+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: eliminated gay mate Jason: very interesting article

ant
    FORT Fan

this was from e!

this boy was fired because he's gay... wow! thus bravo once again comes out as a winner for the sake of ratings war.

"Boy Meets Boy," Loses Job

by Lia Haberman
    Aug 22, 2003, 5:00 PM PT

One step forward and two steps back.

While gay couple Reichen and Chip celebrate Thursday's victory on CBS' reality series The Amazing Race, the Navy has expelled one of its own for appearing on Bravo's gay romantic reality show Boy Meets Boy, reports San Diego's Southern Voice.

Michael Tiner, who went by his middle name Jason on the show, was discharged from the Navy for violating its "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy toward sexual orientation.

"I was ready for it," said the combat systems instructor. "I was comfortable enough with who I am and with my sexuality that I was ready to face the consequences.”

Some worry the move could hamper the positive visibility gay men and lesbians have achieved on reality series.

"Unfortunately, what [reality show] applicants can learn from this is be careful because your livelihood is at stake," said Scott Seomin, entertainment media director at the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

"The consensus among viewers of Will & Grace and Queer Eye for the Straight Guy is that all is well in the world for gay men and lesbians and that is not that case," said Seomin.

As part of Boy Meets Boy's twist, Tiner's sexuality on the series was ambiguous--he could have been one of several heterosexual contestants--but after he was rejected by the leading man, James, Tiner's orientation was revealed.

According to the Southern Voice, the 26-year-old had already alerted his commanding officer by the time the first episode aired on July 29. The move to expel Tiner began immediately and became effective August 19. He received an honorable discharge.

Bravo refused to comment on Tiner's discharge on Friday.

The former Navy man also revealed that all the contestants were required to meet with a psychiatrist in part, he believed, "to make sure everyone was mentally stable, so when they found out there were straight people there nobody went postal on them."

Click to see Spoiler:

Meanwhile, Reichen Lehmkuhl and Chip Arndt used their victory on CBS Thursday as a platform to encourage the belief that gay people were as capable and have the same values and goals as everyone else.

The duo won the contest's $1 million prize after being the first team to cross the finish line in Phoenix. Twelve teams raced around the world, from Los Angeles and through Europe, India, Malaysia, Korea and Australia, to make it to the finish line.

Lehmkuhl, a graduate of the Air Force Academy and a former Air Force officer, will appear in an upcoming documentary that investigates the military's 10-year-old "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, the Washington, D.C., based Servicemembers Legal Defense Network announced Friday.

"The Pentagon is firing three people every day simply because of their sexual orientation," Lehmkuhl said in a SLDN press release. "If the same thing were happening in corporate America, most citizens would be rightfully outraged. The fact that our nation's largest employer discriminates against gay Americans under the sanction of federal law is equally appalling."
    Last edited by ant; 08-22-2003 at 09:36 PM.

GEEZ! WARN US BEFORE YOU POST AMAZING RACE SPOILERS IN A BMB THREAD!!!!!!!

I was saving that for tonight!!!

-- Joe

ant
    FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by jsciv
    GEEZ! WARN US BEFORE YOU POST AMAZING RACE SPOILERS IN A BMB THREAD!!!!!!!

I was saving that for tonight!!!

-- Joe
    what spoiler? chip and ren won... it's news all over...

Quote Originally Posted by ant
    what spoiler? chip and ren won... it's news all over...
    No, I avoided anything labelled "Amazing Race" or any place where I've seen mention of it all day because I wanted to wait until tonight. It's not a major life-threatening disappointment, but I am a little miffed that you just posted it without any warning whatsoever in an unrelated thread. At least go edit the thing to mention the spoilers, please? Then others who might be waiting can be warned. Thanks.

-- Joe

ant
    FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by jsciv
    No, I avoided anything labelled "Amazing Race" or any place where I've seen mention of it all day because I wanted to wait until tonight. It's not a major life-threatening disappointment, but I am a little miffed that you just posted it without any warning whatsoever in an unrelated thread. At least go edit the thing to mention the spoilers, please? Then others who might be waiting can be warned. Thanks.

-- Joe
    ok i didn't realize what you're saying i apologize... edited as requested

I'm probably the only one who cares anyway.

-- Joe

I'd have sworn the show described him as 'former' military (I guess he effectively was).

I wonder how much interest this story will get.
    Last edited by ilean4clay; 08-23-2003 at 12:32 AM.

FORT Fan
    I wasnt really surprised when I heard this; I predicted this before. In fact, at first I was surprised when he said he was gay because I figured if he were really gay and in the military, hed be discharged due to the 'dont ask, dont tell' policy. Thats why originally I thought he was probably straight... Its sad that in the USA in the year 2003, this is still the case, esp when militaries around the world - including UK, even Israel - allow gays and lesbians to serve openly... The military is losing more and more qualified people - look at Reichen himself was in the AirForce. Its just silly.

If a guy is frightened by a gay guy in his platoon or sharing a shower with a guy he knows is gay, then how do we expect him to fight the Iraquis, kill Saddam and find Osama bin Laden. With 9-11 etc. we should be looking at people for the quality of their actions - I bet no one complained when a gay firefighter or cop risked his/her life to save them

FORT Newbie
    I wonder if he would have risked his career if he had known that the whole thing was a big setup for a cruel hoax on James?

ant
    FORT Fan

kudos to j

i feel personally what j did has brought awareness and that being gay in military can never be with its "don't ask, don't tell" crap policy. it's very interesting. how that policy is a proverbial rock and a hard place - what would happen if everyone knew - you'd turn into a pillar of salt or something. it's very sad that this treatment still exists. "i come out but you just suck me back right in." we're reminded that it's a loop back in time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast