+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Finalists on the Today Show

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolasdad
    Could it have been a congratulatory thigh rub. Kind of a way of saying "good job"?
    from what people's reaction is to the interview so far, it looks like people are moving away from the Wes-straight idea. (Btw, smatt, you're too funny! James in particular did look a bit too doll-ish; he's so pretty to start with -- was that lip gloss??)

We're still able to interpret everything a hundred different ways -- just like the show...! SIGH.

I know I'll be a little sad after this is all over, but in a way, finally I can get my sanity back!

I read an old post that Robb_BMB (I'm assuming this is really him posting... hi robb! love you!) wrote -- he mentioned that they were going to bring back the non-finalists guys (not sure if he meant all of them, or just some of them) for the finale episode. I'm looking forward to this too.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by smatt1973
    You are so right. Franklin has been selected at the hetero by most people due to his masculinity. Considering most of us here on this site are gay, why are we falling prey to such stereotypes?

Think of people out there like actor/comedian Eddie Izzard. He's living in heteroville. And he's a cross-dresser. Would anyone have selected him, or someone like him, as the straight one had he been on this show???

Stereotypes, which derive from generalizations, don't represent an entire group of people.
    omg, I LOVE Eddie Izzard -- he's brilliant.

Regardless of whether the straight guy turns out to be the 'too gay' Wes or the 'too masculine' Franklin, or the 'too quiet' Brian, I guess this is exactly the point. You can't ever really know. And that's enough of a message. Stereotypes are not always true, and can be harmful in the way you judge people. You end up liking who you like.

Quote Originally Posted by smatt1973
    You are so right. Franklin has been selected at the hetero by most people due to his masculinity. Considering most of us here on this site are gay, why are we falling prey to such stereotypes?
    Speaking of generalizations....

I came to the conclusion that Franklin was the straight one from a lot of factors, and his masculinity isn't any more or less important than any other factor. Certainly Darren has Franklin beat in the "wouldn't show up as gay unless you were really watching" category, for example. So don't assume that just because I think Franklin is the ringer that I did so because I'm falling prey to that particular stereotype.

-- Joe

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by mscnny
    There's been much said on other sites about the lack of verbage from Franklin. His lack of enthusiasm for promotion, etc. Excuse me, did I miss something? Didn't we all see a very short, clean, concise interview for promotional use? That pretty much tried to convey nothing except viewer promotionals? What could we possibly get from that, that we didn't get from yesterday's marathon? I've also tried dilligently to ascertain the str8 guy, but that's because I'm sooooo cheerleading for Franklin. He's getting a bad blast for his lack of "femanisms". Please!!! Please!!! What century am I living in?
    Anyway, this is a great site, plus I haven't watched a reality show for a year or more and this one has captured my attention, greatly. And I can't even say why. I think because it wasn't what I thought Bravo would show. I like the fun everyone is seemingly having on the show. Wes is a cute puppy, but probably the str8 guy, he's really selling and trying to "close the deal". I'm just such a Franklin fan. Robb, James and Franklin were the "visions" that peaked my interest in watching the show.
    This is the ONLY reality show I've watched this year. What really made me love it, and really get into it, was that despite the (mean-sounding) twist, the show was generally about decent people acting decently. There was no hysterics, no backstabbing, no sass, no bad-mouthing. You got to see how the straight guys dealt with being in an unfamiliar environment, and getting something out of that. You got to see gay men put their hearts out a little and take a risk. You formed opinions, then changed them a hundred times, second-guessing your own stereotypes, and at the end, regardless of who 'wins', you take something away from the experience of watching it.

I just hope they don't do too many bad spin-offs of this show. From the trend we see on the other reality shows, the ideas/twists get worse and worse!

FORT Newbie
    All the people who are convinced Brian is straight should provide resonable explanations for the following facts.

The Newsweek article previewing Boy Meets Boy states that "one of the gay mates fell for a straight mate causing the straight mate to go to the producers and tell them he couldn't take it anymore. And the gay mate was devestated when he found out the truth.

Based on the episodes shown--i.e. Dan's interview afterr being evicted and Brian's statement that he had fallen for Dan--who other than Brian and Dan is that referring to and we know Dan is straight.

Since episode 2 when the producers started making groupings for elimnation 1 person in the final 3 has been in a group made up of totally straight people--not just episode 4 where he was paired with Sean. And that isn't Brian. People may be making lots more of it than it deserves but it isn't made up--and based on the twist in my opinion not a coincidence.

Anthony

Nobody should really have to "provide reasonable explanations" for anything. Everyone is entitled to believe what he wants...

FORT Newbie
    I'm like jsciv, I didn't chose Franklin to be straight based on anything else but the way I read his character. And I did it in a analyzed manner because I too know that feminine and masculine traits are only assumed roles society expects of human beings. Who in the hell would've thought Christopher Lowell is married and has a child.......? Now even that man stumped me, but like I said in a previous post my method is not 100% correct.

Christopher Lowell is married? To a woman?

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Poot
    Who in the hell would've thought Christopher Lowell is married and has a child.......? Now even that man stumped me, but like I said in a previous post my method is not 100% correct.
    That is simply frightening. That poor child!!!

No one, gay or straight, wants to claim Christopher Lowell as a member.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Poot
    I'm like jsciv, I didn't chose Franklin to be straight based on anything else but the way I read his character. And I did it in a analyzed manner because I too know that feminine and masculine traits are only assumed roles society expects of human beings. Who in the hell would've thought Christopher Lowell is married and has a child.......? Now even that man stumped me, but like I said in a previous post my method is not 100% correct.
    In the spirit of the show, I think it's been a helluva lot more fun to watch the show without trying to 'cheat' too much (though I've been tempted). They're real people, and word gets out, but a big portion of the fun is making your own guesses from the way the people behave and what they say/don't say. Like Poot says. By not cheating, you do yourself the biggest favor, b/c then you have to really challenge yourself to not fall into stereotypes and really look at each person individually -- whether you're gay or straight watching this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast