+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Finalists on the Today Show

I checked on TiVo this morning to see if they were listed so I could record it, but I didn't see any mention of them...

They were just on in my area. I think we get the Today Show on a one hour delay here in Texas. They were on the first half hour of the last hour of the Today Show.
    Nothing new was revealed, but it looks like James has dyed his hair and added color tips to it.

FORT Regular
    From viewing the segment, I'd have to guess that the straight guy is Brian. There's a couple of reasons for this...

1. Wes just seems too gay...holy waxed eyebrows. (stereotype...yes, so get over it)

2. When all of them stood up, joking about who was straight, they all sat down, and Franklin rubbed Brian's thigh, comforting him. It's pure body language, but it seemed to say, "It's okay. Hang in there." (Yes this is reading into things, but it just seemed to say something.)

For the record, I was picking Wes as the straight one up until that moment.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    I checked on TiVo this morning to see if they were listed so I could record it, but I didn't see any mention of them...
    Actually, I caught them on the Today show this morning (Tues around 9 :10 am). They met with Ann. It was a good interview, everyone looked great (if a little made-up, make-up wise) but you could tell it was morning b/c they all had that morning look under the bright glare of lights.

No revealing statements were made -- just talked mostly about some of the highlights of the dates, and how James felt about being tricked. They all seemed very comfortable with each other, and basically no bad vibes were detected by me

The only thing that did catch my eye was that Franklin was the only one who didn't really speak about 'being gay' -- Wes and Brian both had some things to say about the show being a big step for real gay men in tv. Franklin didn't say anything. When Ann asked jokingly who was the straight man, they all did a little jokey all-stand-up move. The seating was Brian-Franklin-Wes-James, and Ann at the right-end.

Did anyone notice anything else?

FORT Newbie
    I saw them too -- they all looked great, especially Brian. It was a very short segment and I couldn't pick up many clues as to who was straight and who was picked and if it worked out romantically for them, but I did notice two things:

1. Both Brian and Wes spoke about the show's impact on gay culture, but Franklin kept quiet for the most part.

2. At the very end, when the interviewer said something about the future and whether it all worked out for James and whoever, James and Wes exchanged a quick glance.

Sooo...we'll see!

FORT Fan
    For all those who wanted to see the Today show appearance of the BMB finalists and James, here is a transcript of what happened --- sent to me by a friend who was crazy enough to write it out!

Today Show Tues 9/2/2003

Brian: in blue collared shirt and dark pants.
    Franklin: in slightly faded blackish collared shirt and jeans (and glasses)
    Wes: Black shirt and pants, and big-o belt buckle
    James: light brown striped collared shirt and dark pants/jeans

Ann: ..for The One. He dated 15 potential mates and each week dismissed three of them who he didn't feel like made the grade. Well, in a recent episode James learned that one of his final three suitors is not gay. In tonight's big finale, James makes his big decision, and he's here this morning with his three finalists: Wes, Franklin and Brian. Good morning all three of you--all four of you. my gosh. you were angry when you found out that one of these three suitors, who you know you like all of them, were not gay. 'cause, what, you felt duped or--?

J: I think I was shocked. it had been about 8 days of filming, or 7 days of filming. And we were starting developing friendships and feelings and romance and chemistry. and I was sat down and told I got one more twist for you, 'hold on, it's gonna be bumpy'..

A: And you were wondering what the heck did I get myself into? Right? 'cause what this pulls in is this whole kind of what is it, the 'gaydar'.. you gotta now be looking out to figure out ok which one of these guys is not gay. And this is the interesting twist -- if you choose one who is not gay, then you don't win the big fabulous romantic getaway and you dont win the $25,000.

J: well I get the vacation...regardless.

A: you do get the vacation... but you don't get the money.

J: ..to go see a therapist.

(laughs all around)

A: oh, do you need one after this show, James?! it has been tweaking with your emotions. hasn't it?

J: yes it has been an emotional rollercoaster... I think for everone (looks at the other three)

W: I think it's improtant to know we all had a good time. There were friendships made, great bonds, you know. and again, I think we can all say we're still really good friends. That's the most important part.

A: Ok, well let's bring people up to date for people who've not seen the show, or people who have and want to recap. One of the first events you had together was the line-dancing, this cowboy linedancing event. and you guys went dancing, and you picked Franklin out of the lineup. You're not stupid, i mean gorgeous, right? there you are, linedancing with franklin (show footage), and you started to like franklin a little bit and something else happened that you basically went on a rock climb and got really scared. and this time you were really helped by wes.

J: yes he got me off the moutain. (Franklin puts his hand on Wes's shoulder and gives it a little pat, smiling)

Ann: the emotion, b/c you got really scared, right?

W: well you're out there, so high in the air, and I saw James kind of struggling, and I -- 'come on, come on james', yeah, so it was alot of fun

A: so you started to like-- and what did you like about brian that allowed brian to stay in the group?

J: brian is a quiet romantic guy

B: I just slid right in at the end.

laughs

(B: I didn't help or anthing...)

A: so now one of you three is kind of, I guess, is trying to pull the wool over james eyes, and we can't figure out which one of... and this is the interesting part of it, this show was set out to bust gay stereotypes. it was really. that was one of the goals. and so in the fact that people can't figure out on the show, is that making the dream come true, that people are unable to figure that out?

W: well I think it's happened for sure... I mean I know.. my best friend, his mom is 65 in montana, and she's watching she's trying to guess, she's like, wait, is he gay? is he straight? I don't know, but the fact that she's watching, you know, that's the fascinating part. she's so conservative, but she's tuned in. that's what so great about this show.

A: and the thing about it too is that this is happening at a time, will and grace, big debates about gay marriage. people actually talking about it. this is happening at a time when there's been so much, i guess, awakening, rethinking about how people look at gay people. does that give you a great feeling? or-- how are you reacting to that james?

J: personally I think it's just great that we can even have a show like this, that we can be on THIS show. we can be out there speaking, not for gay people, or for um tolerance, I guess, but just speaking, period.

A: and to be heard. actually.

B. yes, and finally to give gay culture a voice. and you know and be seen out there in main stream america.

F: especially middle america, which is where I think the show is really directed at.

A: and are they watching? I mean, have you heard? is middle america watching?

W: absolutely, message boards, people calling places we've worked before, they're all out there, all dying to know.. what's happening tonight, 9 o'clock on bravo, and how we're still doing? it's great.

A: so james, this has got to be tough for you. I mean how is it? how're you gonna make your decision?

J: well, I already made my decision. I just went with my feelings.

A: uh huh. well, i don't know what your decision is.. you gonna tell us? which one of you is straight? (looks to the other three)

W: who's the straight one? (wes looks toward his right to the other two, franklin looks to his right at brian, they all look back at ann.)

B: I don't know (smiling,shrugging)

J: Which is the straight one? Straight guy stand up! (gestures to stand up)

The three look to each other ("stand up?"), and they all stand up

(everyone laughs)

J: it didn't work, I'm sorry...

(they sit down, franklin pats brian's knee.)

A: well I guess the rest of us are gonna have to tune in til tonight. thank you so much, wes franklin brian, for joining us and you too james. and every best wish in the future in all this, we'll have to find out what that future is. and you can catch the season finale of bmb tonight at 9 o'clock eastern time.

Thanks so much for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by foody
    For all those who wanted to see the Today show appearance of the BMB finalists and James, here is a transcript of what happened --- sent to me by a friend who was crazy enough to write it out!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by boynextdoor0
    Thanks so much for posting it.
    hey, i'm happy to! you're welcome!

I wonder if seeing this interview has changed anyone's mind about their guesses....

They all looked very yummy, and were grinning from ear to ear the entire time. I think Ann also was just going gaga over these cute men -- who would blame her? (And she's not so bad herself!)

The other thing to note -- someone pointed out that Franklin was the only one not to speak out about 'being heard', but he was also the only one who did most of the touching... ???

I think I'll stick with my guesses for now, but it was fun to watch them in 'real life', in a setting different from the one on the show.

FORT Newbie
    Yes thank you foody, because my ass overslept this morning. Hmmm...Franklin said nothing? Well all he has to do is look good anyway. I wouldn't mind if he touched me in a few places.
    Last edited by Poot; 09-02-2003 at 02:19 PM.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Poot
    Yes thank you foody, because my ass overslept this morning. Hmmm...Franklin said nothing? Well all he has to do is look good anyway. I wouldn't mind if he touched me in a few places.
    well he did speak up to support what Brian was saying about having a voice:

Brian: yes, and finally to give gay culture a voice. and you know and be seen out there in main stream america.

Franklin: especially middle america, which is where I think the show is really directed at.

but that was pretty much it. He looked REAL good. This boy is almost too goodlooking! it hurts...my......eyes......!!! I wouldn't be surprised if someone asked him to model for something.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast