+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Franklin

A real cool cat. Halloween_Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolMeOnce
    I was just wondering .. if Franklin ends up being eliminated because he "seems" like he's the "most obvious straight guy", but ends up actually being gay, what THAT would say about stereotypes.
    It would say that we, as gay men, even after years of being exposed to gay culture after coming out, are just as easily swayed by stereotypes as most heterosexual people. After all, it is THEY who raised us as children, and we live in their culture as adults. We learn these patterns of stereotyping early on and it's very difficult to overcome them.

It's a complicated matter and it would take pages and pages to address. Such a topic needs its own website.

ant
    FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Halloween_Jack
    It would say that we, as gay men, even after years of being exposed to gay culture after coming out, are just as easily swayed by stereotypes as most heterosexual people. After all, it is THEY who raised us as children, and we live in their culture as adults. We learn these patterns of stereotyping early on and it's very difficult to overcome them.

It's a complicated matter and it would take pages and pages to address. Such a topic needs its own website.
    stereotypes are easy. it's human and familiar. it's our surety.

FORT Regular
    We saw some stereotyping right in the show. Not to hammer on the bi thing too hard, but there's more bi-phobia in the gay community than in the straight, IMO -- and we saw that in the case of Michael. Granted, it was not a good way to play it, but he basically got eliminated by identifying as bi.

FORT Regular
    Has anyone out there found out anything about Franklin outside of the show??? It seems there's been plenty about Wes and Brian. There's got to be something...right?

as to stereotypes, it seems to me that these days too many folks see them as "inherently evil" or totally evil when MOST stereotypes actually have a basis in fact

we have all stereotyped in our guessing to some extent-- i think the abuse of stereotyping is when you project the stereotype on all members of a group and the only evilness in it is when you discriminate on the basis of the stereotyped group

while too many straight folks may stereotype all gay men as nelly, flaming, flamboyant, effiminate etc.-- the less broad stereotype employed by many of us still looks to style (hair, fashion, etc.), mannerisms (speech, hands, walks, etc.), employment (shirtless bartenders, hairstylists, waiters, florists, etc.) to form an opinion on someone whose sexual orientation we don't know
    can you help me OUT?

DFE
    FORT Newbie

I Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by FranFan
    I agree that all three of the finalists are too young. I was very sad that James let Matt and Marc go. They were closer to his own age and I suspect much more grounded.

JMO

I've found his choices odd too. If he is looking to settle down, what's with all the young guys? I thought Marc was one of the best bets for what he was looking for, but James barely noticed him. Apparently he is still attracted to the boys rather then to man, which probably explains why someone who has so much going for him ended up on TV looking for Mr. Right. I wonder if they selected James as the leading man and then tried to find guys that he would be attracted to, or if they just interviewed a bunch of guys and picked one of them to be the Leading Man and the runners up for the suiters. It just seems odd that most of the Mates are so young, unless they are the ones more willing to put themselves through something like this.

FORT Regular

You have my new theory in a nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by FoolMeOnce
    I was just wondering .. if Franklin ends up being eliminated because he "seems" like he's the "most obvious straight guy", but ends up actually being gay, what THAT would say about stereotypes.
    This is exactly, and succintly, what I was thinking last night. I have a feeling Franklin was eliminated - for the wrong reason.

I found Brian to be completely evasive in answering James' questions, and there were times that Wes was not very forthcoming. If Wes really wanted James, wouldn't he have said something about his "last boyfriend"?

Brian has never been on a date before? That seems odd too if he is 29 years old.

James was tainted going into his date with Franklin. He was shell-shocked from "the twist" - Franklin was the only date that day. He had preconceived notions about his being the "most obvious straight guy". He didn't try to kiss Franklin, I think he had already written Franklin off.

James did say at the end that he felt much better at the end of the second day of dates (Brian and Wes), than he did the previous day (Franklin).

I could be all wrong about this, as Bravo has played more than one too many games with my head - let alone James and Andra. Who knows if they are using a hand double in the "final champagne" promo?

Trust Bravo I do not.

JMO

ant
    FORT Fan
    This is exactly, and succintly, what I was thinking last night. I have a feeling Franklin was eliminated - for the wrong reason.

I found Brian to be completely evasive in answering James' questions, and there were times that Wes was not very forthcoming. If Wes really wanted James, wouldn't he have said something about his "last boyfriend"?

Brian has never been on a date before? That seems odd too if he is 29 years old.

James was tainted going into his date with Franklin. He was shell-shocked from "the twist" - Franklin was the only date that day. He had preconceived notions about his being the "most obvious straight guy". He didn't try to kiss Franklin, I think he had already written Franklin off.

James did say at the end that he felt much better at the end of the second day of dates (Brian and Wes), than he did the previous day (Franklin).

I could be all wrong about this, as Bravo has played more than one too many games with my head - let alone James and Andra. Who knows if they are using a hand double in the "final champagne" promo?

Trust Bravo I do not.

JMO
    it could simply be a magic of editing. with no distinct profile. it's hard to tell.
    matt's website (go and check it out and join the fun/excitement- there's 5 bmb members posting and counting - please click below):
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boy_Meets_Boy/

FORT Fan

Trust Bravo I do not.

JMO
    I don't think it's always prudent to talk about ex's -- sometimes the memory of it is so aggravating that you tend to get worked up over it and that's not the face you want to show someone you've just met. It's intimate information that needs to be told when he feels like he can trust James. (Example being the divorced person who starts off his/her date ranting about the ex)

Brian didn't say he never went on a date before; he said that he's never had a date before -- "date", as in, from the date tree.

I agree that somewhere James had 'written him off' like you said, before he had gone on the date. It was like wanted concrete proof Franklin wasn't straight from the date and didn't get it. Was it just me, but did James seem a little put off by Franklin's gushing over dinner (the 'remarkable person you are' remark). I felt like James was taking it as a line rather than a true compliment.

ant
    FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by foody
    Was it just me, but did James seem a little put off by Franklin's gushing over dinner (the 'remarkable person you are' remark). I felt like James was taking it as a line rather than a true compliment.
    yeah i noticed that too, but remember frank's the first date. he was the first litmust test after the bad after taste (r/t straight twist).
    matt's website (go and check it out and join the fun/excitement- there's 5 bmb members posting and counting - please click below):
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boy_Meets_Boy/

+ Reply to Thread