+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would YOU have done?

FORT Newbie
    In James's position, I would say "Tell me who the straight guy is, or I walk." If walking is contractually forbidden, I would instead threaten to make the rest of the show unwatchable simply by not even feigning any further interest in the proceedings. You can make James stay, but you can't make him perform if he doesn't want to.

The movie-version scenario, though, is that James's mind works quickly, and after he says "Wow" he says, "I was sure I'd eliminated all the straight guys." Then he hints that someone on the crew was leaking information. When the producers want to know who, he offers to trade that information for the name of the last straight guy. He gets that name, then reveals that he's played the producers for suckers just as they played him.

Have I mentioned that I think the producers of this program are utterly despicable for contriving this setup? Worse than _any_ of the guys, straight or gay, who were toying with James; for the 'mates' were not, after all, the ones who thought this scheme up. For whatever it's worth, other 'reality' (hah!) shows with 'a twist' (what you do with a knife) like Joe Millionaire are just as bad.

I would have politely told Dani to take a walk, corralled the producers and asked if there was more than one straight on the show, then I would say many words my mom would not aprove of, get Andra and pack-see yaaaaaaaaaa.
    everybody has the right to speak their mind, so don't shoot me if I speak mine- ray davies

Here's what I would have done as James:

1. Resist the immediate temptation to beat the crap out of Dani.

2. Consult with Andra, get on the phone with an attorney from the law firm that we work for, explain to he/she what has happened, and ask for free legal representation (most firms offer this already to their employees). Note: I personally have worked in the legal field before and it is a widely shared belief among lawyers that contracts are made to be broken. Any decent attorney should be able to find a loop hole in the BMB contract.

3. Get all the mates full names and phone numbers.

4. Give the producers the finger and "get out of Dodge" asap i.e. Go Home.

5. Sue the BMB producers and Bravo/NBC to block BMB from ever airing. After all, James is going to known as "the dumb homo with no gaydar" for the rest of his life. My reputation and my family's reputation means everything to me and I would do just about anything to preserve it.

6. Call Franklin and pray that he is actually gay!!!

Sean

FORT Fan
    None of us can really say what we'd do in that position because we havent had cameras and boom mikes in our face for a week and we havent been on TV when something like this happens - and we really dont know the entirety of what went on due to editing. What we do konw from interviews James did was that he was very angry - so angry that he gave negative statemtents to the press - something Bravo probably wasnt thrilled about... That being said, anyone who signs up for reality TV or goes on a daytime talk show has to be prepared to be surprised or stuff like t hat - otherwise they are very very naive - and this just goes to sh ow you that producers are out to create drama and make money - not to find you a boyfriend or girlfriend. Plus many people dont want to appear too emotional on TV and just hide their feelings - they dont want to seem too emotional or feel that the producers will get mad at them.. (see the Jenny Jones murder situation where Jon Schmitz claimed he felt intimidated and that he wouldnt walk off the set etc...) Producers also have a way of intimidating guests --- I know all this because Ive been a publicist on many of these shows and eventually quit due to the way I saw people being treated and the types of slime that worked on some of these programs. My friends thought I was crazy for giving up a cushy job with a nice paycheck - even a tv in my office - but I just couldnt live with myself and my integrity was more important - how rare these days. I also refused to appear on shows when it was offered to me and said I would never sign a release form - plus I turned down an offer to become a producer due to the fact I knew I wouldnt like misleading people or strong arming them to do things I didnt want - Bookers like this are really like used car salesman sometimes..

James got publicity and the chance to be on camera and have a b unch of guys fighting for him... To some extent, there was a part of him that wanted that - Someone who would be very sh y would never agree to do something like this..

FORT Fan
    Sometimes youre in shock when hearing news like this and it takes you time to process it and figure out what youd do... Almost like when theres a death - some people dont exhibit emotions right away but have a delayed reaction. I know I was like that when my father died...

If I were J ames, Id look the finalists in the eye - and ask them if they were straight - and ask them if theyve ever lied to me during the last week - and see how they answered those questions and what kind of gut feeling Id get from th em.. Id hope I could see through the fake person

FORT Fan
    Btw, Im sure the contract James signed forbids him of doing some of the things suggested on the thread - I know contracts that guests signed on shows I worked on actually threatened them with a lawsuit for th e costs of production if they did anything like walk off etc... Also lets say he did have that type of reaction - which we may or may not know and which might or might not be shown on TV --- producers would take him aside and explain the purpose of the show and really work on him to convince him about continuing - these people are VERY VERY PERSUASIVE - thats part of their job and Ive seen in happen before my eyes... THeyd tell him about how this is going to be such a step forward for gay rights - how the straights were doing th is to prove a point about debumking stereotypes - how he has so much to gain from this - how they never intended to hurt him - etc etc etc...

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonsinclair
    Btw, Im sure the contract James signed forbids him of doing some of the things suggested on the thread - I know contracts that guests signed on shows I worked on actually threatened them with a lawsuit for th e costs of production if they did anything like walk off etc... Also lets say he did have that type of reaction - which we may or may not know and which might or might not be shown on TV --- producers would take him aside and explain the purpose of the show and really work on him to convince him about continuing - these people are VERY VERY PERSUASIVE - thats part of their job and Ive seen in happen before my eyes... THeyd tell him about how this is going to be such a step forward for gay rights - how the straights were doing th is to prove a point about debumking stereotypes - how he has so much to gain from this - how they never intended to hurt him - etc etc etc...
    If kissing was permitted, Franklin would have no trouble with that. He probably would have no trouble having sex with James. Franklin and Wes are both out to win at almost any cost, which is why the next episode is so interesting to think about. James and Wes are never truly alone, if they did get a few moments I am sure he would dis Franklin.

I don't know if kissing can be used as an indication of who's gay or straight anymore. The straight actors on queer as folk seem to particpate in their fair share of male on male action trying to make it as believable as possible. I guess if the money's good, people will go to just about any length.

I kinda feel bad for Dani having to be the one to deliver the news. She seemed to have to struggle to give James the news and I would bet away from the camera's she must have had her own words with the folks in charge. I don't envy her job at all.

If I had been James...I just wouldn't know how to react. It would take a while for me just to take it all in and digest all the info, and thoughts would just be FLYING through my head and my heart would be beating a million MPH...Much like James' reaction that was shown at the end of last Tuesday's episode. "Can I really believe that there is only ONE straight guy out of the 15 to begin with?" "What would happen if I picked the straight guy?" "Franklin must be straight! No, it has to be Brian, because he's a bartender! Or is it Wes?" So many things would be flying through my head...So James' reaction made perfect sense to me. Andra does seem quite visibly shaken and upset, and if I had been in her spot, I think I would have reacted the same way.

.: Estella and Bob found love on The Bachelor! :.
    .: Ryan O. will mount an upset on Survivor: Pearl Islands :.
    .: Brian H. did not find love on Boy Meets Boy :.
    .: Dawn Marie did not win 1 million dollars on The Family :.
    .: Kelly and Jon did NOT win TAR :.
    .: Congrats to Reichen and Chip! :.
    .: Rocco DiSpirito will be fired from Rocco's :.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    Imagine you're James:

Now James, apparently in a state of shock, only says, "Wow..."
    But, you're NOT James.
    So, the question is: What do you think YOU would have done???
    In my opinion, James' reaction was perfect. If this had been a movie, I would have thought he was a superb actor. A friend pointed out (and maybe also I read it somewhere on this message board) that, when Dani said "One of them is straight," he got a very cold look in his eyes. When he said "Wow" with that smile, you knew he was processing the information, figuring out why some of the guys seemed uncomfortable, realizing that the gay producer had lied to him. Even though you have to expect crap like this if you are willing to be on one of these "reality" dating shows, still it must have been like a punch to the gut. I feel for James but also admire his restraint. I would have flipped out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast