+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Franklin

ant
    FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by FranFan
    Thanks, Joe. We are a little isolated in the suburbs.
    lol. sooner or later you're gonna have a book of terms about gay linggo. this forum's both informative and educational.
    matt's website (go and check it out and join the fun/excitement- there's 5 bmb members posting and counting - please click below):
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boy_Meets_Boy/

FORT Regular

I guess I will LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ant
    lol. sooner or later you're gonna have a book of terms about gay linggo. this forum's both informative and educational.
    I am beginning to believe that I am somewhat out of touch with what used to be my "nightlife in the city". LOL

Speaking of out of touch, (I asked this in another thread too) did anyone else feel that James was somewhat contradictory in his statements in episode 5? Every time I watch it, I hear the same contradictions - is it just me?

FranFan

FORT Regular
    For all you Franklin fans, I've copied a post I placed on another thread in here. This is how I see the pairings situation throughout the show's run.

First I've placed the original pairings post I read about. Then there is my theory. Here it goes.

fizban said:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The producers have been playing that "keep the straight guys on the show" since week 2.

Week 2:
    Jim (S) Franklin (?) Sean (S) Dan (S)
    Wes (?) Michael (S) Robb (G) Paul (S)
    Matt (G) Brian (?) Marc (G) Darren (G)

If you want to be sure you have plenty of straight guys and gay guys going forward, have one group of all straight guys and one group of all gay guys.

Week 3:
    Michael (S) Sean (S) Robb (G)
    Darren (G) Brian (?) Matt (G)
    Franklink (?) Dan (S) Wes (?)

Want to make sure that you have at least two straight guys going into week 4, put two straight guys together into two separate groups. That way even if James eliminates a straight guy from each of those groups (which he did by the way), you will still have two straight guys left.

Week 4:
    Brian (?) Darren (G)
    Wes (?) Robb (G)
    Franklin (?) Sean (S)

As Malan36 pointed out, the producers can guarantee a straight participant in week 5 by pairing two straight guys up together.

The producers have been playing a game with their groupings since the second week. James was devastated because he had mistakenly chosen a straight guy to continue into week 5. He had no choice. In fact he's done a remarkably good job of eliminating straight guys every time the producers have given him a chance. In any grouping that had both straight and gay guys, he has *always* eliminated a straight guy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another way to break this down.

The producer's of the show probably figured that people would watch the pairing situations, since it's a new twist to the dating reality show genre. This, inturn, would open the door for accusations that they "fixed" the outcome, if they had an entirely straight group in each round.

To prevent any such criticism, they could have decided to place at least one gay guy in a predominantly straight group, therefore assuring that several straights made it through to the next round. They could then argue that they never set James up to end up with a straight suitor, because he always had a gay choice.

This theory. and I'm not saying it's right, would work if Wes is the straight guy, and Franklin is the gay one.

It would then work out like this...

Week 2:
    Jim (S) Franklin (G) Sean (S) Dan (S)
    Wes (S) Michael (S) Robb (G) Paul (S)
    Matt (G) Brian (G) Marc (G) Darren (G)

Here, we have 2 predominantly straight groups...where one was let go, assuring straights make it through.

Week 3:
    Michael (S) Sean (S) Robb (G)
    Darren (G) Brian (G) Matt (G)
    Franklink (G) Dan (S) Wes (S)

Again, it works. The producers could claim they always had a gay guy in each group. Plus, if stereotypical gay guys were James appeal, he would have probably gotten rid of Franklin in this round, leaving 2 straights.

Week 4:
    Brian (G) Darren (G)
    Wes (S) Robb (G)
    Franklin (G) Sean (S)

Again, there's always a gay guy in the group. This is where the disclaimer at the end of the show comes into play. They have consulted with James prior to the eliminations, but the choices were James. The producers would have known, based on James' and Andra's statements, that he had little chemistry with Robb, so Wes would make it through, and that he couldn't figure Sean out, so he'd pick Franklin...allowing a 2 to 1 gay/straight finale.

I know this is looking way into it, but no more so than the all straight group assumption. I just feel that the show, and it's producers, would be setting themselves up for major criticism far beyond what they've already heard, not to mention potential law suits, had they made it impossible for James to not wind up with a straight guy in the final 3.

They also focussed so much attention on the date with Wes, that it's strange to think he'll be the ultimate winner. It was too leading for a reality show...in particular this one. Also, the kiss...James said to Wes specifically how important kissing is. If Wes wanted the money, of course he would kiss him...

Just my two cents. Any thoughts about this?

I still think it's Franklin who's straight. The producers haven't shown the guile necessary for what you suggest with the rest of the series, so why would they have been doing it there?

-- Joe

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by smatt1973

I know this is looking way into it, but no more so than the all straight group assumption. I just feel that the show, and it's producers, would be setting themselves up for major criticism far beyond what they've already heard, not to mention potential law suits, had they made it impossible for James to not wind up with a straight guy in the final 3.

They also focussed so much attention on the date with Wes, that it's strange to think he'll be the ultimate winner. It was too leading for a reality show...in particular this one. Also, the kiss...James said to Wes specifically how important kissing is. If Wes wanted the money, of course he would kiss him...

Just my two cents. Any thoughts about this?
    Wow, that was a great breakdown, to see it laid out like that. Thanks so much!

The assumption still would work if Brian was the straight guy though, wouldn't it? or am I missing something?

Sometimes I have these little doubts that the producers would be so simple as to think we wouldn't at least suspect the selection arrangement. Given that shows like these always have to keep the guessers guessing, it's probably right that they didn't rely on 'forcing' a straight guy in. I'm not sure if they would have cared about criticism, but I'm sure that if it's true, in the end we the viewers would have a more 'wow!?' reaction to the final unveiling. We would be more astounded.

I've always thought that Wes is gay, and still can't fathom that he's not. However, if he is straight, it would really be a coup for the show.

We also tried analyzing the promo for the final ep... but now that I think about it, though they give some clues as to who James declares is straight and who he toasts champagne with, we still have not gotten any clue as to who the REAL straight guy is.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by foody
    Wow, that was a great breakdown, to see it laid out like that. Thanks so much!

The assumption still would work if Brian was the straight guy though, wouldn't it? or am I missing something?

Sometimes I have these little doubts that the producers would be so simple as to think we wouldn't at least suspect the selection arrangement. Given that shows like these always have to keep the guessers guessing, it's probably right that they didn't rely on 'forcing' a straight guy in. I'm not sure if they would have cared about criticism, but I'm sure that if it's true, in the end we the viewers would have a more 'wow!?' reaction to the final unveiling. We would be more astounded.

I've always thought that Wes is gay, and still can't fathom that he's not. However, if he is straight, it would really be a coup for the show.

We also tried analyzing the promo for the final ep... but now that I think about it, though they give some clues as to who James declares is straight and who he toasts champagne with, we still have not gotten any clue as to who the REAL straight guy is.
    Exactly. James could be way off, and the guy he assumed to be straight could in fact, be gay.

He was also really angry with the show. So maybe he did pick the straight one in the end.

Hell, they should give him 25K either way for putting up with the deception.

Quote Originally Posted by smatt1973
    .....He was also really angry with the show. So maybe he did pick the straight one in the end.

Hell, they should give him 25K either way for putting up with the deception.
    From your mouth to the devil's ears.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by foody
    ..The assumption still would work if Brian was the straight guy though, wouldn't it? or am I missing something?..
    smatt, actually I went back to your breakdown and realized that given what you said, then the assumption would not work if Brian was the straight one. If Wes was the straight one, each selection time there is always one all-gay group. With Brian as straight, this wouldn't be the case.... though one could argue that since they knew beforehand who James was partial to they could have eked by with their groupings if B was straight.... Anyway, sigh!

What's scaring me is that your theory is really starting to make sense. It's a perfect middle ground between the two extreme theories -- a) if it was pretty much random, with mixed groups in each selection (which would mean that the producers were leaving quite a bit to chance) or b) if they contrived it to force a straight guy in at each selection (which would show their hand and point to Franklin as the straight one).

I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle the confrotation between Wes and James is Wes is the straight guy!

FORT Regular
    During the date to the spa, as mentioned above, JAMES
    began expressing his suspicion. FRANKLIN responded to this
    with the same tact he took on the first one-on-one: flattery.
    At no time did FRANKLIN indicate to JAMES that he was or
    could fall in love with him. He only told JAMES what a great
    wonderful guy JAMES is. My biggest problem with JAMES on
    this date was when the boys were changing to their bathrobes
    prior to their massage. Probably because of modesty (nothing
    wrong with that--it just worked against him here) JAMES kept
    his back to FRANKLIN while JAMES was removing his clothes.
    He should have been making eye contact with FRANKLIN to
    determine if there was any lust there. I don't believe there was.
    FRANKLIN therefore remains my main suspect as being
    "straight", and if not that, then a mis-match for JAMES for sure.
    KEN

Franklin's a Gemini, James is a Cancer. It would never work anyway, gay or straight.

+ Reply to Thread