+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brat Camp (ABC)

Brat Camp (ABC)

What would you do with a teen who curses at you, breaks the law in your house and doesn't listen to anything you say? That's the dilemma facing nine families dealing with out-of-control teenagers - whose ages range from 14-17 -- and with issues from ADHD to drugs, promiscuity and fights, in the new reality series Brat Camp. The nine families make a tough choice and send their kids to SageWalk, The Wilderness School, in the wilds of Oregon for a period of more than fifty days, in the desperate hope that, once it's over, they'll get back the children they once knew.

A special two-hour premiere of Brat Camp airs on WEDNESDAY, JULY 13 (8:00-10:00 p.m., ET). Its regular time slot will be Wednesdays from 9:00-10:00 p.m., ET.

In the premiere, we meet the kids as they arrive at SageWalk, learn about their issues and see their defiance in action, as they're confronted for the first time with the harsh realities of camp life. Forced to hike 10 miles with 40-lb. backpacks, the kids celebrate Thanksgiving in the wilderness without family, and with the ultimate question being whether they'll make it home for Christmas.

Brat Camp is from Shapiro/Grodner Productions, with Arnold Shapiro and Allison Grodner serving as executive producers, and John Platt as co-executive producer. Brat Camp is based on the award-winning U.K. series from Twenty Twenty Productions, with Peter Casely-Hayford, Jamie Isaacs, Claudia Milne and Mark Rowland serving as executive producers.

These programs carry a TV-PG,D,L parental guideline.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/bratcamp/index.html

I watched the UK version of Brat Camp that they televised here in the US a couple of months ago, it was riveting. I hope this version is as gritty. If nothing else seeing soiled brats forced to work and have temper tantrums is always amusing.

The 'brat' Pack

June 14, 2005 -- THE kids are not alright - but they might get better if a stint at "Brat Camp" works out for them.

On the new ABC reality show (starting July 13), nine troubled teens are sent away to live in a rugged Oregon wilderness camp in a last-ditch effort by their families to help curb self-destructive habits such as drug use, dangerous sex and violent behavior.

A group of instructors, including therapists, wilderness guides and medics, oversee the teens who spend more than 50 days away from home in what their families hope will be a life-changing experience.

The field instructors, some of them former troubled teens themselves, work with the kids and try to help them come to terms with their problems and get their lives back on track.

Once at the camp, the teens are forced to put their attitudes aside in order to deal with 10-mile hikes and spending Thanksgiving in the wilderness away from their families.

Frank, 15
    Lives with his uncle, a probation officer, after getting booted from school.

Derek, 14
    Was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and became self-destructive. Curses out his mother.

Shawn, 17
    Admits to stealing money from his mom to pay for his drug habit.

Isaiah, 17
    Is a defiant, bitter, angry punk rocker who smokes, drinks and has an obsession with fire.

Nick, 14
    Is a dyslexic teen who constantly fights with his family and yells obscenities at his parents - even pulled a knife on his twin brother.

Lauren, 17
    Was a straight-A student until her father died when she was 11. Since then, admits to smoking pot every day and doing whatever it takes to score drugs.

Heather, 16
    Is a former athlete who started hanging out with the wrong crowd, running away from home and doing drugs.

Lexie, 17
    Was molested at age 11 by someone she trusted and has since suffered from depression, becoming verbally abusive and failing in school.

Jada, 15
    Has dropped out or been booted from 11 schools. The aspiring singer and compulsive liar claims she doesn't need to be educated because she plans on being a star. ABC's Boot camp for kids includes (from left): Nick, Frank, Derek, Shawn, Isaiah, Heather, Lexie, Jada, and Lauren.
    http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/48354.htm

Kicked out of the hive dzzyedge's Avatar
    I plan to watch this. I had heard it was originally a UK show, so if they don't try to *americanise* it....

Maybe I have just spent to much time working with troubled teensÖ.but Camps like this donít help a whole lot. The problem is that kids donít have problems in a vacuum. They need a companion parent camp too.

Iíll bet good money that the majority of these kids have parents who have
    A) ignored them for years
    B) ignored behaviors for years
    C) spent most of their time consumed with their careers
    D) spent most of their time in a chemically induced haze
    E) used their kid(s) as a punching bag
    F) used their kid(s) for sex

I would be more interested in this if the parents went through the same thing as their kids.

Quote Originally Posted by IronDragon
    Maybe I have just spent to much time working with troubled teensÖ.but Camps like this donít help a whole lot. The problem is that kids donít have problems in a vacuum. They need a companion parent camp too.

Iíll bet good money that the majority of these kids have parents who have
    A) ignored them for years
    B) ignored behaviors for years
    C) spent most of their time consumed with their careers
    D) spent most of their time in a chemically induced haze
    E) used their kid(s) as a punching bag
    F) used their kid(s) for sex

I would be more interested in this if the parents went through the same thing as their kids.
    I agree, parents are afraid to parent anymore
    they rarely take responsibility when their kids start acting out.
    just watch those nanny shows, it's always the parents that created the problem. Until the parents change nothing will change for the kids. If they get better at camp then come home to the same situations what's to keep most of them from slipping back into their usual behavior.
    "Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole" Roger Caras

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Just watching the previews and reading the bios here makes me realize how truly blessed I am with my 4 kids. This sounds like a gutwrencher of a program.
    ~*~ Maji *~

Quote Originally Posted by Fantine
    ...just watch those nanny shows, it's always the parents that created the problem.
    The first time I watched "Nanny 911" the parents said it was time for desert and literally poured a enormous bowl of candy on the floor and let the kids have whatever they wanted. An hour later the kids were climbing the walls/jumping off furniture/not listening to a word their mom said and the mom was yelling/screaming and said something like "I just don't know why the act like this"!? Sheez, get a clue!

After reading these bios, I really hope this camp can teach them to deal with their problems on a long term basis. Many of them could be on their own in a few years. Assuming that poor parenting is an issue, maybe the camp can help them succeed in spite of that!

FORT Fanatic
    I find it interesting that this is the only reality show I've seen where ALL of the participants seem to be Caucasian. (In great contrast to The Scholar.)

I'm wondering if the network didn't want to be accused of reinforcing negative stereotypes. It can't be that hard to find dysfunctional people of color: Jerry Springer manages to cover all the bases quite well. <G>

I think there are good kids that come out of crappy homes and bad kids that come out of good homes.
    While I do think you can largely trace many problems back to bad parenting there is also a point at which some kids (generally in their mid teens) just rail against everything, get in with the wrong crowd etc. and that can take a good kid down just as surely has being raised with poor values and a lack of suitable and effective parental or adult guidance.

I agree that there will likely be little long term benefit unless the parenst are willing to continue with the discipline the children will have learned at the camp.

I hope that some good will come of the show for the participants and their families.
    They're probably all good kids deep down and just need a good guiding hand to set them on the right path.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast