punk.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Newbie

Brat camp

I have read these articles and i think that he should be droped of all charges or mabe just get some community hours. It says that he turned himself in and ment no harm and even before he was arrested he was trying o clean the mess up the lady even brought him a bucket of water she said so i dont see this as a hate crime just didnt think b4 he acted but who doesnt do that once and awhile….however jada is a different story....and no iam not racist i have many from from different race

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast