+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Final Thoughts?

DFE
    FORT Newbie

Final Thoughts?

Tommorrow, we finely found out. I'm almost ashamed to admit how much I've been looking forward to it.

Logically, Franklin seems to be the remaining straight guy. He seems the most straight. He's the only remaining one who hasn't kissed James. James seems to think he is the straight one. Even the groupings support him being the straight guy. But is it really all that easy? Even the Bravo official website shows viewers overwelming think Franklin is the straight guy. When last checked 74% think Brian is gay, 77% think Wes is gay and only 46% (which I think is surprisingly high) think Franklin is gay. Did the producers create a show that proclaims to challenge sterotypes and end up reinforcing them? I just don't know. It really could end up being that disappointing.

On the other hand, it is possible that one of the straight guys was actually the ace up their sleeves. One of them was so perfect, that thought it likely they would be able to fool a television audience. If that is the case what kind of straight guy would most likely have the background to do it and the comfort level with being around gay men? Would it be Franklin, the young straight acting Sommelier? Would it be a straight music coordinator who moonlights as a topless bartender at a gay bar? Would it be a straight fundraiser who works primarly with gay groups and moonlights as an actor?

I think it is pretty clear, that of the three remaining Mates, Franklin would be the least likely to have the knowledge and comfort level to pull of this deception. Wes, as an actor seems very likely, especially with his "always on" personality. But yet, I have a hard time believing that someone who fundraises for Aids patients could be cold enough to go through with this kind of deception. If he is the imposture, he is one scary guy. But I don't think he is the one. Brian would be my pick for surprise guy. I find it interesting that we haven't heard much about his day job. Plus, the personality that we have seen on the show, laid back, wait and see, doesn't fit the personality of a successful bartender, much less a topless one. I would also think that a successful straight bartender at a gay bar would be pretty good about flirting with the customers and hinding his sexuality in order to get good tips. He may even have built up a bit of resentment about fending off all of the unwanted propositions and might find it amusing to go on a show like this and be the one to perhaps get the last laugh. Now I admit that certainly isn't a flattering portrait. But it is pretty hard to come up with a flattering portorait for the remaining straight guy.

So in the end, I vote Wes least likely to be straight, Franklin most likely to be straight, and Brian most likely to be the big surprise.

FORT Newbie
    I am waiting on pins and needles waiting for the final episode, I am watching the previous shows as we speak, I am so confused, if Franklin is straight, I was be highly upset, and if James picks Wes, than he is a fool, he is acting for sure, (I think), Franklin is hot, hot, hot

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    Hi I'm new!

Here's my two cents.

With these reality shows it's all about the editing. If they really are trying to "prove a point" about stereotypes and, more importantly in the reality TV genre, end with a big shock...the way they are going to do it is make the last straight guy standing be the one who "seems" the most stereotypically gay...and at least one of the gay guys be the straightest acting one. THen they will have everyone make a big preachy speech about stereotypes and what they learned.

So my vote is that Wes is gay and Franklin is straight!!!

My bad! BUt you see...my own Freudian slip sort of proves my point. For maximum shock value, I meant to say that since Wes SEEMS the most "sterotypically" gay - he will be the straight one,

And Franklin who has been made to "seem" straight will be gay and with real feelings for our Leading Man.

Remember that they can edit the show to make each of them "seem" stereotypically gayer or straighter if they want.

What do you all think??

Quote Originally Posted by charlie9
    Hi I'm new!

Here's my two cents.

With these reality shows it's all about the editing. If they really are trying to "prove a point" about stereotypes and, more importantly in the reality TV genre, end with a big shock...the way they are going to do it is make the last straight guy standing be the one who "seems" the most stereotypically gay...and at least one of the gay guys be the straightest acting one. THen they will have everyone make a big preachy speech about stereotypes and what they learned.

So my vote is that Wes is gay and Franklin is straight!!!

FORT Newbie
    You have a good point, I have watched the episodes over and over, and I know I am analyzing it to death but, Wes I don't know, maybe he is being himself, but I don't believe in stereotyping anyone, but if Bravo is manipulating their viewers. Than maybe they need to see that this is the year 2003, most gay men I know don't act like Wes

Fell in love with a boy.. realitynut95's Avatar
    im so totally gonna miss this show!

Quote Originally Posted by REALITY
    but if Bravo is manipulating their viewers. Than maybe they need to see that this is the year 2003, most gay men I know don't act like Wes
    Maybe that's the whole point - most gay men DON'T act like Wes...and that's why he'll "come out" as straight!

THen again maybe I am being too charitable to Bravo's intentions here...who knows! I do love the show and I think it's coming from a good place, but I think it's the ending that's really going to determine what they were going for with this show!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie9
    Maybe that's the whole point - most gay men DON'T act like Wes...and that's why he'll "come out" as straight!

THen again maybe I am being too charitable to Bravo's intentions here...who knows! I do love the show and I think it's coming from a good place, but I think it's the ending that's really going to determine what they were going for with this show!

though the ending is really out of the control of the producers... they were able to manipulate up to a point (manipulate straight/gay ratios), but not who they exactly were. The only 'lesson' we'll get from this is that which we really knew from the start -- that individuals are individuals, and there are no 'definitions' of what a 'man' is, much less what a 'gay man' or 'straight man' is... there are types, but you can't really use one label stereotype to encompass everyone. I don't think Wes is straight -- that may have been the case if the show was a fictional drama; writers would have liked that!

true, you make a good point - i guess they can't do much if he really is in charge of who he ultimately picks (although isn't the end blurb abouthow he "consults with the producers" interesting???) But I will be interested to see how they tie up all these issues at the end and what the final participants have to say about the reasons they came on the show, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by foody
    though the ending is really out of the control of the producers... they were able to manipulate up to a point (manipulate straight/gay ratios), but not who they exactly were. The only 'lesson' we'll get from this is that which we really knew from the start -- that individuals are individuals, and there are no 'definitions' of what a 'man' is, much less what a 'gay man' or 'straight man' is... there are types, but you can't really use one label stereotype to encompass everyone. I don't think Wes is straight -- that may have been the case if the show was a fictional drama; writers would have liked that!

+ Reply to Thread