+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gay/Straight Mix - Twists and Turns

FORT Newbie

Gay/Straight Mix - Twists and Turns

I am wondering if the producers had a number of scenarios up their sleeves. What if James had reduced the number to three and ALL three had been straight? Was there any contingency plan of what to do at that moment?

Of course if two of his final three were straight, it would have taken all the motivation out of it for James - it would then have been less finding a friend than rescuing himself from a self-derogatory position. The pressure would have been awful and the final selection more one of relief than of joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arneblaze
    I am wondering if the producers had a number of scenarios up their sleeves. What if James had reduced the number to three and ALL three had been straight? Was there any contingency plan of what to do at that moment?

Of course if two of his final three were straight, it would have taken all the motivation out of it for James - it would then have been less finding a friend than rescuing himself from a self-derogatory position. The pressure would have been awful and the final selection more one of relief than of joy.
    (part 1 reply) I think that would shatter the "gay" aspect of the show.

(part 2 reply) I am sure the producers had several diabolical scenarios for the show. && although I am not thrilled by the twist, I would think it would have been boring without 'something'

FORT Regular
    Wouldn't the grouping selection ensure that they wouldn't end up with the last 3 all being straight?

indeed. otherwise the entire concept of the show would change.

Quote Originally Posted by flotsette
    Wouldn't the grouping selection ensure that they wouldn't end up with the last 3 all being straight?

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by dcaft
    indeed. otherwise the entire concept of the show would change.

I was always bad at math. What is the grouping scenario that would guarantee he'd have at least one straight man among the three sem-finalists?

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Arneblaze

If you look at the way that the selection groups have been done, you can see that after that first selection (when James picked without any groupings), they manipulated the groupings specifically to avoid such an extreme outcome.

By the time there were only 6 mates left, they grouped the two straight guys together (Sean and Franklin), to ensure that there would be only one straight guy in the end three.

There have been speculation as to how much the producers knew about James preferences prior to each selection time (at the end of the show, there is a notice that says James has discussed w/ producers prior to the selection or something like that). Did they know exactly who he wanted to get rid of ? did they know who he really wanted to keep? or a mix of both? given that info, they created the groupings -- so you can pretty much assume that they were keeping their eye on the ratios to make sure there was a 2-4 ratio by the 4th ep.

Quote Originally Posted by flotsette
    Definately; They monitored how the guys widdled off and then grouped accordingly and looking back over the photos at the website you saw some of the "all straight"/"all gay" groupings. In round 2, they put 3 groups of 4 together; one group was all gay, one all straight, and one 50/50 after the first round elimination bring the boys to 6 gay/6 straight. I think one group was Jim, Franklin, Sean and Dan (all straight) and another was Matt, Brian, Marc and Darren (all gay). The other split group was Wes & Robb (gay) and Paul and Michael (straight). This would always ensure a mix at the end. I honestly think the show definately wanted two gay guys at the end with only one straight mate to push the twist and grouped accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by jcboltfan
    Definately; They monitored how the guys widdled off and then grouped accordingly and looking back over the photos at the website you saw some of the "all straight"/"all gay" groupings. In round 2, they put 3 groups of 4 together; one group was all gay, one all straight, and one 50/50 after the first round elimination bring the boys to 6 gay/6 straight. I think one group was Jim, Franklin, Sean and Dan (all straight) and another was Matt, Brian, Marc and Darren (all gay). The other split group was Wes & Robb (gay) and Paul and Michael (straight). This would always ensure a mix at the end. I honestly think the show definately wanted two gay guys at the end with only one straight mate to push the twist and grouped accordingly.

+ Reply to Thread