+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the Sum and Mix

FORT Fan

the Sum and Mix

Given that this show started out with the simple idea of a gay dating show with a twist, I just realized just how many things actually did happen that the producers could never have planned for! I don't watch many reality shows, but I think that for a first-time thing, it really produced a lot of angles and sub-storylines like:

Matt: who was indeed gay, and there is mention in the threads that he was also a contender for the leading man spot -- turns out that he's not interested in James at all and says it to him directly.

Dan: who everyone seems to have gone gaga over, James was turned off by his over-the-top flirty antics, was actually straight

Michael: who in a slip of the tongue had to quickly concoct the bisexual defense to cover for his straight-ness. And how the gay men reacted to his bi-sexual coming out.

Wes: who many were suspicious of b/c he was 'too on' and 'too gay', turns out to be gay, and wins the thing

Andra: her reaction to the twist, and her resolution to try and keep her grace, and her final decision to sacrifice her image and relationship to the mates by going after them one last time.

Brian: who makes a connection with Dan, misses him, has lingering feelings about him after his departure, finds out that Dan was straight.

Jason: who gets kicked out of the military for breaking the 'don't ask don't tell' rule and making headlines

Darren: who in the end was suspected by James/Andra of being straight, turns out to be gay, and is really hurt and confused that his feelings for James, the kiss, and his desire for a serious relationship was not reciprocated by the leading man.

In the end, James actually didn't have a lot of choices. Weed out the straight guys and you get 8 gay mates. Take away Matt who wasn't interested, and the three that went in the first two days (so obviously no spark), Chris, Marc, and Jason, and you get four -- only Wes, Brian, Robb, and Darren.

any other things that occured to you?

FORT Newbie
    There is indeed a lot more to the stories than what we saw and I for one would like some follow-ups. But the ones I really want to hear about are Brian and Jason. Simply because I really felt sorry for Brian when he thought Dan was going to be HIS Mr. Right. I read that he was hurt by that. They were definitely flirting with each other, but that's was then I guess. Jason because he could be a the break of overturning the archaic military policies. I also read that he was damn good at his job.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Poot
    There is indeed a lot more to the stories than what we saw and I for one would like some follow-ups. But the ones I really want to hear about are Brian and Jason. Simply because I really felt sorry for Brian when he thought Dan was going to be HIS Mr. Right. I read that he was hurt by that. They were definitely flirting with each other, but that's was then I guess. Jason because he could be a the break of overturning the archaic military policies. I also read that he was damn good at his job.

That's too bad that people have to lose their jobs for telling the truth. I guess he knew it going in, so it wasn't a shocker. If you're going to get kicked out of the army for 'telling', then it might as well be on national tv where at least it comes out as newsworthy!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by foody
    In the end, James actually didn't have a lot of choices. Weed out the straight guys and you get 8 gay mates. Take away Matt who wasn't interested, and the three that went in the first two days (so obviously no spark), Chris, Marc, and Jason, and you get four -- only Wes, Brian, Robb, and Darren.

any other things that occured to you? [/COLOR]
    I am most surprised about the Wes Brian outcome of the show. And this isn't meant to be a slam at Wes who from everything I can tell is a great person and I hope that it works out as James and he would want.

However in my watching and re-watching of James' voiceovers from Episode 1 right up to and including his voiceover for Brian which he gives right after telling him he wasn't chosen--it is Brian not Wes who matches the criteria of what James says he was looking for/wants going into the show.

Maybe their is editing that I am not seeing that would point me in a different direction but that is my observation. And as such was the most surprising outcome to me.

But as has been indicated in other posts here the final 3 dates should have given me a big clue. Actually what needs to be done is for Bravo to release a DVD with outtakes, cast interviews etc on it something similar to what Showtime does with Queer as Folk.

Seth

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by sethy11
    I am most surprised about the Wes Brian outcome of the show. And this isn't meant to be a slam at Wes who from everything I can tell is a great person and I hope that it works out as James and he would want.

However in my watching and re-watching of James' voiceovers from Episode 1 right up to and including his voiceover for Brian which he gives right after telling him he wasn't chosen--it is Brian not Wes who matches the criteria of what James says he was looking for/wants going into the show.

Maybe their is editing that I am not seeing that would point me in a different direction but that is my observation. And as such was the most surprising outcome to me.

But as has been indicated in other posts here the final 3 dates should have given me a big clue. Actually what needs to be done is for Bravo to release a DVD with outtakes, cast interviews etc on it something similar to what Showtime does with Queer as Folk.

Seth
    hi Seth! that's a great point. I guess we get so caught up in the flow of the events that we forget what the initial thought processes were. It just goes to show that when it comes to love/dating, people don't always follow what they first desire on paper -- someone can have all the criteria that you believe are realistic and matched to your checklist, but that all goes out the window if you come across someone with the power to change the way you both see yourself and see potential relationships.

Andra said in the final that "Brian is the wildcard". In a way, Wes should have been... Franklin was obviously the physical ideal of James's fantasies; Brian had the personality resume; and Wes -- he was the one who didn't really fit either!

I agree, good point sethy11. If I watch the reairing of the shows, it will be with more of a critical eye keeping what you and others have mentioned.

Sethy 11/Seth.

So who were the two who hooked up on the show? James hints at it in the interview with gay.com even though such things were forbidden under contract.

Darren also hinted at it in the one promo bit that never actually appeared in an actual episode, just as a show teaser, where he said something like if he said something there would be two people who wouldn't be there right now.

Anyone know if he was talking about the same pair?

Ste
    FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ilean4clay
    So who were the two who hooked up on the show? James hints at it in the interview with gay.com even though such things were forbidden under contract.

Darren also hinted at it in the one promo bit that never actually appeared in an actual episode, just as a show teaser, where he said something like if he said something there would be two people who wouldn't be there right now.

Anyone know if he was talking about the same pair?
    I assumed (always dangerous) that they were talking of the connection between Dan and Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste
    I assumed (always dangerous) that they were talking of the connection between Dan and Brian.
    Same here...

+ Reply to Thread