+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Could the 'not-gay' mate be bi?

FORT Newbie

Could the 'not-gay' mate be bi?

New to this forum and perhaps this has been discussed...but could the one mate (gosh I hate the use of that term) that is 'not-gay' be bisexual? That might apply to Franklin!

ant
    FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander73
    New to this forum and perhaps this has been discussed...but could the one mate (gosh I hate the use of that term) that is 'not-gay' be bisexual? That might apply to Franklin!
    shouldn't michael fit this category unless he was lying about his gay experiences as well? he did choose straight as his sex preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander73

Anything's possible, but Dani did specifically say to James that one of the mates is straight, not "likes girls" or other evasive dialog. So at this point, whichever mate it is identifies as straight, not bi, or at least did so to the producers during auditions.

-- Joe

Fell in love with a boy.. realitynut95's Avatar
    personally i think that all of them (and by them i mean the "straight" guys) are bi! most if not all of the straight guys i know are way too homophobic to pretend that they are gay on tv even if it is for $25,000

FORT Newbie
    But I guess that was the 3rd or 4th aim of BMB -- to make it okay for guys to not feel so inhibited by what society expects of them. Even though this show was conniving in its intent, it still hit on a progressive issue that got swept under the rug. It's okay for straight guys and gay guys to be JUST friends.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by realitynut95
    personally i think that all of them (and by them i mean the "straight" guys) are bi! most if not all of the straight guys i know are way too homophobic to pretend that they are gay on tv even if it is for $25,000
    I think it's just the opposite RN95. I have a theory that there are as
    few 100 per cent straight men as there are 100 per cent gay men, let's
    say 5 per cent of each for the sake of argument. The 90 per cent in
    between are all bi. Also for the sake of argument say that that group
    is divided 30-30-30 per cent: gay-leaning bi, half-n-half bi, and straight-
    leaning bi. This latter group is not likely to have any gay experiences,
    except the common adolescent type. The "closet" is a construct that
    was designed with the middle group particularly in mind, to shame them
    into not experimenting with "the wild side," so to speak. I think it's this
    group that is the most homophobic, because they have the tendency,
    but have heeded society's taboo. Men who are 100 per cent straight
    are actually the least homophobic you'll meet, because they are
    usually considered a man's man by everyone who knows them, they have
    absolutely no sexual attraction to men, and they are not threatened by
    a man who hits on them; usually they'll just say "no thanks, not my cup
    of tea." But I agree that most of the "straight" men on BMB are bi, if not completely closted gay. KEN

FORT Regular
    Interesting discussion. Although I doubt the percentages are right, I generally agree with the concept -- at least when talking about experience and capacity for response. I do, however, support everyone's right to self-identify however they want.

It occurs to me that men have to get over a larger cultural hurdle than women do. So a straight leaning bi woman -- to use Ken's terminology -- can experiment much more easily than can a straight-leaning bi man, or even a half-n-half man.

19th or 14th Century/depending on how I feel
    It occurs to me that men have to get over a larger cultural hurdle than women do. So a straight leaning bi woman -- to use Ken's terminology -- can experiment much more easily than can a straight-leaning bi man, or even a half-n-half man.[/QUOTE]

I can comment on the cultural hurdle a bit. Being older, I can remember that when I was younger, two women sharing a home brought very few comments. However, two men were assumed to be gay (although the word used at that time was not gay) if they lived together.

FORT Regular
    alixtheweaver, my parents bought our family home from a gay couple in 1968. They had bought it briefly to redecorate and turn a quick profit between the last family and ours. My mom said nobody would buy it because it looked like a bordello (curtains that didn't open?! And red velvet everywhere!) It took her forever to figure out that they were gay. It didn't even enter her mind for a long time -- that's how not-on-the-cultural-radar-screen it was (for her, anyway).

Then again, it was the straight acting one who dealt with them... she only met the other guy one time, and apparently he was flaming!

Anyway, I'm just theorizing that the average man has to have more gay leanings than the average woman to actually have the guts to try it out. So a man has to be "gayer" before he'll actually "jump the fence" (on average.) Does that make sense?

DFE
    FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by realKen
    I think it's just the opposite RN95. I have a theory that there are as
    few 100 per cent straight men as there are 100 per cent gay men, . KEN

There have been many studies done on this, and the general concensus among sex researchers is that people exist a long a specturm of degrees of attraction to the same sex. At one end of the spectrum is the no matter what would never be attracted to the same sex and the other end could never be intrested in the opposite sex. Most people are capable of being attracted to someone of the same sex to one degree or another, but for the most part are primarily attracted to the opposite sex. That may mean that a man spends a life time attracted to women but with one special male friend he experiences a special relationship that ends up being expressed sexually. People are diverse and wonderful creatures, whose reality often resists the tidy catagories that society tries to force them inot In our society, where many people have been conditioned to feel disgust at same sex attractions, it is often difficult to differentiate between natural preferences and society induced nerotic reactions. It is one thing to say, I kissed someone of the same sex and it didn't do anything for me, and quite another to say the thought of it makes me what to puke. If there were absolutely no stigmas associated with same sex relations, there is little doubt that most people would experiment with both sexes at some point.

+ Reply to Thread