+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Letter to the producers

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jsciv
    I had my hissy fit after episode 2 once I realized just how freakin' many straight guys were in the mix. Once I got over that, I felt better.

-- Joe
    I guess I just don't understand the need for a hissy fit. We all knew going in that there were straight guys in the mix and no one ever said how many. But I'm glad to hear you, unlike some, did get over it.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by jsciv
    I had my hissy fit after episode 2 once I realized just how freakin' many straight guys were in the mix. Once I got over that, I felt better.

-- Joe
    I visited the bravo website today, and they had a poll asking if James and Wes did not hit it off, who would we want James to date next? (which, coming from the show people itself, sounded rather cynical!)

Anyway, I looked down at the list, and was like -- what? is this it? It just hit me then just how few people James 'really' had to choose from. No hissy fits, though!

FORT Newbie

I think it was great!

I think it was a great introduction to the rest of the world that being gay doesn't mean you are just one big freak! It showed that being gay was being normal or at least that is what I saw. To me the show was done in a very tasteful way and I didn't actually get to see it until a couple of weeks ago. James is a sweet cute guy and it made me happy to see and hear what he said to Wes as he chose Wes.

I'm just guess that having your life on national TV like that can not be very easy.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolasdad
    I have to agree with Matson. I'm a gay man who had no problem with the show. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed every minute of it.
    I enjoyed it as well. However, I also thought it was poorly produced and directed. I hated the host from the very beginning, so I was glad that she had less appearances as the show progressed. I understand that the producers will want to edit footage in such a way to have specific angles and whatnot, but just the way the show was set up, and done... it could have been so much better. Better interviews, better editing...

I still enjoyed the show, and if a 2nd version were to come on, I'd probably watch it as well. But I sure hope they'd do a better job of it.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Invero
    I enjoyed it as well. However, I also thought it was poorly produced and directed. I hated the host from the very beginning, so I was glad that she had less appearances as the show progressed. I understand that the producers will want to edit footage in such a way to have specific angles and whatnot, but just the way the show was set up, and done... it could have been so much better. Better interviews, better editing...

I still enjoyed the show, and if a 2nd version were to come on, I'd probably watch it as well. But I sure hope they'd do a better job of it.
    Well I disagree with you. I work in Video Production and I don't think there was anything wrong with the producing, direction or editing. The only production gaffe was the candle fire, which was really the production crew coming up with a stupid solution to a production problem, and it backfired on them.

FORT Newbie
    I will never understand why people are suprised with the twists set up in reality tv.If you are willing to go on tv and have your life made public for ratings you had better be ready to look a little foolish when it is all said and done.I completely enjoyed this program thought the mates were all far more interesting than James and Andra who seems to think all bad things are centered around her.Most of all I was touched with the understanding by many of the straight-mates of what it is like to live life,even if for a short time,in the closet.Bravo just let us all know that with reality tv its equal gay or straight we can all whine and look pathetic for the worlds nightly entertainment.
    Last edited by lobeck; 09-04-2003 at 05:32 PM.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolasdad
    I guess I just don't understand the need for a hissy fit. We all knew going in that there were straight guys in the mix and no one ever said how many. But I'm glad to hear you, unlike some, did get over it.

If you read the news coverage of this show in the mainstream and gay press--and i am not referring to message boards about reality tv here--there was a portion of the gay community that "was having a hissy fit/objecting to this show" from the minute it was announced by Bravo. That as opposed to some of the vile comments on these message boards and the yahoo groups is a legimate topic of discussion it seems to me.

For example in the preview article done for this show by Newsweek (the article which the picture with only 12 instead of 15 mates was from)James' comments about this show are far different than the ones used by Bravo in the final episode as are the comments attributed to Brian which makes me wonder when those last comments were filmed.

Based on the things I have heard from knowledgeable sources about what took place between the gay mates and the producers right after the show I don't believe they were filmed then.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethy11
    Based on the things I have heard from knowledgeable sources about what took place between the gay mates and the producers right after the show I don't believe they were filmed then.
    What have you heard?

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by diva3000
    In my letter to the BMB producers (and I hope all you write one too, I haven't met one gay person happy with the way this show was done), I will point out how we were denied the opportunity to hear the voices of the gay guys in the end. There was all this recap of the straight guys and why they participated, but the reaction of the gay guys like Robb, Mark and Jason were completely left out. How did they feel about being bumped for straight men? Did they figure any of the guys out themselves? What about Jason getting kicked out of the military and was this sacrifice worth it?

If they really wanted an examination of the S vs. G thing and not an exploitive, patronizing straight thing, then the gay people's voices should have been heard.

I also want to know what happened to Wes and James after, and Franklin. The NBC interview should have been on Wednesday morning after the final episode, not on the day of -to sell the show and draw more viewers.

Let's face it, these guys don't know how to do reality shows: They tipped their hand in a lot of ways, they had a lousy host who was missing most of the time (and totally gone in the last ep.), they did a lousy hour long revelation which was stretched out way too long in the last episode, and they left out so many details-like rules, and they edited out all the negative stuff they didn't want us to see like James & Aundra's complete reactions to the twist!

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU ON? DUDE **ITS FOR FUN***(not that id mind hearing/seeing more of Robb) :stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Matson
    That's right it IS TV but you'd be surprised how many gay men out there have gone off the deep end calling the show's producers EVIL, calling Franklin a sh*thead (no kidding) and saying how "wrong" and "cruel" the twist was. A writer actually called BMB a "gay bashing frozen in time". What utter B.S.
    I can't believe that people are giving the straight guys a hard time. I think it's obvious that no homophobe would do this show for a mere $25K and that there was something far better in what they were attempting to do.

I do wish the producers had let James know about the "twist" from the beginning, but I also believe that they had good intentions and that they ended up doing something very positive in the end. I also wish James had had more gay men to choose from. The way it ended up, it was only what, 8 or something? And I wish they hadn't grouped them when James was choosing so that he would be forced to choose a straight guy for the final episode. Oh, and while I'm on the subject, I wish there'd been a bit more closure. Maybe a two-hour finale with the last hour brining all 15 original guys together with James and Andra, to tidy up loose ends afterwards.

All that aside though, I thought it was an excellent show and I hope there's another one. I just hope they give up on the "twist" aspect of the show and let everyone participate in trying to guess who's gay and who's straight. I think that'd be a lot of fun and would save some people the anguish.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12