+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Last Episode...Disappointed?

Quote Originally Posted by foody
    Happily I-don't-know After!

I think Wes just wanted to go somewheres private for some more smooching.... they just couldn't keep their eyes off each other. (We should have figured this out anyway from the way Wes and James looked at each other on the Today show interview)

What Today show interview?

FORT Newbie
    foody wrote: What will Brian understand? -- when James tells Brian he's not the one, he says something like "to not hurt you, I'm not choosing you. You will understand." Brian tries to be agreeable and empathetic about understanding nonetheless, but wasn't James referring to the whole twist issue? Was James afraid Brian might be the straight one if Franklin turns out not to be? Why would choosing Brian be hurtful to them?

foody,

You brought up a lot of good points in your post... regarding what James said to Brian, I think that he was just trying to let him down lightly...as in it would be more hurtful to choose you when this relationship won't go anywhere.

I may have read too much into this...but I have a nagging thought in the back of my mind that James & Wes have that understanding between them. They always seemed to be just friends to me during their time together. The kissing & romantic stuff didn't seem genuine to me, but rather, acted out. (I hope I'm wrong). I think James and Wes plan to go on the trip, have a good time, and return home knowing that they are just friends. After all, they were only together 1 week and probably only spent a fraction of that time actually together in a series of staged activities. It would seem hard to me for anyone to get emotionally invested in that short a time. I think James is still out there looking for Mr. Right.

Just my thought...

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovation Guy
    What Today show interview?

On this week's Tuesday, in the last hour, the four men sat down with Ann Curry from the Today show. It was the morning of the finale airing. I've posted a complete transcript of the interview under the Discussion Thread: Finalists on Today Show, somewhere on page two.

The look that James and Wes gave each other (not in the transcript) was right when Ann was wrapping things up at the end and said something about the 'future' of the guys. Wes and James were sitting next to each other, and James turned to Wes and they smiled at each other for a decent moment. It could be reading too much into it, but I saw a lot of comfort and connection there, like they were sharing a little secret.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by BMBFan835
    foody wrote: What will Brian understand? -- when James tells Brian he's not the one, he says something like "to not hurt you, I'm not choosing you. You will understand." Brian tries to be agreeable and empathetic about understanding nonetheless, but wasn't James referring to the whole twist issue? Was James afraid Brian might be the straight one if Franklin turns out not to be? Why would choosing Brian be hurtful to them?

foody,

You brought up a lot of good points in your post... regarding what James said to Brian, I think that he was just trying to let him down lightly...as in it would be more hurtful to choose you when this relationship won't go anywhere.

I may have read too much into this...but I have a nagging thought in the back of my mind that James & Wes have that understanding between them. They always seemed to be just friends to me during their time together. The kissing & romantic stuff didn't seem genuine to me, but rather, acted out. (I hope I'm wrong). I think James and Wes plan to go on the trip, have a good time, and return home knowing that they are just friends. After all, they were only together 1 week and probably only spent a fraction of that time actually together in a series of staged activities. It would seem hard to me for anyone to get emotionally invested in that short a time. I think James is still out there looking for Mr. Right.

Just my thought...
    I agree with you, I don't think Wes and James will end up being more than friends in the end (which is okay). As a matter of fact, didn't James say during last night's show that he didn't see anything lasting between he and Wes? Also, I was at the viewing party for the final episode that Brian hosted here in West Hollywood, and most of the cast was there. I could be wrong, but there didn't seem to be a lot of chemistry between James and Wes.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by BMBFan835
    ...I may have read too much into this...but I have a nagging thought in the back of my mind that James & Wes have that understanding between them. They always seemed to be just friends to me during their time together....
    Hi BMBfan835, thanks for your post!

yes, I suppose James could have said it just in plain kindness to Brian. I guess I got caught on the word "will" (future tense) that James used... He could have just said "I hope you understand" or even "I hope you will understand". But he said "you understand. you WILL." -- and that caused me to think that maybe he meant, you will understand when you find out that there was a straight guy in the mix, and I had to pick with that in mind. I guess I did read too much into it!

As for Wes and james, It's entirely possible that they could have planned ahead. But, given that cameras were on them the entire time they were together, James would have had to have purposefully snubbed his nose at the show producers and done it right in front of the cameras. I don't think this is his style. If he really wanted to thwart the producers, he would have just blown the whistle on the straight guy twist to the entire trio at lunch and had Andra at his side for support.

The other consideration is that if James did make a plan with Wes, when would he have done it? At the beginning of the show? At their last date together? At the beginning of the show, he didn't know about the twist, and wouldn't have had the reason to 'cheat' the game. He was earnestly there to find someone with a relationship potential. If he did it at the last date, he wouldn't have looked so surprised (did a small double take) when Wes said that infamous "you assumed I was gay, why?" line. Would he?

As for the presence or lack of chemistry in a weeklong date-a-thon, I think it can be boiled down to this. There was soooo much tension as the days progressed and people were being sent home day after day. In these extreme circumstances, people tend to accelerate emotions. You know, like when people meet under tremendous stress it brings about a relationship faster or more intensely. This is just my theory of how these dating shows work -- you get them all worked up, cut off from the real world, and mess with their sense of proportion. It's possible that after the show was over, they cooled down a bit. If they had decieved the audience and were in fact just friends, I don't think they would have looked into each others faces so directly at the Today show interview at the end. The other bit of 'cheater' info I read somewhere was that when Robb and Wes visited James and BrianH in recent weeks, Robb said he stayed with Brian, but Robb did not mention where Wes stayed. It's not really conclusive, but...?

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolasdad
    I agree with you, I don't think Wes and James will end up being more than friends in the end (which is okay). As a matter of fact, didn't James say during last night's show that he didn't see anything lasting between he and Wes? Also, I was at the viewing party for the final episode that Brian hosted here in West Hollywood, and most of the cast was there. I could be wrong, but there didn't seem to be a lot of chemistry between James and Wes.
    ooh! tell us more about the party! what happened? why did you think there wasn't that much chemistry between James and Wes?

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by foody
    ooh! tell us more about the party! what happened? why did you think there wasn't that much chemistry between James and Wes?
    It was a lot of fun watching the show with the guys there. The crowd was very rowdy and, since it was in Brian's bar, it seemed that most of the people there were hoping he'd be the one James picked. Franklin, Robb, Jason, Marc, Wes, Michael, Dan, Darren, Brian, James and Andra were all there. I only had an opportunity to speak briefly with Marc (who I already knew), Dan and Franklin. But everyone was very approachable and very nice and most of them seemed to be really good friends and they all seemed to be really enjoyed their 15 minutes. I really shouldn't have commented on the chemistry between James and Wes since I wasn't watching them the entire time. Anyway, it was a great time.

FORT Newbie
    [
    Who's not ready? -- During their finale discussion, Andra and James are going over the finalists. She says "I just don't think he's ready for you." Who was she talking about? Brian or Wes? In the context of the clip, it seems like Wes, but given the final decision, I guess it was Brian?

This whole part of the episode puzzles me as well because as played in the episode everything about this conversation says Brian is going to be his choice. Yet he ends up picking Wes.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolasdad
    It was a lot of fun watching the show with the guys there. The crowd was very rowdy and, since it was in Brian's bar, it seemed that most of the people there were hoping he'd be the one James picked. Franklin, Robb, Jason, Marc, Wes, Michael, Dan, Darren, Brian, James and Andra were all there. I only had an opportunity to speak briefly with Marc (who I already knew), Dan and Franklin. But everyone was very approachable and very nice and most of them seemed to be really good friends and they all seemed to be really enjoyed their 15 minutes. I really shouldn't have commented on the chemistry between James and Wes since I wasn't watching them the entire time. Anyway, it was a great time.
    wow, that's a healthy bunch. I didn't realize so many would be there. I'm so happy to hear Franklin and Darren were there, as these two had the most 'issues' with james.

I wonder if Darren ever approached James about what happened to their budding connection?

It's interesting that the three straight guys attending were the three (to me at least) with the most under-straightdar vibe... could they be embracing this newfound gay culture with open arms now? Did they bring female dates?

I guess it would have been difficult for James and Wes to be snuggly and lovey with each other if the crowd was chanting for Brian to win...!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by janos50
    [
    Who's not ready? -- During their finale discussion, Andra and James are going over the finalists. She says "I just don't think he's ready for you." Who was she talking about? Brian or Wes? In the context of the clip, it seems like Wes, but given the final decision, I guess it was Brian?

This whole part of the episode puzzles me as well because as played in the episode everything about this conversation says Brian is going to be his choice. Yet he ends up picking Wes.
    It was sooo confusing! I think that major editing was done here, to keep us from guessing what their final choice was. they did this throughout the first half of the show, so frustrating!!! gggrrrr... From what I get though, I think that if you look at the flow of the discussion, Andra is saying that though with Wes there is a potential for a huge flame burst that dies quickly, Brian isn't equal to James's needs for long term growth -- intellectual, cultural, professional, emotional, social, etc. Brian had the solid, dependability factor, but at the end, Andra felt like there was an imbalance to the pairing that would become an issue in the real world future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast