+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Derek

Quote Originally Posted by wadahoot
    What are the parent thinking saying that Derek wanted to go off of his meds so that he can 'grow'?? He was diagnosed at 5, so I'm wondering when he 'chose' to discontinue his medication. Why in the world would they let him destroy the family and potentially himself, by letting a child decide what is right for him??
    I'm with you - I haven't watched the show...but....I have a son who is ADD. He lives with his dad - decided he didn't want to take his meds anymore - has struggled all the way through high school...and did not graduate. He has been fired from 2 jobs and quit the other 2. I suggest they get him back on his meds as soon as possible. They may be very sorry later.

FORT Regular
    But if the meds are stunting his growth, I can see why he doesn't want to take them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maikij
    But if the meds are stunting his growth, I can see why he doesn't want to take them.
    i totally agree.. i pitty this guy

I think he showed a lot of growth on the 8/3 episode. I was so proud of him when he said something like "I deserve to be here. I brought this on myself."
    I really like the way the counslors treat him. Telling him he can do things and quit using ADHD as a cop out. I'm really excited to see how he does at the end of the show. I really hope they show us an update on these kids.

FORT Newbie
    I am glad he is there, he is off his meds because once you hit puberty you grow and if this is stopping that he wont be able to, and yes Alcina he hasn't been hyper i think he was hyper at home from the food, he probably ate alot of sugar and like everyone too much of a good thing can be bad, so he became hyper, but at camp they dont eat sugary food so he is less hyper.. and they were all exited on thanksgiving! I dont have ADD or ADHD but if i didi wold probably be there with him because a life strung out on medication and pills is no fun, he wants to be free and independant like all teenagers, and how are you independant when a pill has to be taken to just sit down and relax... He has made so much progress and i hope he has a successful future! and i am sorry about your son who_me- but what would your son look like or be like if he still had the maturity of a 12 year old?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12