+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How the "twist" would affect viewing

How the "twist" would affect viewing

the twist = some mates (7 of 15) are straight

IMO, it doesn't seem like this twist would reign in that many more viewers but maybe i'm a bit dumb about this.... i don't think many folks who are basically anti-gay are going to be tuning in due to the twist

seems to me, the audience is and would be:

1) gay & bi
    2) curious & closeted
    3) gay-friendly
    4) reality junkies

was the twist really necessary to gain any significant audience?
    can you help me OUT?

The producers/network execs are rumored to have been going after the straight female audience. I suppose the twist means that straight women can hope Franklin really leans their way...

-- Joe

I happen to know a lot of straight women that watch the show. And trust me, they would be watching it even if straight guys weren't involved. :0) Although I don't really think that the twist was neccasary to gain viewers, what's a reality tv show these days without an evil twist?

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh! Boy
    was the twist really necessary to gain any significant audience?
    perhaps it's a participation thing -- the audience doens't just watch, but also gets to try and guess who is what. and you know how opinionated people can get when they have theories about people they see on tv! Otherwise, with no sex, no cat-fighting, and no eating worms, they probably would have thought this show was too tame. You get a lot of discussion and controversy by putting that twist in, which could drive ratings up....?

19th or 14th Century/depending on how I feel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jopfans
    I happen to know a lot of straight women that watch the show. And trust me, they would be watching it even if straight guys weren't involved. :0) Although I don't really think that the twist was neccasary to gain viewers, what's a reality tv show these days without an evil twist?
    This 60-year-old straight grandmother would be watching!

good point

someone said elsewhere that gaydar testing increased interest... probably true

the twist was probably necessary to grab some of the reality junkies market as well
    can you help me OUT?

As scary as this is I think the producers thought (at least wanted to be able to argue) that they were taking the high road by presenting a show that supposedly broke down barriers by proving that you can't really tell the difference between gays/heteros- of course every minute of filming proves what crap that is and they just wanted their own gimmick.
    everybody has the right to speak their mind, so don't shoot me if I speak mine- ray davies

19th or 14th Century/depending on how I feel
    Quote Originally Posted by 1083
    As scary as this is I think the producers thought (at least wanted to be able to argue) that they were taking the high road by presenting a show that supposedly broke down barriers by proving that you can't really tell the difference between gays/heteros- of course every minute of filming proves what crap that is and they just wanted their own gimmick.

Some people who have the barriers won't watch the show (or Queer Eye) because "queers are unnatural and against the Bible". A quote from a friend of mine.

ant
    FORT Fan
    interesting that you should post that here.
    matt's website (go and check it out and join the fun/excitement- there's 5 bmb members posting and counting - please click below):
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boy_Meets_Boy/

quite true alix..... but i spose you could believe that they thought they were taking the "first step" by getting a gay-dating show to actually air

but i don't set much faith in the TV industry for doing something for a purpose other than to make money
    can you help me OUT?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast