+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul is "straight"?

Paul is "straight"?

Does anyone else wonder if Paul is telling the truth (or knows the truth) about his sexual orientation. I watched the final episode for the 2nd time and I noticed an excerpt of the exit interview with Paul.

Paul said, "I don't think anyone has any idea that I'm straight. I wouldn't believe it if any guy had never told me that he had never wondered if he was gay. But I would say that the thought has crossed my mind, and I have been pretty sure of myself then and there."

I'm gay, but I know many straight male friends who have NEVER wondered if he was gay. That fact that Paul was wondering makes me wonder if Paul has a reason to wonder. (You can quote me on that!)

I've met a few sexaully ambiguous men who have "decided" they are straight but I have reason to believe that their decision was motivated by social pressure, and not by sexual orientation. Frankly, I don't think anyone just "decides" their sexual orientation, unless they truly fall in that nebulous bi-sexual middle.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by MT SAV

... and the Gaydar says: "GAY" !!!

(I agree with you !!)

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by MT SAV
    Does anyone else wonder if Paul is telling the truth (or knows the truth) about his sexual orientation. I watched the final episode for the 2nd time and I noticed an excerpt of the exit interview with Paul.

Paul said, "I don't think anyone has any idea that I'm straight. I wouldn't believe it if any guy had never told me that he had never wondered if he was gay. But I would say that the thought has crossed my mind, and I have been pretty sure of myself then and there."

I'm gay, but I know many straight male friends who have NEVER wondered if he was gay. That fact that Paul was wondering makes me wonder if Paul has a reason to wonder. (You can quote me on that!)

I've met a few sexaully ambiguous men who have "decided" they are straight but I have reason to believe that their decision was motivated by social pressure, and not by sexual orientation. Frankly, I don't think anyone just "decides" their sexual orientation, unless they truly fall in that nebulous bi-sexual middle.

I actually disagree. I think that inherently people question many things about themselves. No one is SO sure of themselves in every way, and sexuality is one of these things. Even if your straight friends say they never wondered, I think perhaps in a moment, a glimpse, something flashes, watching a movie, being with a gay friend, seeing a naked male body, etc., and it might occur to them that there is this unknown territory of homosexuality. Even if they never thought that they were gay, I'm sure somewhere in time there was a moment that they let their minds flash over the concept -- and if they are indeed straight, to dismiss it comfortably.

Most straight guys wouldn't admit they even for a millisecond CONSIDER it, turn it around in their heads as a concept they could be part of, because of exactly your reaction to Paul's statement....oh, he MUST be gay! We really shouldn't jump to conclusions just because he was open and self-aware enough to consider the concept, and brave enough to admit it.

I've asked ten straight male friends of all religions and multi-racial backgrounds, and they all said that there was a moment that they did think about it.

Rab
    Lol this is like one of the Simpsons episodes where Homer lives temporarily with 2 gay guys and wonder his sexuality. The after effect of living with a few gay guys apparently has Paul wondering what's it like to get laid by another man.

Rab...hey, is it ok if I use that pic you made for my avatar?

.: Estella and Bob found love on The Bachelor! :.
    .: Ryan O. will mount an upset on Survivor: Pearl Islands :.
    .: Brian H. did not find love on Boy Meets Boy :.
    .: Dawn Marie did not win 1 million dollars on The Family :.
    .: Kelly and Jon did NOT win TAR :.
    .: Congrats to Reichen and Chip! :.
    .: Rocco DiSpirito will be fired from Rocco's :.

FORT Newbie
    Paul was actually my only dead-for-sure straight pick during the whole run. Cute as a button, amazing eyes...but the expression in those eyes always seemed to me a deer-in-the-headlights 'what am I _doing_ here??' sort of thing.

FORT Newbie
    I agree with foody! I don't think there's such a thing as gaydar. People just draw from alike perceptions on how gay men act or the way they talk and then proclaim it to be some kind of ability. Granted probably 55% of the time judging people that way yeilds correct results. But there's another percentage, say 35, who you wouldn't be able to correctly depict as straight or gay at all. The other 10 percent I will say are eroneous accusations caused by those who will admit to some sexual fantasies but identify as just heterosexual or just homosexual -- which is where Paul fits. Sorry if it sounds all dramatic, but I live and breathe statistics. So that's just the way I go about figuring people out, not judging them.
    Phlex I think you're right about Paul also.

Rab
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddick_Rulez
    Rab...hey, is it ok if I use that pic you made for my avatar?
    Of course it's okay I don't make stuff and not give it away lol.

Screw Michael he should've taken Paul that night. Just look at that adorable face.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Poot
    I agree with foody! I don't think there's such a thing as gaydar. People just draw from alike perceptions on how gay men act or the way they talk and then proclaim it to be some kind of ability. Granted probably 55% of the time judging people that way yeilds correct results. But there's another percentage, say 35, who you wouldn't be able to correctly depict as straight or gay at all. The other 10 percent I will say are eroneous accusations caused by those who will admit to some sexual fantasies but identify as just heterosexual or just homosexual -- which is where Paul fits. Sorry if it sounds all dramatic, but I live and breathe statistics. So that's just the way I go about figuring people out, not judging them.
    Phlex I think you're right about Paul also.

Hi Poot! It's all so confusing really. If people would just not take things at face value, we wouldn't have so much fear and confusion. I admit, the concept of 'gaydar' is significant in a culture where men have to hide or contain their comments from the straight world. Humans give off signals, just naturally, whether they are pheromones or inadvertent hand gestures.

I do wonder though that there is still a very harsh line that divides the cocept of gay or straight in men. In women, a gal could be straight, but have had sexual experiences with women (during college, or whatever). It's considered 'open' and 'sexually adventurous'. A straight guy does that, and it becomes this whole issue of gay/straight. I was also interested in hearing the gay mates' reaction to Michael's bisexual (albeit false) coming-out.... "what kind of gay man are you?"

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by foody
    Hi Poot! It's all so confusing really. If people would just not take things at face value, we wouldn't have so much fear and confusion. I admit, the concept of 'gaydar' is significant in a culture where men have to hide or contain their comments from the straight world. Humans give off signals, just naturally, whether they are pheromones or inadvertent hand gestures.

I do wonder though that there is still a very harsh line that divides the cocept of gay or straight in men. In women, a gal could be straight, but have had sexual experiences with women (during college, or whatever). It's considered 'open' and 'sexually adventurous'. A straight guy does that, and it becomes this whole issue of gay/straight. I was also interested in hearing the gay mates' reaction to Michael's bisexual (albeit false) coming-out.... "what kind of gay man are you?"

Hey foody! Sorry I missed you earlier. And you hit the nail right on the head with "just not take things at face value". This is exactly the way I think. Loved that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast