+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Show Set Ups

FORT Newbie

Future Show Set Ups

As I wipe the egg from my face (I wanted Franklin to be the choice, convinced he was gay) and resign my gaydar subscription (returning all toaster ovens), I wonder what you all might like to see as future show setups and twists?

1. Have three leading men who have to all agree on eliminations before they can be made - twist being one of the leading men is straight.

2. Have a heterosexual spinoff with all of the choices being either women or very good cross-dressers.

What do you ladies and gentlemen think????

I think that if there is a follow-up to BMB (and I'm not so sure that there will be), it'll be one of two scenarios: another version of what we've just watched or a female version (Girl Meets Girl?).

Personally, in the end, I think the twist was completely unnecessary and did more harm than good. There would have been just as much to talk about it BMB had been a plain ol' gay dating reality show.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    I think that if there is a follow-up to BMB (and I'm not so sure that there will be), it'll be one of two scenarios: another version of what we've just watched or a female version (Girl Meets Girl?).

Personally, in the end, I think the twist was completely unnecessary and did more harm than good. There would have been just as much to talk about it BMB had been a plain ol' gay dating reality show.

Yes, I think the sad lesson learned was that when you toy with our hearts, you take on a lot more than you bargain for and we're not going to let you off easily. Perhaps straight men just don't understand how deeply gay men can feel - what they consider a lark is very serious for us.

If they try to do this again, I'll watch but I'd rather just tune in on updates of James' life than anything else. They couldn't have fabricated a more completely winning incarnation of "Prince Charming" than this ultimate catch of catches.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by lobeck

How about
    Bi-Meets-Bi? And Michael can host!

With regard to the twist, it was definitely a very cruel position to put James in. But I truly think that without the straight mix in the group, it would have been relegated to the sub-categories of a gay sub-culture show. If it was only gay men, it would have a very enclosed feel to it -- which, in reality is perfectly acceptable. But for the show to work, and to hit nerves and become part of 'normal' viewing expectations, they needed to mix in the image of gay and straight men getting along and being comfortable with each other. Matt said in the finale that he had no straight male friends and wondered about that in himself -- and BrianA. said that he wanted his friends and family to see him mixing with gay friends (b/c they don't understand his relationships to his real life gay friends). It works both ways, I think.

Showing them all jumbled up together is exactly what the show needed to get the show from obscurity to main stream. And regardless of the lie, generally it provided positive imagery of how these friendships can work. I'm really sorry James had to go through it like that though, especially since he was really serious about finding a long term person. This was a first step of sorts; perhaps next time they'll be able to work out the issues without putting someone's heart in the crossfire.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by foody
    How about
    Bi-Meets-Bi? And Michael can host!

With regard to the twist, it was definitely a very cruel position to put James in. But I truly think that without the straight mix in the group, it would have been relegated to the sub-categories of a gay sub-culture show. If it was only gay men, it would have a very enclosed feel to it -- which, in reality is perfectly acceptable. But for the show to work, and to hit nerves and become part of 'normal' viewing expectations, they needed to mix in the image of gay and straight men getting along and being comfortable with each other. Matt said in the finale that he had no straight male friends and wondered about that in himself -- and BrianA. said that he wanted his friends and family to see him mixing with gay friends (b/c they don't understand his relationships to his real life gay friends). It works both ways, I think.

Showing them all jumbled up together is exactly what the show needed to get the show from obscurity to main stream. And regardless of the lie, generally it provided positive imagery of how these friendships can work. I'm really sorry James had to go through it like that though, especially since he was really serious about finding a long term person. This was a first step of sorts; perhaps next time they'll be able to work out the issues without putting someone's heart in the crossfire.
    Okay, I know you guys are going to jump on me for this, but in my opinion, anyone who goes on ANY reality show and expects everything to go smoothly and without hitches, surprises, disappointments, etc., is a little naive. It's like having someone ask you to go on the Jerry Springer show with them and expecting nothing much to happen.

Okay, let the attacks begin . . . I'm ready.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolasdad
    Okay, I know you guys are going to jump on me for this, but in my opinion, anyone who goes on ANY reality show and expects everything to go smoothly and without hitches, surprises, disappointments, etc., is a little naive. It's like having someone ask you to go on the Jerry Springer show with them and expecting nothing much to happen.

are you kidding? OF COURSE I AGREE!

It's one thing if this was the 60s or this was the first reality dating show. Heck, even if they had aired Survivor, it would still be reasonable to be naive. But after ALL those shows we've seen played out on tv, it's impossible NOT to have suspicions. I think that because it was a show involving gay men, they may have thought that they would be treated with kid gloves b/c it was a sensitive issue still.

Have you guys heard of this new show Joe Shmoe? It's on SpikeTV (ugh!), and basically has THE meanest premise ever. You won't be able to top this -- get this: the show stars one 'real' guy, your average american dude; however, all the other members, the host, etc., are all actors, unknown to the main Joe Schmo guy. They have been rehearsing for a year, and have developed their 'character', have rough scripts/storylines to play out.... all to see how far this Joe Schmo will go, what his reactions will be, and if he'll figure it out.

From what I read of a NYTimes article, it sounds like the biggest boobs are the actors themselves. I wince.

ant
    FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolasdad

yeah me 2...
    i hear you there...
    did james and wes
    come together? i'm just
    so hopeful that the fairy tale lives on...
    matt's website (go and check it out and join the fun/excitement- there's 5 bmb members posting and counting - please click below):
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boy_Meets_Boy/

are you kidding? OF COURSE I AGREE!

It's one thing if this was the 60s or this was the first reality dating show. Heck, even if they had aired Survivor, it would still be reasonable to be naive. But after ALL those shows we've seen played out on tv, it's impossible NOT to have suspicions. I think that because it was a show involving gay men, they may have thought that they would be treated with kid gloves b/c it was a sensitive issue still.

Have you guys heard of this new show Joe Shmoe? It's on SpikeTV (ugh!), and basically has THE meanest premise ever. You won't be able to top this -- get this: the show stars one 'real' guy, your average american dude; however, all the other members, the host, etc., are all actors, unknown to the main Joe Schmo guy. They have been rehearsing for a year, and have developed their 'character', have rough scripts/storylines to play out.... all to see how far this Joe Schmo will go, what his reactions will be, and if he'll figure it out.

From what I read of a NYTimes article, it sounds like the biggest boobs are the actors themselves. I wince.
    *sigh*, this poor guy! That is really really sad.

(Spike tv is for real!? oy.)

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by dearkate
    *sigh*, this poor guy! That is really really sad.

(Spike tv is for real!? oy.)
    isn't it? and to top it all off, I've read that this reality show taping went on for months. not just a week like bmb. of course, they draped a cash prize for the winnings, but still!

isn't it? and to top it all off, I've read that this reality show taping went on for months. not just a week like bmb. of course, they draped a cash prize for the winnings, but still!
    Oh brother. I just found an article on this, it says the "joe schmo" guy won't talk to the press b/c he's so embarrassed! **slaps forehead** Well duh! I don't blame him one bit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast