+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: Need better-looking gay mates

  1. #1
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1

    Need better-looking gay mates

    It seemed to me that the reason why James felt so 'betrayed' by the straight guy is because he really had the hots for Franklin. If he had his druthers, Franklin would have been the guy. So, it does re-enforce the stereotype that gay guys are really after straight men. The real problem is that none of the gay guys were in the same league as James. James is an unqualified hunk and it is a truism for both gay and straight couples, that both partners tend to be of the same general level of attractiveness. Wes is okay and he has a good personality but he is no where near as good-looking as James or Franklin. In fact, the best-looking mates on the show were straight (Dan, Franklin). Can anyone blame James for hoping that one of the hunks might actually work out for him? There are plenty of gorgeous gay guys out there. The producers should have worked harder to get them on the show!

  2. #2
    FORT Regular jcboltfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    121
    I disagree. First of all, many of the gay guys were good looking, especially Wes. I thought he was the most attractive. In regards to Franklin, James may have been interested at first, but even in the finale Andra says she was the one pushing Franklin more than James (ie. her gaydar was off). I don't think James ever felt too much chemistry with Franklin but had to choose between Sean and him in the final 6. He actually seemed to have the hardest time with the pick, and if you were right about looks being the only thing, it should have been a slam dunk between these two guys.

  3. #3
    For Your Entertainment lobeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Age
    49
    Posts
    14,903
    Quote Originally Posted by themartyr35
    It seemed to me that the reason why James felt so 'betrayed' by the straight guy is because he really had the hots for Franklin. If he had his druthers, Franklin would have been the guy. So, it does re-enforce the stereotype that gay guys are really after straight men. The real problem is that none of the gay guys were in the same league as James. James is an unqualified hunk and it is a truism for both gay and straight couples, that both partners tend to be of the same general level of attractiveness. Wes is okay and he has a good personality but he is no where near as good-looking as James or Franklin. In fact, the best-looking mates on the show were straight (Dan, Franklin). Can anyone blame James for hoping that one of the hunks might actually work out for him? There are plenty of gorgeous gay guys out there. The producers should have worked harder to get them on the show!
    I completely disagree. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but for you to say that Franklin "would have been the guy" if James "had his druthers" and that the show "re-enforces the stereotype that gay guys are really after straight men" is nothing more than that...your opinion. None of the gay guys were in the same league as James? Whatever. Personally, there were plenty of very good-looking men on that show, gay and straight.

    Again, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But, please don't present it as fact.

  4. #4
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by themartyr35
    ...Can anyone blame James for hoping that one of the hunks might actually work out for him? There are plenty of gorgeous gay guys out there. The producers should have worked harder to get them on the show!
    there is something to be said about being in the 'same league' with regard to how people choose their partners, yes, but given what we know about the intent of the show and James's personality, I think they made mostly good choices.

    It would have been doubly cruel to put a ton of gorgeous guys in the mix, not only to James, but also to the hope and idea of depicting an array of 'types' -- both straight and gay. Otherwise, the show is just playing into a biased stereotype. They did choose attractive men of different looks and personalities. I think it was also telling that certain types who you didn't think were 'gorgeous' at first glance could grow on you with personality and watching them interact socially. It's not a hook up game they're going for -- though we could save that idea for 'Gay Paradise Island'!

    James did keep Franklin for his looks -- he admitted as much in the finale. However, he told Andra that he didn't feel chemistry in the same way he did with Wes. And ultimately, he chose the chemistry and followed his heart, even if at a certain unknown risk.

  5. #5
    FORT Regular dearkate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    143
    Out of every reality show I have ever watched, I've never seen a whole show where everyone was pretty much a hottie. At least I found them all very attractive. Of course, tastes differ from person to person.

    kate

  6. #6
    For Your Entertainment lobeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Age
    49
    Posts
    14,903
    Quote Originally Posted by dearkate
    Of course, tastes differ from person to person.

    kate

  7. #7
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by dearkate
    Out of every reality show I have ever watched, I've never seen a whole show where everyone was pretty much a hottie. At least I found them all very attractive. Of course, tastes differ from person to person.

    kate

    Most reality shows always throw in a few people who are a little 'too much', either looks or personality-wise. They are chosen to be the troublemakers, or the boat-rockers... to clash with the others on purpose.

    This show was pretty much all men who are attractive, healthy, and have the quality of sincerity (lying about being straight aside). They're all decent, and acted so on the show. I think this is probably why they all were pretty much appealing in their own way -- individual tastes vary, but you have to admit they are all people you could bring home to your friends/family.

  8. #8
    FORT Regular dearkate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by foody
    Most reality shows always throw in a few people who are a little 'too much', either looks or personality-wise. They are chosen to be the troublemakers, or the boat-rockers... to clash with the others on purpose.

    This show was pretty much all men who are attractive, healthy, and have the quality of sincerity (lying about being straight aside). They're all decent, and acted so on the show. I think this is probably why they all were pretty much appealing in their own way -- individual tastes vary, but you have to admit they are all people you could bring home to your friends/family.
    Very true! Every other reality show you end up hating or "loving to hate" a few or all of the people. (**fake sneeze**..big brother)

    Everyone on this show had a great personality, great looks, and I definitely agree they were all appealing in their own way. In fact, I wanted to take them all home. Thats part of the reason I could have watched this show without the dirty twist, because they were so much fun to watch just when they were interacting and having fun.

  9. #9
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by themartyr35
    It seemed to me that the reason why James felt so 'betrayed' by the straight guy is because he really had the hots for Franklin. If he had his druthers, Franklin would have been the guy. So, it does re-enforce the stereotype that gay guys are really after straight men. The real problem is that none of the gay guys were in the same league as James. James is an unqualified hunk and it is a truism for both gay and straight couples, that both partners tend to be of the same general level of attractiveness. Wes is okay and he has a good personality but he is no where near as good-looking as James or Franklin. In fact, the best-looking mates on the show were straight (Dan, Franklin). Can anyone blame James for hoping that one of the hunks might actually work out for him? There are plenty of gorgeous gay guys out there. The producers should have worked harder to get them on the show!
    Like others here, I can't agree. From a purely physical standpoint, James and Matt were the two most gorgeous guys. All of the mates were attractive in their own way, although I found Dan the least appealing, partly because of that smile/grimace thing he would do. But Michael, Paul, Jim and Brian A. are quite ordinary-looking, as are Jason, Chris and Marc. Overall I think it was quite balanced.

    And as in real life, as I start to like the personalities of certain guys, they become more attractive to me. And vice versa. While I thought Wes was adorable from the start, by the end, he was moving into the league of gorgeousness.

    As for the gay guys not being in James' league, one of the straight mates (Dan?) pegged it early on when he said to James in the first episode, "You're the best-looking guy here, and I'm sure they did that on purpose." Indeed.

  10. #10
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    84
    I don't agree with the idea that this show perpetuated the idea that gay men like straight men. However, I agree with themartyr35 that the two most striking men on the show were Dan and Franklin. James was obviously physically attracted to them, or he wouldn't have kept them around so long. I mean it took him 3 shows to boot Dan, although he had issues with Dan's "other relationship" from the very first night!

    I'm sure the producers took note of the physical type that James was attracted to and supplied people accordingly. I'm sure they could have found a gay man who was just as striking as Dan or Franklin, but this was their plan for getting a straight guy easily to the final 3.

    Of course, this is just my personal opinion! There's no arguing about looks. It's not that the other guys were bad looking, it's just that Dan and Franklin really, really stood out to me as having classical, model-like good looks, which James seems to like -- as he knows he's very good looking as well.

    For the record, James is good looking, but IMO, not as much so as many on this board seem to think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.