Thread: eliminated gay mate Jason: very interesting article

ant

eliminated gay mate Jason: very interesting article

It kills some of the misconceptions...

NATIONAL NEWS

Navy expels sailor who appeared on Bravo show
    Gay contestant on ‘Boy Meets Boy’ came out to supervisors before show aired

By BILL ROUNDY

SAN DIEGO — The television gay dating game “Boy Meets Boy” may be counting on a dramatic conclusion in next week’s final episode, but one of its most intriguing developments already took place, off-camera.

One contestant, a gay combat systems instructor for the Navy, was discharged from the military for violating the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy.

“I was fully aware of what would happen,” Michael Jason Tiner said in an interview from his San Diego home. Tiner was identified on the show by his middle name Jason. “I was ready for it.”

The show features 15 men competing for the heart of James, the “leading man,” as well as a trip with him to New Zealand. But seven of the contestants are straight men who will win a cash prize if James chooses them, though he doesn’t know their sexual orientation.

There are still three suitors remaining; two of them are gay and one is straight.

Many viewers assumed that Tiner, as an active member of the military, must be one of the straight contestants. But when the Southern-accented sailor was eliminated during the first episode, his gay identity was revealed.

The results were predictable: The first episode aired July 29, and Tiner’s discharge from the Navy became effective Aug. 19.

Tiner, 26, was with the military for eight years and taught at the Navy’s Submarine Learning Center in San Diego. He was open about his sexual orientation to family members, but said that coming out on national TV was just a matter of fairness.

“The reason I did the show is that I felt if anyone had a right to go on the show, then I did,” Tiner said. “I should have all the rights that the other 14 guys have. I was comfortable enough with who I am and with my sexuality that I was ready to face the consequences.”

According to Lt. Commander Gary Kirchner of the Navy Information Office, another sailor recognized Tiner on a commercial for “Boy Meets Boy” several days before the first episode aired.

Shortly thereafter, Tiner “informed his command that he was participating in the show and that he was a homosexual,” Kirchner said. The administrative process to remove him from the Navy for violating the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy began immediately.

Kirchner said Tiner cooperated with the process and received an honorable discharge.

Steve Ralls, director of communications for the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, a group that advocates for gay members of the military, said that the discharge was predictable but regrettable.

“I think it’s another example of the ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ policy costing the military a valuable service member,” Ralls said. “Had this been a heterosexual service member on a heterosexual dating show, nothing would have happened. It clearly shows the discrimination faced by gay and lesbian service members every day.”

Some critics criticize “Boy Meets Boy,” which airs on NBC sibling Bravo, for being mean-spirited by tricking its leading man into believing all of his suitors are gay.

But Tiner said that there was no deception in his case, and that producers treated him well.

“They all knew, and I told them what the consequences would be,” Tiner said. “They said, ‘Are you sure you want to do this? Are you sure?’ And I was.”

Tiner was recruited for the show at a gay bar. After an interview, he also went through a medical, personality and IQ test. Contestants also spoke with a psychiatrist.

“I’m sure that they wanted to make sure everyone was mentally stable, so when they found out there were straight people there nobody went postal on them,” Tiner said.

Now that he’s been discharged, Tiner plans to work at a local gym and attend college full-time.

“It was a great experience,” Tiner said. “I met some great, great people, and we still keep in touch. … I gained a couple of really great friends from the show. And it was fun.”

Oh! Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by ant
    “The reason I did the show is that I felt if anyone had a right to go on the show, then I did,” Tiner said. “I should have all the rights that the other 14 guys have. I was comfortable enough with who I am and with my sexuality that I was ready to face the consequences.”
    for Jason

ant
    i'm glad things are looking good for jay. he seems like a very good guy.

YankeeMate
    Quote Originally Posted by ant
    “It was a great experience,” Tiner said. “I met some great, great people, and we still keep in touch. … I gained a couple of really great friends from the show. And it was fun.”
    I was so disappointed to see Jason go because I'm a very shy guy, an observer, and to see him eliminated because he was invisible to the leading man... I can totally relate! Glad his outlook is so positive.

basiema
    He was quite attractive. And I'm sure he was attractive to lots of people because he was approached by producers and eventually picked to be on this show.
    Last edited by lobeck; 08-22-2003 at 04:46 PM.

BMBFAN
    I think he's a very cute guy and on top of that, he's someone that has a lot of courage to come out on a national televison show and say that he's gay. Especially when he knew it would cost him his Navy career.

I never watch the TV show JAG, but did you know a character on the show has the name Jason Tiner? He is played by Chuck Carrington.

Jason Tiner - Chuck Carrington
    Last edited by lobeck; 08-22-2003 at 04:47 PM.

Mr. Obvious
    Coincidence!

I'm glad for Jason. He made this whole experience a positive one for him.

ant
    jay definitely has a lot of great qualities in him. i wish i can do bald then i'd be a happy man. don't have to worry about anything. just get up and go.

Poot
    Yeah man, but that's beat up. His accent killed me because that Southern boy twang made my underwear crumble up. I'm gonna find Jason and......................
    Seriously, I'm glad he's doing okay. Damn that Bill Clinton.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast