+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: James - The Leading Man

19th or 14th Century/depending on how I feel
    Quote Originally Posted by smatt1973
    The thing is, we're watching an editted program. Expressions we see didn't necessarily come from what we thought we saw. Franklin's reaction to the kissing is a perfect example. He had a similar expression when Robb said "Oh, look I'm so great". He was pissed. So, who the hell knows what Franklin really saw.

Sure, there are emotions at play here, but it's a reality show. If you go in expecting to be tricked at some point, you've got to be a bit naive. It's all about entertaining the audience...not about the feelings of the participants involved. Sad...but true. And we're all facilitating it by watching. And you know what...I'm okay with that.

There are a lot of things we don't see. After all, they didn't film 24 hours a day and even if they did can you imagine the footage that had to be deleted? I know I wouldn't have time to watch that much TV.

19th or 14th Century/depending on how I feel
    GREAT POINT. No matter what people say, stereotypes are breaking down. Franklin, after all was the one who we saw cry at the end when he read the letter, and needed a hug. If he is in fact the straight guy, what does that say about emotions in straight men? We have yet to see a gay guy cry.
    Excuse me, but haven't we seen James tear up a couple of times?

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by alixtheweaver
    Excuse me, but haven't we seen James tear up a couple of times?
    Got me there. Of the "mates" however, Franklin has been the only one to cry.

FORT Newbie
    Hi all! here's my question:
    If James' contract was worded in the way that he had to accept any and all "twists" that may be revealed wouldn't he have guessed that str8 guys in the mix might be a twist to look out for? He and Andra seem so surprised when Dani spills the beans...they really look blindsided!

Like smatt1973 said in his extremely well written post, if James was misled, he could have sued the show. But even with the twist and how humiliating it is for him, he has still agreed to continue. why??? I'd be spitting blood!! (or at least, pink champagne!)

I'm just hoping someone from Bravo is reading all of our opinions and feeling bad about what they've done.......................... ...............

yeah, RIGHT!!!!!

HI new here...

When James said WOW I think that was the most expressive way I have ever heard that word used. Because when he said that I heard in that one word and coupled with the look on his face, Shock, hurt, anger, disbelief, and humilation and at that moment my heart broke for him. So Andra if you really do read thru these postings give James my Best and tell him that he will find that special someone out there. And not to settle for second best, cause he is first class in my book........... and so are you for being such a good friend to him.

Guardian

That is such a good post. I believe the word was understated, while the shock was raging inside. He probably was trying to digest the shock, figure out who deceived him, etc.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Guardian

That is such a good post. I believe the word was understated, while the shock was raging inside. He probably was trying to digest the shock, figure out who deceived him, etc.

Just be aware, even though it is a reality show, I am sure
    it is heavily scripted, just like any other reality show like the
    joe millionaire, bachelor etc. They could have possibly enacted
    at least James's reaction, if not the revelation itself. And the
    reaction could have been enacted much later giving him enough
    time to sink in the shock & the revelation.
    James, this is a guy who shed tears after eliminating 3 guys.
    And with this revelation, he is still sitting, his face freezes for a short
    pause and he only says "WOW". Hard to believe. His whole reaction
    could'nt have been more serene, contained and artificial.
    Put yourself in his place and see how you would react? I
    be outraged , just stand up and say "What? What did u say?"
    And the contracts might forbid the participants from ever
    revealing publicly if and how heavily were the shows scripted.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by basiema
    Hi all! here's my question:
    If James' contract was worded in the way that he had to accept any and all "twists" that may be revealed wouldn't he have guessed that str8 guys in the mix might be a twist to look out for? He and Andra seem so surprised when Dani spills the beans...they really look blindsided!

Like smatt1973 said in his extremely well written post, if James was misled, he could have sued the show. But even with the twist and how humiliating it is for him, he has still agreed to continue. why??? I'd be spitting blood!! (or at least, pink champagne!)

I'm just hoping someone from Bravo is reading all of our opinions and feeling bad about what they've done.......................... ...............

yeah, RIGHT!!!!!
    I am sure all these Giant Networks have actually done a lot of
    legal work with teams & teams of lawyers to ensure they can't be
    sued back. The contracts they have, we will never know what they
    contain.
    Whats on air, all the time the hostess has been specific to say
    just "15 guys" or " 6 guys" "delicious charming guys" . She never says "gay guys". If James were to sue, the network will say we
    never mentioned the sexual orientation of the participants.
    Anyway, the networks are just interested in getting ratings.
    They don't care if James finds love or not. They are making
    a TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by nu_vega
    Just be aware, even though it is a reality show, I am sure
    it is heavily scripted, just like any other reality show like the
    joe millionaire, bachelor etc. They could have possibly enacted
    at least James's reaction, if not the revelation itself. And the
    reaction could have been enacted much later giving him enough
    time to sink in the shock & the revelation.
    Actually, reveals like that are usually one of the few things that AREN'T scripted on reality shows. Non-actors usually aren't capable of recreating honest reactions. This is one of the reasons Trading Spaces (the king of scripted-moment reality shows) ALWAYS makes sure that their end-of-show reveals are adequately covered -- although they re-enact many moments, the reveal is sacred.

Quote Originally Posted by nu_vega
    James, this is a guy who shed tears after eliminating 3 guys.
    And with this revelation, he is still sitting, his face freezes for a short
    pause and he only says "WOW". Hard to believe. His whole reaction
    could'nt have been more serene, contained and artificial.
    See my other posts on this. His reaction is TOTALLY believable because of the personality type that he is. I'm the same way. I'd shut down in front of the camera just like he did. I suspect we'll see more of his feelings once he's back with Andra and feels safer.

-- Joe

FORT Fan

Temptation Island? Gimme a break

Comparing this show to Temptation Island is ridiculous - Temptation Island contestants know what they are getting into... and lets be real...anyone with a real relationship who cared about their partner wouldnt go on this type of reality show... Its the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard. People go on Temptation to be on tv and for their share of stardom ( as evidenced by interviews with people on previous editions).... If you are serious about your relationship, you dont need to go on an island with dozens of attractive half-naked people to determine whether your relationship is solid or not... Just by going youre already putting a nail in your coffin...

First of all...I love James, he's a sweet, sincere, caring guy...or so he's been portrayed...but come on everyone!!! It's a reality show. There have been just as bad things done to staright people. Temptation Island anyone...where they send couples in order to see who will cheat??? That's just sick. Okay, they knew about the point, but it's still sick.

Anyone who agrees to enter a reality show is up for any twist, turn, or dive. It's all about ratings, and quite frankly, the "twist" has made this show more interesting. It's been fun figuring it out. And I'm sure, that in his contract, it was stipulated that pretty much anything goes. Otherwise, they could have been sued...and maybe still will be.

Also, this whole show was taped over a week. Not enought time to be devestated or heartbroken...especially since cameras were following the whole time, and only kissing was allowed. No one slept with James, got to really spend quality time with him, or learn much about him at all, and vice versa.

Sure, the twist is kind of cruel, but lets face it, the straight guys who participated, aren't exactly raging homophobes. They probably thought it would be interesting. I mean, any straight guy with issues about homosexuality, would never have signed up in the first place. And they probably were sold on the idea by the producers in terms of opening up minds about what gay men and straight men look like (yes, just the appearance, and behaviors).

+ Reply to Thread