+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad BOY/S Bravo execs!

FORT Newbie
    Just because I'm curious, and very into this, does Bravo/NBC have marketing data available on how they decided to aim for that particular demographic? And is it working? I imagine that with similar demographic success with Will and Grace and Queer as Folk, it may be just assumed, but I'd like to see the numbers all the same. I find the whole concept extremely intriguing considering that that demographic is usually considered poison for gay issues, especially gay actors.

The female audience

While I'm glad that they did put the show on at all, I wonder what made Bravo think that it would be a show that would appeal to the female market they were seeking? Andra was essentially a supporting character, and there's no way that Dani Behr, or whatever her name was, could appeal to much of anyone except an audience that is attracted to slutty-looking bleached blondes with ambiguous Brit accents.

All of which makes me return to my previously stated idea --- why not do another BMB-type show, this time with a Leading Man whose sexuality is ambiguous and let men AND women compete for him? That way, they might be able to get the female market AND the gay market.

Or better still, do a reality show which involves gay men in mixed-orientation marriages. That way, you have your gay audience involved and the worried wives who turn to television reality shows to deal with concerns about their marriages --- in other words, the Springer crowd. LOL!

Lolasdad: While I don't doubt that there are no current plans for Bravo to do another BMB, this is Hollywood, so I do expect that the producers wouldn't mind making another, and that MTV or someone else who DOES want to court the gay audience would be interested in BMB (or something like it, since I assume Bravo holds the trademark on the name). And Bravo/NBC could always go back at the end of the summer and say "BMB and Queer Eye strengthened each other" or something like that and/or decide to go after the gay demo after all.

So while I believe your statements, I do expext that there will be a next time for a gay-themed dating show.

-- Joe

ant
    FORT Fan

To lolasdad

Yes I second once more jsciv's sentiments. The gay population is a formidable force. It's a profit magnet. To allude to Lolasdad's response to say that Bravo would not want to associate itself as a gay network is rather a tad prententious. NBC who owns Bravo is gay friendly and Bravo celebrates its successful run 'Queer Eye For The Straight Guy'. Now don't tell me that there won't be another run of QEFTSG because it's a ratings winner. In fact I know that they're in talks on having it on its national parent channel NBC. Bravo doesn't want to run BMB again because it wasn't such a ratings winner. I mean compared to QEFTSG. So for Lolasdad to be making insinuating statements about Bravo TV's culture is slanderous. Unless of course. You're the CEO, head of R&D or QC. Unless you're one of the latter mentioned I wouldn't flap my lips that much. Be careful because you 'work' for them. I believe R&D/QC do survey these websites. It would be very interesting what they thought of your post. I mean representing Bravo like this.

ant
    FORT Fan

Wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Lolasdad
    Well, Ant, since I am a marketing executive with NBC and Bravo and am involved in these types of discussions on a daily basis, I think I am uniquely qualified to "flap my lips". So, now that we've established my qualifications, let's address some of the things you mention in your post:

"The gay population is a formidable force. It's a profit magnet." - of course it is, and every major corporation with something to sell knows it. But those corporations also know that embracing the gay market puts them at risk of alienating other, equally lucrative markets.

"To allude to Lolasdad's response to say that Bravo would not want to associate itself as a gay network is rather a tad prententious." - I'm not alluding to anything. What I said was true. It ha nothing to do with wanting or not wanting to be associated with the gay community. It's about business. Cable networks rely on license fees first and ad revenue second. Cable operators pay the license fees. If cable operators are unhappy with a network's "brand", they won't carry the network. At the moment, being considered a "gay network" makes you almost impossible to sell. Good, bad or indifferent, that's just the way it is.

"Bravo doesn't want to run BMB again because it wasn't such a ratings winner. I mean compared to QEFTSG." - Not true. BMB's ratings have been among the highest the network has ever gotten. It is second only to Queer Eye.

"I believe R&D/QC do survey these websites." - Of course they do. How do you think I found this one?

Most of what I've said has been my opinion, based on knowledge that I have. I'm not about to discuss anything here that's confidential or hasn't already been said.
    Thanks for this prolific document!

ant
    FORT Fan
    Well, you kind of asked for it.
    Indeed I did! I appreciate it...

ant
    FORT Fan

Programs

I guess gay big brother and gay survivor's out of the question. dammit! I'm thankful to Bravo. They fill the void for my missing Queer As Folk.

Guys--

p.s. -- let's not loose sight of the fact that it's just television. make no mistake, James knew what he was getting himself into. If you like it, great, if you don't, change the channel.

I think the problem people are having is that James DID NOT know what he was getting into. It seems to me that he THOUGHT he was on the show to find someone special. He did NOT know that half the guys were straight, and many of us think that kind of "trick" on James was cruel. Obviously, NBC/Bravo don't really care how this "twist" affected James as long as it got the ratings. We can still feel sorry for him for being used in this way.

The problem I had (as I've said) isn't the twist of adding straight guys per se, but the AMOUNT of straight guys. I suppose that once I saw the marketing I should have expected it (all of the ads were about "who's gay and who's straight" not "will James find love"), but still. I think I'm just a hopeless romantic, really.

-- Joe

FORT Newbie

Nothing cruel about straights being on BMB

I believe that including straight contestants was an accurate reflection of what it's like for a gay person to live in a predominately straight society. There are many times when I've felt an attraction for someone not knowing whether he was straight or gay. In all those cases he was friendly to the point where I wanted to believe that he was gay. Trouble was I wake up one morning and find that he is straight after all. Oh well life goes on. I don't view the situation as a cruel one merely another lesson learned. And so it is with James. He'll get over it. We all do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast