+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: eliminated gay mate Jason: very interesting article

FORT Fan
    Well its not only James that proved the ridiculousness of this policy -look at Reichen from Amazing Race -are you telling me the armed forces couldnt benefit from a competitor like this? Gimme a break. The homophobia of Americans and the religous right needs to end. If Israel which has one of the most dynamic and strong militaries in the world can deal with gays in the military, the US should be able to as well. Sounds like this guy wanted to get out anyway so it wasnt really a big deal... Remember a few years back on Real World - N ew Orleans - Danny was dating a guy in the military and they never showed his face - he was always blacked out so that his military career wouldnt be affected.

FORT Fan
    Retired Navy judge denounces 'don't ask'

SUMMARY: The former head of the U.S. Navy (news - web sites)'s legal services has published a strong denunciation of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy in a national law journal.

The former head of the U.S. Navy's legal services has published a strong denunciation of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy in the current issue of the National Law Journal.

According to the Santa Barbara, Calif.-based Center for the Study of Sexual Minorities in the Military, Rear Admiral John D. Hutson writes that although he supported the restrictions on gays in the military when the policy was first introduced in 1993, he now believes it does more harm than good. In the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Lawrence v. Texas, Hutson says the policy is no longer tenable.

Admiral Hutson served as the Navy's judge advocate general before retiring in 2000.

In 1993, Hutson told the center in a recent interview, "we thought the sky could fall" if the ban on gay service members was completely dropped. "That was then, and this is now," he continued. "I am now convinced, as I was not then, that the military could survive" if the ban is lifted.

Beyond that, Hutson says that dropping the ban "on balance now would serve a greater good, and in many respects would foster cohesion. ? There is right now what I perceive to be this blemish on (the armed forces), and it ought to be removed. And if it is removed, ultimately the military would feel better about itself and it would be held in even higher regard by removing this fundamental unfairness for a fairly significant population in the country."

Hutson acknowledged that since "don't ask, don't tell" has been codified by an act of Congress, it will be necessary for Congress to repeal the law. However, the admiral told his interviewer that a recommendation from the Defense Department could impress lawmakers.

"If the Department of Defense puts up enough of a squawk," Hutson speculated, "Congress would not stand in the way."

Quote Originally Posted by Phlex
    I wonder if he would have risked his career if he had known that the whole thing was a big setup for a cruel hoax on James?
    Sure puts the "twist" in perspective doesn't it? Who is risking the most?
    The straight guys? Hey, it's only $25,000 after all and there is all that
    free publicity for their acting careers

I remember being sad that Jason had been eliminated so early because it seemed likely someone in the political/military complex would consider this "telling."

I am angry at this stupid policy, but I'm "preaching to the choir" here.
    I'll write my senator instead.
    And straight on towards morning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123