+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last Episode...Disappointed?

FORT Newbie

Last Episode...Disappointed?

First off, I am happy for James & Wes, but something about the final episode didn't seem "right".

1. Where was our host, Dani, who seemed to annoy so many? I liked her...she seemed to me obviously uncomfortable breaking the twist to James and was quick to point out that the other two mates really liked him. Also, she didn't write the twist and shouldn't be blamed for breaking the bad news to James.

2. Why wasn't Andra there with James at the very end? It seemed strange to me that she was there at the final selection to congratulate James and Wes.

3. Was Franklin outed in that heated argument with Andra before the final selection was made? I felt that James knew before hand that Franklin was the straight guy before he made his selection.

4. And what about Brian, who fell for Dan who is straight? We were all worried about James getting hurt over choosing a straight guy...and it turned out it happened to Brian instead.

5. Do you think that there might be a follow-up? It would be interesting to find out if they're together, though Wes pointed out that he lives in San Diego and James in Los Angeles, which kind of puts a damper on him being chosen as James' final selection.

For me, I feel that the show accomplished something very important. It showed that gays guys are regular people. Not being active in the gay community, my perception was very much limited to what I saw on tv like Queer as Folk. I didn't identify in any way with the lifestyle (sex, drugs, etc.) being portrayed on tv. For me, Boy meets Boy was almost a "relief" to watch. It had a lot of good role models, like James, Brian, Wes and the others. I am actually kind of proud of having them represent the gay community. It definately made me feel better about myself.

Anyway, I'll miss the show!

Quote Originally Posted by BMBFan835
    First off, I am happy for James & Wes, but something about the final episode didn't seem "right".

1. Where was our host, Dani, who seemed to annoy so many? I liked her...she seemed to me obviously uncomfortable breaking the twist to James and was quick to point out that the other two mates really liked him. Also, she didn't write the twist and shouldn't be blamed for breaking the bad news to James.

2. Why wasn't Andra there with James at the very end? It seemed strange to me that she was there at the final selection to congratulate James and Wes.

3. Was Franklin outed in that heated argument with Andra before the final selection was made? I felt that James knew before hand that Franklin was the straight guy before he made his selection.

4. And what about Brian, who fell for Dan who is straight? We were all worried about James getting hurt over choosing a straight guy...and it turned out it happened to Brian instead.

5. Do you think that there might be a follow-up? It would be interesting to find out if they're together, though Wes pointed out that he lives in San Diego and James in Los Angeles, which kind of puts a damper on him being chosen as James' final selection.

For me, I feel that the show accomplished something very important. It showed that gays guys are regular people. Not being active in the gay community, my perception was very much limited to what I saw on tv like Queer as Folk. I didn't identify in any way with the lifestyle (sex, drugs, etc.) being portrayed on tv. For me, Boy meets Boy was almost a "relief" to watch. It had a lot of good role models, like James, Brian, Wes and the others. I am actually kind of proud of having them represent the gay community. It definately made me feel better about myself.

Anyway, I'll miss the show!
    You just listed all of my exact thoughts last night as I was waiting for some kind of follow-up or reunion.. I need closure! I'm really happy for Wes and James, they make an adorable couple. I noticed Dani was missing but I didn't really care, although I agree that this whole thing can't be blamed on her. I was more interested in when we will here from Andra, why didn't she come running out to congratulate James and Wes? *sigh*

All in all I really enjoyed the show. Despite the twist. I think I would have watched even without it, as my favorite parts of the show were when the mates were just having fun with each other (especially in last nights show).

I will miss this show!

FORT Fan

more loose ends and highlights

I missed the ep last night so had to tape it; then woke up this morning and watched while I ate breakfast (who needs that extra 30min zzz's?). Which is why my posts are a little late -- enjoyed reading everyone else's though!

A few of my little thoughts of this finale (please tell me what ya thunk):

Darren's comments -- in an earlier promo, they included an interview w/ Darren where he says something about if he had told James, some of the guys wouldn't be there now. This was never followed up on the finale.

Darren's comments II -- he said in the interview that James would be "hearing from me"...did he? and he was also really adamant about not understanding why James didn't choose him. I wonder if he knows now?

Matt's extra footage -- on his 1on1 w/ James on an earlier ep, they showed footage of Matt sort of hinting that he didn't feel the chemistry. In this ep, we see a short clip of that same scene, but Matt is saying "I'm saying I want to leave. Is that direct enough of an answer?" -- I don't know why they didn't just include that in the earlier ep?

Brian's kiss -- James came home from his 1on1 w/ Brian and the balloon to tell Andra that he and Brian kissed. But in this ep, Brian is smarting from being denied a kiss. Which was it?

Wes's embrace -- in the finale, we see a shot of Wes hugging James after their 1on1 and kiss, and the angle is from the back of James (earlier we saw this same scene but from the side). Did anyone catch that Wes's fingers were majorly gripping into James's shirt/back? If they had shown that scene earlier, I would have had no doubts about his orientation and his feelings -- this guy was smitten.

Who's not ready? -- During their finale discussion, Andra and James are going over the finalists. She says "I just don't think he's ready for you." Who was she talking about? Brian or Wes? In the context of the clip, it seems like Wes, but given the final decision, I guess it was Brian?

Andra's leap -- One thing you have to hand to Andra, she definitely threw herself on the flames to help/protect James. She realized that she could just sit back and 'que sera', but she was so heartbroken about James's dilemma that she sacrificed whatever 'image' (and you know she was concerned about how she would end up being depicted on the show) to go after Franklin to get some reaction from him. Some of you may not like her, but wouldn't you want her on your side?

Franklin's slip? -- at the lunch/bbq confrontation (whew!!), I think the moment Franklin started talking about West Hollywood and "that kind of people", Andra had him. He braved it well, and had his own thoughts about the whole show/game, but I think this little exchange was what Andra (and James) needed to be pretty comfortable with pointing at him as the straight man. When she countered with "You're pretty?", my mouth hung open for a while --- wow, harsh!

Wes's humble? -- I was surprised to hear Wes say that he would be shocked if James picked him. I think he has this great ability to size up a situation, which is probably why his interviews are used a lot in the show -- not only b/c he eventually was picked, but I think he had a lot of very insightful comments that fit what the producers were trying to do with the show. It turned out wrong, and James picked him of course, but... it did make Wes's reaction to James's invite that much sweeter.

Intimate finale -- I think the best part of this ep was the intimacy we got to see among the mates. That last night before, the playful slumber party (with a twist, of tension of course!) sense of the evening was just plain fun to watch. The tree was hilarious!

Roles -- isn't it funny? Wes is always ironing. Franklin is cooking. Brian's pouring the drinks.

Great Heart Prize -- goes to Brian. This ep finally showed Brian's great playful, balancer personality as well as (finally!) his emotions. We saw him being honest with Wes about the jealousy w/o being hostile. We saw him carefully keep Wes and Franklin balanced and supported. We saw him throw a LOT of jokes around ("You're dating all my roommates! James is on the phone -- who's it for?" "Are we gonna have sex now, Franklin?" "Do you have room in your suitcase for the sheets?"), and YES! we finally see his emotions flow over the line when James tells him he's not the one.

What will Brian understand? -- when James tells Brian he's not the one, he says something like "to not hurt you, I'm not choosing you. You will understand." Brian tries to be agreeable and empathetic about understanding nonetheless, but wasn't James referring to the whole twist issue? Was James afraid Brian might be the straight one if Franklin turns out not to be? Why would choosing Brian be hurtful to them?

Order, please! -- I was wondering what the true order of the selection process was. On the show, it was Wes-Franklin-Brian-Wes-Franklin-Wes. I had a feeling that in real time, it may have been Franklin-Brian-Wes -- it would make sense to get the straight guy accusations over with first and leave the chosen one to last...?

Last thought, I promise -- the ending was really very appropriate to the tone of the show, as well as James/Wes ("let's go-where?-I don't know-okay"). Did they script this?? Despite all the rantings, I really enjoyed watching this whole thing unfold, and it wouldn't have been HALF as much fun without all of you guys here on this forum. The best thing was not the 'message' the show had to tout, but that we got to see not only gay men of all different types/personalities shown on tv to the mass of middle america, but that it showed both straight and gay men getting along with ease. Just the image of these guys all jumbled up together was enough to balance out the anguish it caused James. Had it been only gay men, it may have given an all too exclusive 'member's only' feel to the gay man's sphere or culture.
    Last edited by foody; 09-03-2003 at 09:54 AM.

hmm..good thoughts and observations! I have no idea about any of that. Can someone explain to me the whole Andra vs. Franklin scene? I caught most of it, but I felt like I missed something! It kind of flew over my head.

-Kate

19th or 14th Century/depending on how I feel
    I was very much undisappointed! In a previous post in another thread, I compared Wes to a friendly little puppy, but last night it was James who was like a puppy happily following Wes to "I don't know".

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by alixtheweaver
    I was very much undisappointed! In a previous post in another thread, I compared Wes to a friendly little puppy, but last night it was James who was like a puppy happily following Wes to "I don't know".

Happily I-don't-know After!

I think Wes just wanted to go somewheres private for some more smooching.... they just couldn't keep their eyes off each other. (We should have figured this out anyway from the way Wes and James looked at each other on the Today show interview)

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Well, thank God. I hadn't watched the show because I was sooooo afraid of James getting hurt. I am so glad that he chose Wes and all ended well for them!

19th or 14th Century/depending on how I feel
    Quote Originally Posted by foody
    Happily I-don't-know After!

(We should have figured this out anyway from the way Wes and James looked at each other on the Today show interview)
    I agree completely. It would seem that the attraction is still there four months later. Hope it lasts, they make a very nice looking couple. I've thought that since the Karoke episode when they looked at each other and then Wes threw his arms around James.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by MajiH
    Well, thank God. I hadn't watched the show because I was sooooo afraid of James getting hurt. I am so glad that he chose Wes and all ended well for them!
    you're so sweet! you couldn't even watch the show?

well, NOW, you can -- they are doing a marathon again some time soon. You can watch or tape that and get all the eps in a row.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by alixtheweaver
    I agree completely. It would seem that the attraction is still there four months later. Hope it lasts, they make a very nice looking couple. I've thought that since the Karoke episode when they looked at each other and then Wes threw his arms around James.
    some people have pointed out that Wes got all the 'good' dates and moments -- those that led to James falling for him. I think that's partly true, but also that Wes and James created the initial magic that brought those moments together. Things happen when these guys are near each other. James said in the finale that he could imagine himself doing things with Wes, and just being near him. This was it. If they had tossed these two into a broken elevator for two hours, they would have still come out of it with a connection and feelings. They just balance each other out very well, while holding many things like maturity and sincerity alike.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast