+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Only one more? Which one? (SPOILERS)

FORT Fan
    If you rewatch the episodes in hindsight, youll probably see many of the signs more clearly. Overall, youre all right, the whole thing is cruel to James...but again manipulation is the name of th e game on these series. As someone who once worked on a daytime talk show that was often criticized, I find it ironic that we have all this success with these reality shows that are even more cruel... But again most of the people on these sh ows should be vary wary - and if they decide to continue with the risk -theyre going for the publicity or money etc... Only way to stop it would be to stop watching and have ratings go down... Until then, these shows make a lot of money but as anyone who has been on reality shows will tell you - its not real - lots of editing - lots of restaging - lots of producer involvement etc... It will be interesting to see if the upcoming Bravo special REALITY BEHIND REALITY will really tell 'secrets' or not. Most people who work on these shows often have to sign confidentiality agreements. I know I did, yet I did work with a journalist on a story as long as I was referred to as a source - and not clearly identified... Nevertheless, although I got paid, I still was a bit concerned, when the reporter described me in a little too much detail.

Anyway I got sidetracked.

The thing with the straight guys pretending to be gay on this show (most of them) is that they were TRYING TOO HARD - You can see this and they were trying too much to act out some of the stereotypes that people associate with being gay... Others if you look closely into their eyes you can just see that their heart wasnt in it and you just get a vibe... They are also the ones who in interviews tend to talk about this more as a competition or 'strategy' of playing the game versus an experience to be had and love to be found. That being said, my understanding is this whole show was taped within a week's time...so its not like anyone can really fall in love in that time (its hard to believe that even on shows like the bachelor people can fall in love and propose in 6 weeks - and that EVERYONE who is a contestant is ALWAYS attracted and will ing to fight for the one main character - thats really silly in real life)

Also dont worry bout James - he looked fine on all his interviews - and if he felt a spark, th ere'd be no reason he couldnt call up and date someone that he didnt pick on the show...Plus its pretty strange that they didnt show any of the guys in the house wanting to date one another... True half of them were straight so that could h ave been a reason why, but youd think if you throw a diverse group of gay men into a house together, some of them would be more attracted to people other than James. Hes cute and seems like a nice guy but hes not going to be everyones type and everyones not going to be attracted to him - looks wise and personality

BTW, on the Bravo site, the "who do you think is gay" poll is running at Brian 22%, Franklin 46%, Wes 32%.

-- Joe

ant
    FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by jsciv
    BTW, on the Bravo site, the "who do you think is gay" poll is running at Brian 22%, Franklin 46%, Wes 32%.

-- Joe
    just checked the bravo site. for a sommalier franklin seem to be having trouble holding that flute. that's a dead giveaway that the bastard's (lol) straight. james did you see that?

There's a poll now up in our Official Polls forum on this very subject. Don't forget to head over there and vote!

Brian, Franklin, or Wes?

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonsinclair
    I think this thread proves that the 'social experiment' aspect - which is just a PR spin for the ratings twist - was interesting because after reading most of the posts on this thread, I can see that most of them were wrong in who they thought were gay or straight. Id be interested to hear those peoples comments now that theyve been proven wrong.
    With the exception of Sean my assessments have all been right (11/12 and I believe it will be 14/15 in the end). Why? Because I refuse to be swayed by sterotypes (hair, how well they dance, etc.) or my own physical attractions. I try to listen to what they say and what they do... the subtle stuff.

With regard to Sean, I just didn't think that anyone as sincere as he was could be deceptive. The clip of him saying goodnight to James looked like he was pulling James into a very romantic kiss. The reality of course was quite different. Based on what he said after he was eliminated (and throughout the show) it was clear that he had bought into the producers supposed interest in breaking down stereotypes. This naiveté explains his sincerity. Sean probably didn't think he was deceiving anyone so much as he was bucking stereotypes.

Plus its pretty strange that they didnt show any of the guys in the house wanting to date one another... True half of them were straight so that could have been a reason why, but youd think if you throw a diverse group of gay men into a house together, some of them would be more attracted to people other than James. Hes cute and seems like a nice guy but hes not going to be everyones type and everyones not going to be attracted to him - looks wise and personality
    Bostonsinclair (verbose be thy middle name), can I just call you Clair? Anyway, One of the mates did fall in love with someone else. Brian fell for fauxmo Dan. Anyway, according to Robb, there were intimacy restrictions in their contract, so he wasn't as distracted from James as a potential mate as he might have been.

Actually I paraphrased. This is the direct quotes:

If you're going to put 15 guys in a house, there's going to be some attractions," Wes admits. "But we signed a contract saying we would not have any kind of physical relation, besides, and I quote, 'open mouth kissing and close embracing.' So we went in there with a non-sexual vibe."

"Had that not been specified, some things could have and would have happened," Robb continues. "Knowing that couldn't happen, I went into it with a different perspective. It made things a lot easier; there wasn't too much of a temptation."

Gotta Be Franklin

The last remaining straight guy has to be Franklin. Notice during the last elimination "ceremony" how the guys were paired. The producers of the show would want at least one straight guy to remain, so they grouped 2 sets of gay guys, and one set of straight guys. Franklin's "partner" was revealed to be straight when he was eliminated.

I think this thread proves that the 'social experiment' aspect - which is just a PR spin for the ratings twist - was interesting because after reading most of the posts on this thread, I can see that most of them were wrong in who they thought were gay or straight. Id be interested to hear those peoples comments now that theyve been proven wrong.
    While I am not sure that most people were proven wrong-There was a lot of static to interfere with gaydar.-after all. This is television and the images we saw of the mates were presented (manipulated) by the producers to lead us to certain conclusions. Sean, for example, wasn't on screen all that much. It was easy to interprete his behavior as you desired. I think we've seen more of Wes than anyone for whatever that
    means.
    And straight on towards morning

FORT Regular

this show's TWISTED

I'm guessing JAMES went into this "game" having
    signed that he would abide by every "condition"
    regarding his elimination options. His 1st elim was
    difficult and long. The grouping of the 2nd elim
    helped him, regarding his indecision. By the 3rd elim,
    however, I'm thinking 'what if he wants to keep all 3
    guys in the group?' This did not seem to pose a problem,
    however, we (the captive audience) have figured out that
    by these groupings, the producers are ensuring that a
    "straght" guy reaches the finals.

The fact that "straight guys," "closeted players," or
    "ambiguous bi's" were in the "game" at all was a
    cruel twist.

Who came up with that? A twisted sister? A bitter
    straight fish? A homophobic straight WASP? And
    SEVEN "straights" out of 15 potentials? Why didn't
    they just make all 15 straight so JAMES would be
    sure to be humiliated. That was the point of the "twist"
    wasn't it?

Obviously, since SEAN (did you see that guy's table
    manners? gag) and FRANKLIN were in the same
    group, then Franklin is the remaining "straight" guy
    (he wishes!) JAMES has been attracted to FRANKLIN
    from the beginning, so even if he hadn't been paired
    with SEAN, he'd have survived the 4th elim.

The fact that JAMES liked SEAN at all demonstrates
    he prefers a "cheeseball" (his word) straight guy to
    any number of gay guys who all had a crush on him.

So why does JAMES like FRANKLIN? James in my
    opinion is a "girl" and he wants a tall guy to be the
    more dominant partner. Franklin (in addition to being
    drop-dead gorgeous) has too big hair for his too big
    ears, and great big hands, and James finds all that
    bigness promising.

And what are JAMES' chances of finding love with
    WES or BRIAN? zilch. Brian fell for DAN, and
    WES is a player, which James seems to intuit.

So, Brian fell for a straight guy and James is most
    likely going to choose the straight guy. He could
    just choose Brian to get to go on the vacation with
    him and not risk having WES or FRANKLIN ending
    up being "straight," about which "twist" he has finally
    been advised. (And poor ANDRA, she invested so
    much emotion and hope into this venture!)

In addition, DARREN proclaimed he did not like
    "feminine guys." The theme of this "reality show"
    has apparently evolved into "gay guys go for
    straight guys." KEN

+ Reply to Thread