+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Bravo & producers manipulate viewers

FORT Newbie

How Bravo & producers manipulate viewers

On Bravo's BMB website, the photo gallery for 'episode 5' shows 4 photos of James on his date with Franklin, 4 photos of his date with Brian, and 8 photos of his date with Wes. There are also not 1, not 2, but 3 additional photos of Wes crying at the beginning of the show - no other photos of the other 2 finalists appear in the episode 5 gallery. Episode 5 photo tally = Franklin 4, Brian 4, Wes 11.

The last photo of the date with Franklin has the caption "The night ends with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. This lack of intamacy (Bravo's mispelling) raises a red flag with James as he searches for clues on who the straight mate is." The photo selected for Franklin makes him look particularly uncomfortable. Photo #3 in the Franklin series shows Franklin touching the hand of James, but their hands are somewhat obscured behind a drinking glass. No mention of the touching hands in the caption. Wasn't there a closeup of the hand-touching in the actual show?

The last photo of the date with Brian has the caption "James and Brian share a goodbye hug at the end of their date. We later learn that Brian and James kissed off-camera." The final photo of the "hug" is taken from a great distance away (you can't even identify their faces in it). How is it that the camera manages to miss the kiss? The camera seems to be present for everything else, including Franklin eyeing James' backside in the changing room at the spa, (not to mention Dan pressing his ass up against the shower door glass earlier on) but misses the kiss between Brian and James? Give me a break.

The last of the 8 photos of the date with Wes is subtitled with the caption "The night ends with a romantic goodnight kiss." Major close-up on the kiss.

Then there's Bravo's narrative of the events of Episode 5 (http://www.bravotv.com/Boy_Meets_Boy...es/index.shtml). Notice how they relate the story of date with Brian using emotionless language, ("James and Brian head out for an early morning balloon ride. After a slightly bumpy takeoff, the rest of the date is smooth sailing. The afternoon continues with breakfast at a nearby resort and concludes with a quick kiss goodbye.") and pump up the language when describing the date with Wes ("The final one-on-one is a night out with Wes, starting with a spectacular view of the valley. As the sun begins to set, the guys depart their limo for a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride. The journey ends back at the Leading Man's house for a candle-lit, poolside dinner. Things heat up - literally - as a table full of candles ignites. Other kinds of sparks fly as James and Wes hold hands and share a goodnight kiss.").

This all makes me wonder how else we, as viewers, are being manipulated. I think I remember that in at least 2 of the earlier elimination rounds, Dani called each of the contestants by announcing their names without comment, except for Wes, who she referred to as "the lovely Wes". Does anyone remember her saying "And now for the lovely Franklin, or the lovely Brian?" Hmmm...maybe she did and I'm just not remembering it.

On to the final show...

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolMeOnce
    Does anyone remember her saying "And now for the lovely Franklin, or the lovely Brian?" Hmmm...maybe she did and I'm just not remembering it.
    I'm pretty certain she once said "the lovely Robb" - an odd phrase, so I noticed it later when she referred to "the lovely Wes."

And last night they certainly made Brian's date sound very boring, while the other two dates were made to sound romantic.

It's like watching a train wreck. Since my favorite guys are gone (except for James), it's also a whole lot less fun to watch. Not to mention which, how much fun is it for James now? He thought he would be getting to know three nice guys better and to decide which he likes best, and instead he's forced to use his time to figure out who has been lying to him.

FORT Newbie
    Yes, the 'narrative' that we are being fed has always been the James/Wes story. Whether this is to set us up for a 'surprise' or (this _is_ a gay producer) a lead-in to a 'happy ending' is anyone's guess. The obnoxious thing is that it is abundantly clear that we _are_ watching a staged story, rather than being able to get into the _natural_ (melo)drama that would result from someone as likeable as James simply picking from such a diverse group of guys.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolMeOnce
    ...We later learn that Brian and James kissed off-camera." The final photo of the "hug" is taken from a great distance away (you can't even identify their faces in it). How is it that the camera manages to miss the kiss? The camera seems to be present for everything else, including Franklin eyeing James' backside in the changing room at the spa, (not to mention Dan pressing his ass up against the shower door glass earlier on) but misses the kiss between Brian and James? Give me a break...
    Really interesting breakdown, FoolMeOnce. I'll have to check that out.

BTW, I think the Brian/James kiss was on camera -- it was when they got out of the limo when James dropped Brian off. As they embraced for a hug right outside the open door of the limo, they did a fly-by mouth-to-mouth -- a kiss, but quite quick. And the camera is a distance away, so it's hard to tell.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by foody
    Really interesting breakdown, FoolMeOnce. I'll have to check that out.

BTW, I think the Brian/James kiss was on camera -- it was when they got out of the limo when James dropped Brian off. As they embraced for a hug right outside the open door of the limo, they did a fly-by mouth-to-mouth -- a kiss, but quite quick. And the camera is a distance away, so it's hard to tell.
    foody, I think you're right about the kiss. I thought I remembered seeing it too, but then I was thrown off by Bravo's write-up on their own website. This means that they are being even more manipulative, because they are using their PR machine to consciously downplay the kiss with Brian. Why else would they say "James and Brian share a goodbye hug at the end of their date. We later learn that Brian and James kissed off-camera.", when in fact they kissed on-camera? It seems that Bravo is consciously directing their website viewers, along with their tv viewers, to focus all of the "heat" on Wes.

Quote Originally Posted by foody

+ Reply to Thread