+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Franklin

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlex
    Franklin doesn't need my approval or opinion, but I don't feel particularly sorry for him, nor do I admire his 'sensitivity'. His confession speech was about how frightened he was of being exposed, how he was experiencing something of what gay people feel, etc. But missing was any sense of guilt that he had been leading James along, right down to the last seconds, playing the role of an interested suitor, fully intending to yank it away and get his money. There was no realapology to James for jerking him around, nor even an acknowledgement that there was anything wrong with his actions.

Franklin, if his conscience had ever bothered him, could have taken himself out any time pretty easily. He chose not to. While he (like James) got blindsided by the producers when James revealed that he knew about the 'twist', any discomfort he felt was entirely of his own making. And even at that moment, he seemed to wrestle with the idea of brazening it out and denying James's accusation.

The sad thing is that there are plenty of women out there who will be happy to date Franklin (oh, the poor puppy), even though he has shown himself capable of doing or saying anything to get what he wants.
    Not true. At least twice in the (edited, I'm sure) confrontation he said "I'm sorry". What else could he say within the allotted time?

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolasdad
    I guess everybody sees things differently, but I came away thinking that he felt genuinely bad and guilty about leading James on. But either way, it's not like some rogue straight guy snuck onto the show and secretly infiltrated the otherwise gay mates, in order to hoodwink poor unsuspecting James. If it hadn't been him, it would have been at least one of six other guys. As far as taking himself out of the game, unless you consider facing a pretty hefty lawsuit easy, that was pretty unlikely. And since he obviously knew about the twist and knew that it would come to light sooner or later, you could hardly assert that he was blindsided.
    True, true. We all seem to forget about the bloody contracts. Perhaps Robb can tell us how those contracts were structured; particularly in re giving your answers at the point (during the elimination ceremonies) when James asks you if you'll stay. Robb, what if someone had said no?

Quote Originally Posted by tubey
    True, true. We all seem to forget about the bloody contracts. Perhaps Robb can tell us how those contracts were structured; particularly in re giving your answers at the point (during the elimination ceremonies) when James asks you if you'll stay. Robb, what if someone had said no?

Not only that but, if Franklin knew that the str8s were being grouped together in the ceremony, his begging off (like, say, Matt) wouldn't have helped James any. In retrospect, I don't think Bravo would've pursued anyone on the contracts (would be a PR nightmare), but as an early 20-something I don't think Franklin would have felt he had a choice.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kermit
    Not only that but, if Franklin knew that the str8s were being grouped together in the ceremony, his begging off (like, say, Matt) wouldn't have helped James any. In retrospect, I don't think Bravo would've pursued anyone on the contracts (would be a PR nightmare), but as an early 20-something I don't think Franklin would have felt he had a choice.
    I don't agree with the notion that the producers and/or network would not have pursued legal action. The network had millions of dollars invested in this show and, while Bravo might have been able to absob such a loss, the production company is another story. If any of the participants had backed out and the show was able to air, the production company would almost certainly go after the person who walked out in order to ensure its survival.

I don't agree with the notion that the producers and/or network would not have pursued legal action. The network had millions of dollars invested in this show and, while Bravo might have been able to absob such a loss, the production company is another story. If any of the participants had backed out and the show was able to air, the production company would almost certainly go after the person who walked out in order to ensure its survival.

Well I think you got the right idea that its a risk/reward analysis. But pursuing individuals on a breach of contract claim really wouldn't do anything for their "losses" . . . none of these kids are deep pockets (well, financially anyway). Nothinhg that's really going to make a production company "whole". Moreover the cost of even starting a legal action is going to way outweigh the financial benefits. You've got turnips trying to squeeze blood from turnips.

In the end, the primary purpose in going after an individual is for its so-called "in terrorem effect" (i.e., to scare and make an example out of them). Were the contestants Donalt Trump, Dan Rather, and Andy Rooney (ok, bad mental image), it would be a different story. Anyway, given the politics in pursuing a straight man because he developed a conscience during the show would hit the bottom line far more damaging than scrapping the shoe string show (Bravo would make it worth the production company's while to let it all lay low). Bottom line -- would they want to risk their gay viewership on Queer Eye (especially with a possible move to NBC) over a six-week date show under these circumstances ?

FORT Newbie
    Well I think you got the right idea that its a risk/reward analysis. But pursuing individuals on a breach of contract claim really wouldn't do anything for their "losses" . . . none of these kids are deep pockets (well, financially anyway). Nothinhg that's really going to make a production company "whole". Moreover the cost of even starting a legal action is going to way outweigh the financial benefits. You've got turnips trying to squeeze blood from turnips.

In the end, the primary purpose in going after an individual is for its so-called "in terrorem effect" (i.e., to scare and make an example out of them). Were the contestants Donalt Trump, Dan Rather, and Andy Rooney (ok, bad mental image), it would be a different story. Anyway, given the politics in pursuing a straight man because he developed a conscience during the show would hit the bottom line far more damaging than scrapping the shoe string show (Bravo would make it worth the production company's while to let it all lay low). Bottom line -- would they want to risk their gay viewership on Queer Eye (especially with a possible move to NBC) over a six-week date show under these circumstances ?
    Possibly. But either way, I'm sure the threat of a lawsuit weighed heavily on everyone's decisions (if the question of staying or going ever even came up for the mates).

On a related note, NBC has no plans of adding QE to it's line-up. The shows they have run have been designed to guide viewers to Bravo.

Possibly. But either way, I'm sure the threat of a lawsuit weighed heavily on everyone's decisions (if the question of staying or going ever even came up for the mates).

Lolasdad -- I'm sure you're right about that. Didn't James say as much in one of his interviews (perhaps for out.com)?

On a related note, NBC has no plans of adding QE to it's line-up. The shows they have run have been designed to guide viewers to Bravo.
    Gotcha -- not sure why I thought otherwise. Maybe someone suggested as much when we first learned of the Late Show appearance.

FORT Newbie
    Gotcha -- not sure why I thought otherwise. Maybe someone suggested as much when we first learned of the Late Show appearance.
    Yeah, I've heard that rumor a few times. Maybe people just assume that it will happen, but there are no plans.

Yeah, I've heard that rumor a few times. Maybe people just assume that it will happen, but there are no plans.

Actually, I'm kinda glad a move is not in the works just yet. I think a big network treatment could be kinda dangerous for QE. Its nice and cozy where it is.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Braniganlee
    So, last night was something special and Iím now officially addicted to Boy Meets Boy. Despite the fact that i know Franklin/ John from Marquette, this is quality programming. At any rate, Franklin's performance last night was something spectacular. He did fumble through his hybrid eye/jaw dissertation, which was so uncomfortable that i was almost forced to change the channel. However, during the subsequent hug after the awkward exchange of homoerotic compliments, Franklin buried his mug into Jamesís neck effectually canceling out the potential hetero-y comments about jaws and collective gorgeousness. That said, I just don't know a lot of straight guys who stray very far from the hug and hit combo for displays of acceptance and affection. Let alone diving face first into some strangerís neck. Again, take it with a grain of salt for as of the past few days i have confirmed some of Franklinís heterosexual exploits. Yet, even with my unfortunate familiarity with the real Franklin, the jury is still out in regards to his orientation. The only thing that is for sure is that the kid was as wierd as a seven dollar bill here at MU ra-ra.

Cheers
    It would be interesting to hear what you have to say now that the show is over and he has declared a "team". I for one still think that he's seriously conflicted and is probably just keeping his options open.

Cheers, also.

+ Reply to Thread